reedrxrep

HELP!! Mystery stains on new marble pool deck

reedrxrep
last year
last modified: last year

We are building a new home in Florida and we just got our Marble pool deck installed. It looked beautiful for about two weeks and then this started happening. Can anyone tell us what this is?? We have a solid concrete poured pool deck and the marble pavers were laid over the concrete. We wanted the pavers to lay on concrete instead of dirt. We thought it might be the rebar that is under the concrete, but we have a good friend who owns his own concrete company and he is telling us there is no way it's from the rebar. We noticed the stains a couple days after a good rain. We know it's not from a well either as we have no irrigation installed yet. I should also mention that it starts to fade and almost disappear and then it comes back again. Asking for help from the experts. Thank you!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

I can promise Fred knows exactly what's going on just from the pictures, but unlike me, he doesn't give professional opinion away for free on Houzz.

• reedrxrep

Thanks Joseph. Yes Fred is very knowledgeable :)

Help! Deck

What a great backyard deck! I'd love to know how the project is coming along now! Any updates to share on stain selection and design decisions?

Mystery stain on white marble

Marble it is porous by nature and it absorbs pretty much of everything if not sealed. If you don't catch something before it sets, you will end up with a stain like the one you have there. Most hardware stores carry Powdered Whiting ...make a paste from that and hydrogen peroxide and spread on it to draw what ever that is from marble, leave it for a few min and use warm water to just dampen the area and after use dry cloth and gently rub the surface. After that use distilled water and apply over the area to remove the residue from peroxide etc. If that works, use a dry cloth and rub the surface to bring the shine back. Before you do this, try on a small stained area and see what the result will be. Good luck

Cement for around new in-ground pool.

Yes, stamped concrete tends to be slippery around pools. It's also hard to get good looking stamped concrete, as *maybe* one in 12 installers has the eye for making it look good. The rest make it look like someone took the fake stone panels they use as skirting on mobile homes and laid it on the ground, then forgot about them for 5 years. The acrylic decking treatment (usually sold as kool deck) Is a nice way to go. If the budget allows I'd do flagstone coping, flagstone borders, and then kooldeck the rest. It's a nice look and it's super comfortable underfoot. I sold out of a pool showroom in Phoenix for a while and it was great watching everyone feel the difference for themselves between pavers, concrete, and kool deck - on a 115 degree day

Experience with New Super White Quartzite/Marble

Quartzite varies in porosity depending on how it metamorphosed (as the second article Diana Bier linked points out). Whether a stone stains depends on porosity - if it is more porous, then liquids can seep into it causing a stain. If a stone is porous, sealing can fill in the pours and prevent staining. Sealant eventually wears out so it needs to be resealed from time to time. A true quartzite won't etch because quartzite doesn't react with acids. Metal and glass won't scratch it because it is a very hard mineral. It may or may not stain because porosity varies depending on how the stone was formed. We have Azul do Mar quartzite. We tested a sample before it was put in and found it doesn't stain - it's low-porosity so we don't seal it. We have had it for over 12 years and it looks the same as the day it went in. It isn't one of the marble look-alike quartzites. As it's name implies, it looks like the ocean.
  • reedrxrep

Right now I am good to go and hopefully he can help others who are having the same issue.

We are having same issue with our new white/gray marble deck that has done this same orange staining as well and even some of the stones have turned a “Yellow” hue. The deck people claim it can happen with no explanation and have been frustrated as well And seem unwilling to really fix. They theorize that it’s because of the sand set, yet the orange stain is almost for sure coming from the stone when it get moisture-it’s oxidizing. We are just not sure what the final outcome is and I’m looking for anyone who has had an amicable resolution. We are in Naples Florida- not sure who would be willing to chat live with me. Thanks to all for reporting your situation. Paul

• reedrxrep

So sorry you are having the same issue. Like I mentioned earlier, we are almost 9 months into it and it has gotten a lot better. Still get some here and there but NOTHING like it was in my earlier photo's. Let me know if you find out any more information.

• A W

Same
    Issue here with Shellstone
    limestone. Been at this since last Fall. We put bleach on it, but didn’t really make a difference. I guess I do need a pressure cleaner. Anyone have one they really like and recommend? Gonna try to the iron product reedrxrep recommended as well.

