ltebb14

staircase design help

ltebb14
September 11, 2019

Any thoughts on what to do with this staircase in our new home? It is a central staircase floor plan so the stairs are real feature of the home and visible from the main living areas in the house. There is a lot of different wood tones going on, and with three young kids I’m hesitant to remove the runner all together as it is very useful.

My initial thought is to paint the risers and stringers white (same as the trim and spindle colour).
I am thinking initially to paint the risers around the runner (I know not the most professional idea) but as the kids grow I will probably replace the runner and can deal with the whole staircase then.
First I’d appreciate thoughts on if the painting would look good or if there’s other ideas.
Second I would appreciate thoughts on whether painting around the runner is a really bad idea or an ok shirt term fix.