sherrygirl5

Look what I found, round 2!

sherrygirl zone5 N il

Just checking out my gardens a bit ago, looks like I might have round 2 starting. I believe I see two monarch caterpillars, they are munching on butterfly weed.

Sherry

• GardenHo_MI_Z5

:o)

lucky you!!

I really need to get some butterfly weed!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
  • popmama

Wow that is so exciting! I haven't seen any of those caterpillars! Now I may have to go look more closely. My butterfly weed is done blooming and now has its huge pods that remind me a bit of candles.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked popmama

what do I put on a 1/2 round wall with 2 archways (doorways) in between?

Jau, could you post some photos ? :)

After years of looking.......think I found the right chandelier

I don't think I have scaled the chandelier correctly, but I just took it from the original photo. http://www.shopcandelabra.com/made-goods-patricia-chandelier-coco-beads-gold

What size round table in 14 1/2x 14 1/2 ft dining rm

You won't be able to place another item in the room if you go with a 72" table. Additionally, they are not easy to find. Much easier to find a 60" table. Also if you don't need to seat so many people all the time, it's better to purchase a smaller table with leaves for expansion.

Colonial to Modern-ish Makeover Round 2 - Feedback?

Step away from the harsh white into a softer greige or ivory that blends better with the brick. Shutters that don’t look like the clearance special at Menards. Not louvered. And in a dark brown with some red. An earthy green door. Continue the porch across the front if you can get more roofing to match. A better looking but still traditional garage door. Which I think you could fake the existing with some added molding pieces as muntins and panels, and paint. Some beefier posts. Which you can easily encase the existing ones and add moldings to create. And then cleaup that driveway and add brick edging that matches the house as closely as you can get. Landscaping can do the rest. It looks stark and slate because it has no connection to its surroundings through appropriate landscaping.
  • mxk3

What a wonderful site!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mxk3
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis

Sherry..you do a great job of patrolling and observing what's happening on your property!..keep showing us what you find..

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • djacobz568sewi

You are so lucky!! I am living vicariously through you! Keep us posted. I wonder how long they munch before spinning their cocoon?

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked djacobz568sewi
  • lkayetwvz5

Found three more caterpillars here two days ago. I thought they were done.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lkayetwvz5
  • Nancy 6b

One year I had so many caterpillars, they even ate the stems on that milkweed. I have rarely seen them on the orange milkweed, mostly on the rounded leaf milkweed, swamp milkweed? Nor so many this year, but they are growing somewhere. I see lots of butterflies this year. I have never seen the cocoons though, so much fun seening the progress.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

Wonderful Sherry, the cycle continues. Since I am rural I leave as many of our native Asclepias syriaca as I can but they really seem to prefer the ones in my garden.

A. tuberosa - Butterfly weed

What caught my eye was this plant literally vibrating. These 3 were chewing so hard the whole plant was shaking. Apparently they really like A. incarnata 'Soulmate'. They completely denuded the plant. I hope it comes back next year since it was just planted last fall.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • signet_gw(6b)

I am so glad to see this ! We don't see many Monarchs anymore . Wonder if it had anything to do with Milkweed being on the Noxious Weed list here for many years . Farmers were made to destroy/spray any milkweed they saw in their field/edges of fields . Home gardeners were supposed to destroy it too . Dumb asses ! Ooops ! Did I say that . Milkweed now has been removed from the list but you just know it is going to take forever for the plants to establish themselves again . God forbid there should be one less soybean plant or corn plant around here .

Another plant here that interferes is Dog Strangling vine ......the monarch lay their eggs on it but of course the caterpillers cannot eat DSV leaves and so die without ever getting out of baby caterpiller stage , they starve to death.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • gardencool

The quickest identifier that a caterpillar is near are the turds as you can see in the above photo. The caterpillar may be on the underside of the leaf so you really have to look to spot the caterpillar.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked gardencool
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Nice to see the monarch caterpillars!

We had an infestation of gypsy moth last year so the city sprayed certain areas this spring. Now this year I found white haired caterpillars---something I never found around my home before. So I collected them in a container along with one different caterpillar. The "different" caterpillar turned out to be a monarch caterpillar so back out to my parsley plant it went!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
  • n2hostas (Kansas)

I had a monarch caterpillar on my parsley this morning! A pleasant surprise!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked n2hostas (Kansas)
  • katob Z6ish, NE Pa

ok, my neighbors think this is weird but I’m sure this group will think it’s fine!

first thing- I mowed around a few milkweed shoots which came up in the front lawn. The monarchs were pleased :)

second thing- I collected eggs and have been raising them on the kitchen counter (with surprisingly few complaints from the fam)

third- I want the caterpillars to ‘finish’ outside so they know it’s time to head south

so fourth- I now have a nice little cage for them, right by the front walk with fresh food and just enough shelter... I hope.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked katob Z6ish, NE Pa
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

That’s pretty cool, Katob! I just found a third caterpillar on the butterfly weed, hurray! Hopefully we all see more monarchs being born in September.

