GET IDEAS
blackwillow87

Myrmecatavola Frances Fox ' Sun Spot'

blackwillow87
last year

This has been open for a couple of weeks now. It's become my favorite orchids

• James _J
    last year

Nice.

Is it fragrant?

• blackwillow87
    last year

Thanks James! It has a nice fragrance late at night until the morning hours. It smells like a lemon with a hint if sweetness. The blooms amazing to say the least.

• Ingrida
    last year

Thank goodmess, I don't have to pronounce the name, but the fragrance will get to me every time.. Lovely big blooms too.

• blackwillow87
    last year

I have a difficult time pronouncing the name lol. I just love the blooms amd fragrance too.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Very nice. Thanks for the pic.

tj

• arthurm2015
    last year

The Catavola bit is easy but even the University of Google doesn't help with the first bit, it has something to do with ants.

• arthurm2015
    last year

Even a simple Genera name, example Cattleya causes problems. We have Cattle Layers and Cattle Leahs. When it is just Cattley with an a at the end.

Interesting bloom!

• blackwillow87
    last year

Thanks tj and arthurm! It's definitely a neat bloom. When it first opened it looked like this

• James _J
    last year

I think its a Myrmecophila X Brassavola.

So it might be Recchara Frances Fox

• blackwillow87
    last year

I think I saw the Recchara name when I bought it. Is that the new name for it?

• James _J
    last year

I don’t know if that’s the new name or the old name. It’s very confusing these days. Myrmecophila is the new name for Schomburgkia but I don’t see how either name relates to Recchara. Schombravola would make sense and is pronounceable but why make it easy on us.

• blackwillow87
    last year

It's definitely confusing. I wonder where Recchara even came from?

• arthurm2015
    last year

The name is fine and all you have to do to confirm this is to run a grex name search as described in the not rocket science thread.

nusMyrmecatavola

EpithetFrances Fox

Synonym FlagThis is not a synonym

Synonym Genus NameRecchara

Registrant NameFlorida N.O.

Originator NameO/U

Date of registration01/01/1985Seed parentPollen parentGenusBrassocattleyaMyrmecophilaEpithetPolka Dottibicinis

• arthurm2015
    last year

Sorry the above is a mess, but I suppose the edit feature is still not working. Recchara was the previous Intergeneric name before The Royal Horticultural Society did a major update to the Hybrid Orchid Database.

• blackwillow87
    last year

Thanks arthurm for that. It's amazing how the names are always changing.

• arthurm2015
    last year

Actually the RHS would alter a few orchid names each year, but several years ago there was a major update.

The problem is the sheer scale of that update seeing that there so are so many different species orchids and about 100,000 registered hybrids.

Of course, google is not updated so you will find numerous pics of Recchara Frances Fox there.

The local Orchid Society has a problem, a big photo library that needs some of the names to be altered. Even orchid nurseries couldn't do an instant update so the new names will slowly filter through.

• blackwillow87
    last year

I can't believe there are that many registered hybrids. I couldn't imagine going through that database and updated all of the names a few times a year.

• blackwillow87
    last year

Thanks Chandra! I forgot to post a photo of the blooms when they changed colors.

• Sheila
    last year

Love your blooms, whatever their name! Looks like it’s still a rather large sturdy plant in spite of a shomb in its parentage. How large is the pot, looks big!

• blackwillow87
    last year

Thanks Sheila! It's one of my favorites. the pot it's in is a 4" pot. I think to the tip of the tallest leaf, it's 8-9".

I try to buy Myrmecatavola Frances Fox 4 times from different vendors. All 4 were tested positive on CyMV or/and ORSV. What is wrong with this hybrid?

• arthurm2015

A mystery how 4 different plants from individual vendors would be infected with virus(s) unless a large plant was divided and the divisions were widely distributed.

Virus is a bit of a mystery, maybe some Genera can be infected and not show Symptoms. CymV is a big problem here.