• lisaslzy

The Pioneer Ox-Off Rust Remover did not work that well for me. I’ve also tried hydrogen peroxide which worked well but stain returned in a few hours. Also tried Iron Out and stain returned, Marblelife Mold & Mildew remover and stains returned. A 1 part bleach to 2 part water solution worked best, but stains are returning after a couple days.

• A W

Question for everyone on this thread--

Did all of you seal the pavers the way we did? My husband just took one of the stained pavers that we replaced, and he sanded it down with sand paper. Lo and behold, the stain came out, which means the stain is on the surface of the stone and not all the way through the stone! I am wondering if the sealant we had applied to the limestone is what caused this?

This picture is how our patio currently looks.....

• lisaslzy

We didn't seal the stone yet but considering it.

• reedrxrep

We did not seal ours.

• Alice Dean

Hi, I'm Alice Dean, Technical Writer for SurpHaces. I spoke with our Chief Technical Director, Fred Hueston. He said the staining you are seeing is likely the result of iron oxidation, but without seeing it in person, no professional can diagnose the problem with absolute certainty. Many natural stones contain iron that, when exposed to moisture, will oxidize. In other words, the iron in the stone will rust. Florida is notorious for humidity and afternoon thunderstorms. Unfortunately, with natural stone, it is impossible to tell which tiles will contain more iron than others prior to installation. Your installation may need to be replaced by a type of stone more appropriate for the environment, unless the discoloration has some cause other than iron oxidation. For more info, read this article: https://surphaces.com/why-does-white-marble-turn-yellow/. Before you have your stone replaced, have a stone restoration professional come take a look. If you do not already utilize the services of a reputable stone restoration contractor, contact us here https://surphaces.com/contact-us/, because we may be able to recommend one near you.

reedrxrep thanked Alice Dean
  • Kristi Johnson

@ live_wire_oak
    I don’t know about the others but the marble we bought was sandblasted and a much safer alternative for an aging couple than travertine it granite which are too slick

• reedrxrep

Yep ours is tumbled marble. Not slick at all.

KIBV Inc.

Bottle of CLR to clean with gentle brush broom and could you use a sealant on the surface to eliminate contamination by the elements?

• jhcbflorida

Hello.....are you happy with your marble deck? What color is that by the way? Did the stains go away?

• reedrxrep

Hi there. Yes we are happy with the deck but I’m not going to lie......it is constant up keep. With it being so light, we have to pressure clean it quite often. The stains did go away but will pop up again sometimes although not as severe as it did the first time. Still no idea why it happens. The color is called Aqua Gray. When it is cleaned it looks beautiful.

• reedrxrep

Here is how it looks now. My husband pressure cleaned it last weekend. As I said, it’s constant up keep but beautiful when it’s cleaned.

• jhcb

Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Can I ask a few more questions....Is it slippery? Did you seal it?
    That is really a beautiful space you have!

• reedrxrep

Sure. It is not the smooth marble. It is tumbled so it is not slippery. We did not seal it. We asked about sealing when we purchased it and they did not recommend it as they said when you seal something that white, over time it can turn a yellowish hue so we decided not to risk it. The shine you see in the picture was from rain that had just come through. Hope that helps.

• Jereme Carter

Find a test area.... Acid wash Lightly to dissolve the iron from the stone or use TSP. It may help lighten. We’ve fixed a few patios with similar issues. You cannot control what is in the base or sand. Washed mason sand would be the best recommendation over concrete as with limestone it is 100% necessary if it is not wet set in mortar. But minerals in the stone will come out if they are exposed no matter what. Marble is high maintenance. Any oils tannic acid from wood will stain, pet urine will absorb pinkish and May come out with bleach. Be careful sealing the marble with sealer it may yellow or entrap the moisture stains. Grouting is good but it is common for grout to be touched up depending on the decking wear and tear. There are special sealers, but talk with a sealing company anyone who seals patios will recommend how to prep properly. travertine and brick are the best way to go.

rust stains from iron deposit's in the sand that is on top of the concrete or from iron deposit in the concrete. I'm sure it's only happening underneath the lanai or covered area where it isn't exposed to sun. You will need those pavers removed, then install a moisture barrier on the concrete, then install clean screening sand and install new pavers Or clean the existing pavers before reinstalling them

What HU says makes sense, we are having same problem, but, only under lanai where rain can blow in. That is also only area where there is concrete under the sand. Same limestone out from under the lanai is fine, no concrete beneath it.

