alicerg

Help regarding Palatine bareroots

Alice
September 6, 2019
last modified: September 6, 2019

I fell in love with roses after the purchase of our current home which came with about 6 of them. I have now slowly expanded the rose beds and added many varieties to about 50 now. All of them have been either grafted - bought locally or own root varieties bought online. I live in the southwest at about 5000 ft [dry, arid, Albuquerque, NM, Zone 7A] and have alkaline soil. I have been really wanting some of the Tantau roses that only Palatine offers and I have a couple of questions regarding them that I was hoping the very knowledgeable members here can help me with!

1) Given the fact that roses will be grafted on multiflora, how should I be amending my soil so that the roses from Palatine do well here?

2) When should I have the roses shipped from Palatine and put into the ground? Officially, the last frost date here is mid-April. We have mostly sunny, very windy springs with some rain and sometimes a late frost towards the end of March

The roses I am planning on getting are:

Acropolis

Ascot

Augusta Luise

Biedermeier Garden

Nahema

Black Caviar

Thank you!!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Alice, I garden with very similar conditions to yours about 9 months of the year. We have a little colder winter for the remaining three. I've grown quite a few Palatine roses for years, including Ascot. My Augusta Luise is from Hortico. All the Palatine roses have adapted to our alkaline soil very well. It's also very hot and dry here with desert conditions. I prefer Dr Huey as a rootstock, but if only multiflora is available on a rose I want, then I will grow a rose on that rootstock. My most vulnerable rose to alkaline soil, with resulting chlorosis of leaves, is a hybrid Musk, Ballerina, ironically grafted on Dr Huey. I "cured" her problem by using granular fertilizer for acid loving plants about twice a year. I liked this approach better than simply using soil acidifiers, plus I killed two birds with one stone (an awful expression). My next step was to put all my roses on this fertilizer for acid loving plants, and I've been pleased with the results of that. The fertilizer I like best is Lilly Miller Organic Fertilizer for acid loving plants. I find it works better, I think, that the more expensive Tone fertilizers. I start all my bare roots in march. Frosts haven't been a problem. My Tantau roses have been fantastic--two Ascots, Augusta Luise, and three Bernstein-Rose plants. You should do well with the plants you ordered, too. Diane

Alice thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Alice thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Alice

Dear Nanadoll,

Part of the inspiration in going out of my comfort zone of potted plants are your lovely pictures of Augusta and Ascot! I was looking at a target date of around March 15th for shipping, which should hopefully coincide with spring break. I think though that I am resigned to not get as luscious blooms as yours due to the elevation and how much further south I am.

Alice.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Alice, your roses will do beautifully. I hope noseometer posts here. She has a wonderful garden with roses and lives in Albuquerque. I plant my bareroots about Mar 15-25. Any later than that interferes with my pruning time. Diane

Alice thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Alice, the Fall shipping option might work in your zone. I hope others pitch in. I got the Fall shipping for my Palatine order and it worked well here.

Alice thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Alice

Hi Sheila, I thought about it but Albuquerque weather is quite unpredictable. Last winter we had several inches of snow. Plus this will be my first bareroot order so I don't want to risk it. Maybe next year after I gain some experience!! But I think I can get away with March 15th for the shipping date.