Sherry

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Sherry- should I be worried? I was admiring my little pets just now and saw a small fly bothering them. Think it was laying eggs? I don’t know how it got into the cage :(

• mxk3

Way to go, Kato!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mxk3
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

I wish I had an answer for you, just don’t know. I just read that when the caterpillar is ready to pupate it will travel 20-30 feet to find a safe space. It looks like I will be lucky if I find another chrysalis. I’m not going to interfere With them in any way.

Sherry

• popmama

OMG gardencool, I saw some what looked like "turds" on a plant this morning. I kind of freaked out because they looked like mouse turds so I shook the plant to get them off. Now I realize they must have been caterpillar turds. And now I can't remember which plant they were on. Haha. Guess it's time to go out and have a look around again!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked popmama
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Laurie, have you found any chrysalis in your gardens?

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

No I never have Sherry. I wish I would so I will be on the lookout for them. Yours certainly chose a seemingly odd spot. I hope I am as lucky as you one day! Such a special event you shared.

• shawndee

katob there is a fly called the tachinid that will lay eggs into the monarch caterpillars the eggs then hatch and the larva will kill the caterpillar, sometimes they still can make the chysalis but will die right after emerging. Hope that's not the fly you saw

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shawndee
  • shive

Nice photos of the Monarch caterpillars! I'm seeing quite a few Monarchs and Swallowtails in my yard this week. In the past, I've seen a few of their caterpillars.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • deanna Maine 5b6a

I found my wild one. I have several in the house and my Asclepias incarnata is covered up in caterpillars, but finding them in the wild almost never happens. My 16-year-old daughter, who still finds silly things to be fun, and I were popping the jewelweed pods and saw this little guy. Glad I saw him before I pulled out the jewelweed!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked deanna Maine 5b6a
  • gardencool

Swallowtail and monarch caterpillars look very similiar. It is my understanding that the Monarch Cats only eat milkweed. Unless jewelweed is of the milkweed family your cat could be a swallowtail?

• gardencool

>>Monarchs only lay their eggs on and eat milkweed, members of the Asclepias family. Swallowtails will host on members of the Apiaceae family, which includes parsley, Queen Anne's Lace, carrot, celery, fennel and dill.Jul 7, 2013 <<

• Nancy 6b

What likes Dutchman's pipe Vine? DP is taking over here, but I hate to get rid of it completely because I see caterpillars on it frequently.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • deanna Maine 5b6a

This is a monarch who was eating the milkweed just nearby. They crawl away from the milkweed to hang in their "j" formation and make a chrysalis. I did some searching this morning and found several on nearby irises, too. One already has the webbing coming out of his rear so he can hang in his J, the others are stationary. Will look later to see if they are going to hang there, too. The fact that they crawl away from the milkweed is one reason it's been so hard for me to find a chrysalis in the wild. You never know where they'll end up! We did have one attach to a ceramic pot last year, a loooooong way from the milkweed. (Or, at least a looooong way by a caterpillar definition, in my mind.)

• djacobz568sewi

Thanks signet for those links! Very informative! :-)

• shive

Nancy 6B - The Pipevine Swallowtail loves your Dutchman's Pipe!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)

That's Dutchman's Pipe ? I have never seen one like that . Beautiful image by the way. This is what the Dutchman's Pipe I know looks like .

https://www.google.com/search?q=dutchman%27s+pipe&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6u_TakbXkAhVnS98KHRprBu4Q_AUIESgB&biw=1067&bih=443

• Nevermore44 - 6a

nancy... The pipe vine swallowtails come in spring to lay their eggs... and they lay a ton in clusters. I raised a clutch (30+ of them) a few years ago... and boy can they eat.

But ... that's when they are being raised inside... away from predators... so they all live. The ones outside on the vines quickly get picked off. After hundreds of eggs... i typically fine 5 munching around the vines. They don't do enough to slow the vine down one bit!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nevermore44 - 6a
  • shive

Heather - My photo is of a pipevine swallowtail on red pentas. I was just trying to show Nancy what kind of caterpillars she might have.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Nancy 6b

Thank you! Kinda wishing now I had brought the caterpillars inside, the world needs more beauty

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • lkayetwvz5

I remember hummingbirds loved the jewelweed also. We used to have it here but I can't find any anywhere even driving along the back roads. Native Americans used to crush it to rub on the itching and burning from burn nettles and poison ivy. I wanted to try it.

• signet_gw(6b)

Ah that expains it Debra ! I really wondered if maybe there were 2 kinds of Dutchman's Pipe vine. That is a gorgeous picture by the way !

• Nevermore44 - 6a

Well am this monarch talk made me break out the mesh laundry bin and start collecting eggs and caterpillars from my milkweeds. I’m up to 30+. I’ve got a nice patch of Common milkweed that gets mowed periodically on the way home from work to harvest food for them. They are fun to watch

• deanna Maine 5b6a

I also have a monarch lookalike on my milkweed, the milkweed tussock caterpillar.

• djacobz568sewi

Nevermore44 so happy you are helping them survive!

• Nevermore44 - 6a

Happy cats

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Oh my goodness! I hope we see how they do!

Sherry

• Nevermore44 - 6a

It's all fun and games but that photo was taken at 3 PM yesterday... then my son goes and turn on the light over them this morning at 7 AM ... and they are just munching on stems... so I had to get some MW from my own small patch out back to hold them over until after work when I can get a bunch more. Too many mouths to feed!