Software
Houzz Logo Print
harrod_justin

Help With Front Yard

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello All, I need help with my front yard. It hasn't faired too well these last two months. I live in Cleveland, Oh and I have a Midnight, Everest and Diva Kentucky Bluegrass Blend. My back yard looks great but not my front.

What should I do to fix it. I did put down weed and feed a week ago to get rid of the weeds I had. I don't know if there is a chance it will come back or if I should overseed in late September or wait until next spring.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks,




Comments (8)

  • 7 years ago

    Did you feed on Memorial Day? What kind of summer did you have? Did you irrigate over summer, or need to (was it rainy)?

    You have KBG, so you can probably get it to spread by feeding heavily in fall, although I'd suggest doing so organically. Feeding again around September 15th with Milorganite and again on October 1st should help with some spreading, and that'll also keep working right into spring. Then winterize with a good high-nitrogen synthetic when topgrowth stops.

    You can still seed if you want, but for KBG, it's best to seed early rather than late, so I'd move fast if you're going to do it...late September is really too late, and spring seedings are almost always doomed to fail when summer heat hits, so skip that idea.

  • 7 years ago

    I did feed on memorial day. I used Kinder blend turf maximizer https://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100011/kinder-blend-turf-maximizer-fertilizer .


    I also put down bio advanced weed and feed in early spring. As for the weather it was a very wet spring and then a hot dry summer. I did water but the last month or so the yard looked like it was going dormant so I let it. Our water bills are very pricey where I live so I was trying to save money. Once the yard starting to wake up the front never came back. The back and side yards look really good and the front not so much.


    So I will put milorganite down in a couple weeks and then again in October so hopefully that will help. Like I said I did put the bio advanced weed and feed down a week ago. How much should I be watering right now in the front?

  • 7 years ago

    We have a winner. I suspect it's not fully back yet. The dormancy mechanism of KBG is excellent, but expensive in terms of resources and the grass won't reverse it until it's sure it won't be needed again. It won't resprout at the first rainfall, it tends to wait until the ground has been moist for some time and temperatures have fallen.

    Letting your KBG go dormant is just fine. I do it with mine--I have A Thing about tossing drinking water at a lawn. Gardens, sure. Lawns, no. They're on their own, sink or swim. But it'll come back in its own sweet time.

    So personally, feed it in September, water if you want in September or, if rainfall is normal, let nature take its course, and let it come back in October. It would do so in nature just fine. It'll do it in your lawn just fine. Just control the weeds while you're waiting--with something other than Weed n Feed, as David noted. They're awful.

    Plus don't bother with synthetic feeding on dormant lawns. Dormant lawns can't absorb synthetic feed with any efficiency (near zero, in fact, unless they're very close to waking up and the roots are active). Use an organic when dormancy is about to break, which should be now-ish if rainfall has resumed or you're watering.

  • 7 years ago

    I am hoping that is the case and it will come back. the rest of my yard came back fine but it also has more shade and isn't direct sun like my front yard.

    The brown grass does pull up with ease. I didn't know if that means it's dead or if the roots where still ok?

  • 7 years ago

    i live in NE Ohio also. My lawn has done great this summer with no irrigation, no less. My lawn is also mature kbg though and also try to minimize mowing with a high cut height of 3.75-4". I'd rule out grubs but it looks like you have enough going on to just fertilize as suggested by others. it's been a lot cooler that you should have healthy grass right now. i put down milorganite two weeks ago and it looks pretty good. Also, i would have waited until fall for weed and feed. does your front face south?

  • 7 years ago

    Yeah, it does depend on soil type, micro-climate, and facing. I have a face that blasts out--and did this year--no matter what the weather. Seriously, we've had more than twice our normal rain and it's still burned out.

    We can't rule out other causes, but at first glance from the photos, it doesn't scream grubs, disease, or anything else, that's for sure! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    My front does face south.