My question is whether or not repeated bleach/acid/ rust remover/ pressure washing will eventually wash away enough of the iron oxide so that a redo of the patio will not be necessary?

Above referring To: HU 338397042 post above.

• jhcbflorida

@lisaslzy - any luck in figuring out what caused the orange rust?

• lisaslzy

I can’t say I figured out the cause. The issue is mainly occurring under roof cover, It’s been a battle.

• reedrxrep

Same here. It's mostly under the covered roof area.

Has anyone scraped a sample and had a chemical analysis for FeO2 (iron oxide=rust)?

Seems like a project for someone with access to a high school or college chemistry lab.

• Wayne Wilson

Removing these stains from marble pavers seems to be my main business. 8134060399

• Teresa Chaplin

Wayne Wilson, have you discovered what is causing these stains? How are you getting rid of them? We had leathered marble installed on our pool deck and have a covered outdoor kitchen and lanai, both of which are almost completely brown. They look filthy. The pool company had a stone expert come out and he said it’s from iron oxidation that only occurs in covered areas and that it will work it’s way out in 8-12 months. It’s been 10 months since they were installed and it’s not any better.

• Kristi Johnson

Wayne, where is your business located? Would you be willing to share what treatment you are using for those of us that are too far away to hire you? Ours is sandblasted. My husband has had some luck soaking and scrubbing with Limeaway or CLR but perhaps you have something that would be easier more effective for him. Thank you in advance.

P.S. was anyone told prior to purchase and installation that this could happen. I was not and may not have purchased had I known.

• Teresa Chaplin

We were not given any indication that it could be a problem or we would have made another choice. Our entire outdoor kitchen which is @10x20 is all orangish/brown and the covered lanai is the same color now. It started immediately with the kitchen area and over the last 6-7 months it has moved across the covered lanai. Our stones are leathered marble and the color is Talya Grey so its a light grey and white. The rest of the pool deck is beautiful with no staining. Its so frustrating and we have tried many cleaners but nothing works. we were told that it would work its way out within 8 - 12 months but that hasnt happened yet at 9 months.

• jhcb

Hi Teresa! Any chance you could share pictures? When I read your first comment, I was wondering if you had Talya Gray, then I saw your follow up comment. We are getting ready to sign a contract for Talya Gray for our pool deck and covered patio. Did you get yours from Stone Mart?

• Teresa Chaplin

Yes, our pool builder purchased them from Stone Mart. Here are the pictures that show the ones in the covered areas and the second group are the ones in the sun.

• jhcb

Wow that sure looks so much darker than it’s supposed to. Have you called Stone Mart? Just curious as to what they are saying since it’s their product. Are you in Orlando by chance?

I would have thought that the pavers not covered would be the ones to be affected...and not the under covered ones. So frustrating I’m sure!!! Is your pool builder trying to figure it out?

By the way...Your dogs are cute!!

• jhcb

When it was installed, did all of it look like it was from the same lot?

• Teresa Chaplin

Thanks! We haven’t spoken to Stonemart directly but our pool builder has. they acted surprised and said they had no idea what our problem was. The pool builder had a “stone expert” come out and he said that it’s common for the iron oxidation to happen in areas that don’t have sunlight on them and that it will eventually work it’s at out. I’m not sure I believe that so we have no choice but to wait. Our pool builder is saying they can’t do anything about it as it’s not something they did wrong but is a natural occurrence. If we had been told we would have made another choice. It looks awful and just dirty. We are in Riverview.

