Software
Houzz Logo Print
darryl_liscomb

No lawn, Only weeds

7 years ago

live is asheville NC and my new lawn is literally only weeds. How do I get rid of them all the best way possible?

Comments (6)

  • 7 years ago

    FFor the broadleaf weeds, use Weed-g-Gon. Read the directions 3x and make sure to keep the pup off for the right time after spraying.

    It does not work overnight for most weeds, so have a little patience. All weeds should be dead in 3 weeks. That will leave you with bare spots. At your location you will have time to seed northern grasses (fescue, rye, Kentucky bluegrass) or resod with southern grasses St Augustine or hybrid bermuda. You could not seed bermuda and expect great results at this time of year. The best time for seeding bermuda is at the hottest heat of summer.

    Are you interested in keeping the lawn pretty nice? How active is the dog? Any other activities planned for the lawn area?

  • 7 years ago

    thinking about clover yard in the back for now, so not super nice. it needs to be regarded and leveled off but that wont happen for another year or so. the dog is not very active, and just a couple other lawn activities planned.

  • 7 years ago

    You also have a cat infestation. :-)

    It's not literally all weeds. You have a good base lawn with some weeds.

    For now? Sweep the deck if you must, but realize that you have to address the base issues or you'll get them back. The weeds that is. I presume the cat will be back as well.

    Feed the lawn appropriately. Get that to spread and strengthen it, and it'll help choke out those weeds. Mine does and, like 4paws1tail, with nary a chemical to be seen. They're just not needed.

    I've also tuned my soil like the philharmonic in terms of soil resources. It's not strictly necessary, although getting things in range always helps. Check out others' Logan soil tests for what that entails, it's really pretty easy.

  • 7 years ago

    If you want clover you're going to end up with the yard looking just like it does now. Why? Because clover will allow all the weeds you currently have to come back. Well, some may not come back, but it will simply add clover to the mix. I like clover, but to keep it clover can be much more of a chore than keeping it grass.

    When morph says he doesn't use chemicals, that is because he already used chemicals to obtain the ideal soil chemistry for his situation. I'm talking mostly about chemicals most people don't think about like magnesium, boron, sulfur, etc. Now that his chemistry is good, he can concentrate on the biology of the soil. Personally, I have skipped the chemistry part and focus on the biology as best I can. That means organic fertilizers. These are not chemicals unless you are extremely pedantic and call your cheeseburger a pile of chemicals. Organic fertilizers are made from food materials like corn, wheat, soybeans..., and animal feed like alfalfa and other crop materials.

    From (4paws1tail) experience grass takes tons of money, tons of chemicals, tons of knowledge and tons of time.

    I disagree entirely. It costs me about $5 per 1,000 square feet per year for alfalfa pellet fertilizer. The tons of knowledge I thought I knew was mostly crap as I learned over the years on this forum. And I spend about 90 minutes per month mowing. Lawn care boils down to this (in order of importance):

    Watering - deep and infrequently

    Mowing - at the mower's highest setting for most lawns

    Fertilizer - First app on Memorial Day, second on Labor Day, last around Thanksgiving. I strongly urge anyone to use organics for so many reasons that go beyond the scope of this reply.

    Reseed northern lawns as needed but in the fall. Reseed southern (bermuda) lawns in the hottest part of summer.

    If you do things like that you should have absolutely minimal weeds, disease, and insect issues. If weeds scare you, then preemergent when the forsythia blooms in the spring, spot spray weeds in mid April, spot spray weeds again in mid September, and preemergent again at the end of summer when it rains for several days.

    Here are a few inspirational pics for you.



    This was morph's lawn back in 2010 when it wasn't raining every week in the summer.



    This is mrmumbles test of alfalfa fertilizer in his zoysia lawn from 2011.

  • 7 years ago

    Two more pics



    This was my house before I moved in in 2014. It was 99.99% weeds with only a fringe of St Augustine along the patio line and east sides of the house.


    This is my lawn a few weeks ago. It's not perfect but much improved. It's ready for fertilizer this weekend. You can see where the grass has grown out and the weed line in the foreground. St Augustine just plows through everything (almost). It will fill in another 4 feet before the end of our growing season (October).