Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

NATIONAL HEIRLOOM EXPOSITION

7 years ago

https://theheirloomexpo.com/


We're going! Will You?

We'll be at a table for the Heritage Roses Group!




Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago

    That looks like a wonderful show. We badly need to celebrate heirloom products of all types. I wanted to grab some produce off that gorgeous pile of squash and pumpkins! There's something so precious and life-affirming about these beautiful, natural-looking products. Not a square tomato among them! Not the best time of the year for the roses, unfortunately.

  • 7 years ago

    No -- But the NoCal folks will have some blooms to bring and share. I probably won't. Not much bloomin' here.

  • 7 years ago

    And thank YOU for the photos, Kim. I was able to make a plant tag for it.

  • 7 years ago

    And, Ingrid . . . Every year, we take a photo of our Therapy Dogs with the Tower of Squash. This was last year:



  • 7 years ago

    The squash are amazing, a cornucopia. It looks like a fun time, wish I could be there. The roses are irresistible. Great photos!

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, the doggie/squash photos are the best of all. These pups always looks so patient and willing to please. I'm sure you take wonderful care of them.

  • 7 years ago

    Hi Jeri,

    Thanks so much for sharing those awesome pictures! Wish I could be there! In particular, I wish I could go there to snatch that Quinceanera! Kim, your Quinceanera is so BEAUTIFUL! The ruffled medium pink bloom really calls to me! I looked at the website of the nursery carrying Quinceanera (according to HMF), Grace Rose Farm, but it doesn't seem to do retail for potted roses? Do you know how/where I can order your rose?

    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, Lin. Unfortunately, there isn't anywhere to order Quinceanera. No nursery carries it.

  • 7 years ago

    That's a shame Kim - such a beautiful rose not being in commerce! I really envy the lucky person who can buy that precious one at the National Heirloom Exposition.

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you. This was a seedling jimofshermanoaks, who was a long-time forum member here, a cherished friend and who passed several years ago, really loved. He bugged me for the longest time to give it a name as he wanted to get it spread around. I'd given him a plant of it and he loved it. Driving home one afternoon, there was a lovely, pink satin Quinceaneara dress hanging in the front window of a shop, the same color as this rose. It told me its name.

  • 7 years ago

    What a lovely story behind that name, and the remarkable rose bearing that name! Thank you for sharing it!

  • 7 years ago

    Thank you! I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

  • 7 years ago

    I’m.looking forward to seeing you all again this year!

  • 7 years ago

    I enjoyed myself a lot there last year and may be able to make it this week. If so, I'll see you at the HRG table!


    There's a very nice area under some shady trees where you can enjoy a picnic and listen to the musicians. The really wonderful singer/yodeler of old Western songs, Sourdough Slim, was there last year and per his website, will be there again. Very highly recommended! (The music program/schedule is not on the Expo's website for some reason.) And there were some good food vendors, or you can bring your own lunch.


    However -- and this is somewhat OT but I can't help myself -- I'm very sorry to see that the Expo is giving a very prominent and active anti-vaxer a podium at the event--an event that speaks of protecting children and the environment. This bugs me -- bigly. The data on measles and vaccination are very clear and conclusive.


    Also, I see that the Expo's heirloom poultry show has been canceled due to Newcastle disease, a very contagious poultry virus that is spread mostly via poor hygiene and unclean conditions. But there are also -- yes -- vaccines for this virus. I'm not sure how they are currently viewed by veterinary experts and if they are considered a best practice or not, but hard for me not to be struck by the irony.


    Sheba

  • 7 years ago

    Thought you might enjoy seeing what our table looked like, on the morning of Opening Day . . . and on subsequent days . . .

    The ONLY bad bit was that on the afternoon of the final day, the temperature was 97 in Santa Rosa, but clearly over 100 at the fairgrounds . .
    Otherwise, it was terrific.


  • 7 years ago

    Thank you, Sheba, for supporting science. Misinformation is so dangerous and it is not like the planet doesn't have enough trouble already.

  • 7 years ago

    Jeri, great photos!

  • 7 years ago

    Great pictures! Looks like it was a lot of fun, even if it was a tad bit warm!

  • 7 years ago

    The roses are so beautiful, thanks for sharing these photos. The signs for HRG with the roses on them are really nice, as well.

  • 7 years ago

    Great pics and the bouquets look absolutely stunning. Wish, I was there :(

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Krista -- THX. I'm really happy with the way my banners looked.