• reedrxrep

Hi there. I am the one who started this whole thread. It has been a year now since our marble deck was installed and we still have issues but it is mostly in the covered area. All the pavers out in the sun are much better. They will get orange / brown after a good rain but with a little bleach it disappears. Under the covered area.....that is a whole other story. They constantly stay stained. I am so upset and had I known this would happen, I probably would have just installed outdoor tile. Please let me know if you all find anything that takes it out. BTW.....my marble is Aqua Gray. Thank you :)

• jhcbflorida

HI @reedrxrep.....so you are having the staining under your lanai too? I know initially the pavers under cover seemed to be doing ok. So, it is now in both areas? Does the pressure washing help with the ones under the lanai? Does your marble have a slight texture to it...tumbled / leathered feel? I wonder if Aqua Gray is the same as Talya Gray. It certainly looks to be close if not the same in color. @lisaslzy, what is the name of your pavers....and are you also in Florida?

What was your second and third choices for pool deck? I am now rethinking this gray marble. So sad as it really looks beautiful.

• lisaslzy

Hi @jhcbflorida, we are in Florida and have Venice Marble pavers. We were originally looking at travertine and would have chosen that if we knew about the staining.

• reedrxrep

The pressure washing does help with under the lanai as well, but it never gets as bright as the one's out in full sun. It always has a more dull look and then the rust look eventually creeps back in. I have another product that I am going to try that our yard guy actually uses. Side note......we have the same Aqua Gray marble pavers as a walkway up to our front doors and our front porch. Interestingly enough, they do not have the same rusting issue as our pavers on our pool deck. The only difference that I am aware of is the one's on our front porch and walkway do not have any sand that they were laid on. They are strictly cemented down on concrete. Anyhow.....I say all this because our yard guy came and treated our yard and whatever he sprayed on the yard, he got on our Aqua Gray walkway. The next morning our walkway was all rusted in color. I nearly died. The owner of the company immediately came out and brought this really powerful liquid. As soon as it was sprayed on, the orange rust color completely went away. Here is the before and after picture as well as a picture of what he used. So I am going to try it on the pavers under our pool deck lanai and see how it works. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I wish you all the best of luck. We love our pavers but unfortunately I think it is going to be a constant battle. We'll see how it looks a few years from now :)

• jhcb

This is why I love these forums so much...people helping people! Wow, I would have about died too. So those walkway pavers are only sitting on concrete? And your front porch too? And no issues with either area (other than lawn guy mishap)? And these were all installed at the same time?

Such a shame as I really love these pavers. Everything I looked at especially with Travertine had too much gold in it and the Silver Travertine looked to be very dark and busy. But I guess I need to start looking around again. Not sure I want to risk this happening.

• jhcb

Teresa, do you know if your pool builder installed the pavers on sand...and what color sand? Did they do the same installation for the entire job? I had read that for any light colored marble that white or whitish sand must be used as the base. So it would be interesting to find out exactly defat is under your pavers. On another thread, I had read that they suggest taking up the pavers and reset them using only white sand.

• Celadon

Rust removers are typically acidic, and will etch marble, and dissolve the top layer. They are not marble safe. They will eat away and pit the marble with continued use.

When the iron is inside the stone, it cannot be removed. Ever. Rusting is a normal and natural behavior for stone with iron inclusions. You accept it or you remove it and do something else.

• Teresa Chaplin

jhcb from what I remember it was just normal tan colored sand. I had never heard that it should be white sand. If your near Riverview, your welcome to come check it out in person. It all is a little darker when seen all together than the small section we saw on display.

• jhcb

Thanks Teresa and @reedrxrep. Please keep us posted.

• Kristi Johnson

@reedrxrep thanks for the info on that product. Please let us know if you found that it caused any damage to the surface of your pavers. Mine are sandblasted so I doubt I would be able to tell but just curious. Thank you! On a separate note is anyone have any issues with keeping mold at bay on the surface in the shady areas? I’ve noticed some after several days of rain and no sunshine.

• reedrxrep

Hi there. No the rust remover product did not cause any damage to our stone. Ours is rough and tumbled already with lots of divits. It is not a smooth polished marble.

• jhcb

Let us know @reedrxrep how that product worked on your covered lanai. Fingers crossed!

• jhcb

Any update from anyone on their marble? I contacted Stone Mart and I asked them for specific installation instructions. But I remember when I was in the show room, they said to be sure to use white sand. Does anyone that is having problems know if their installer used white sand?