Software
Houzz Logo Print
tira_misu

Are large marble tiles or panels a trend?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are soon starting a bathroon remodel . The bathroom will be small, about 8x10 with unsual layout. We are leaning towards a tub/shower combo to allow a much larger vanity. I like to soak in the tub and am trying to find way to make my soaking experience very plesant with a luxury feel. I was thinking of using large marble tiles (real or porcelain imitation) to create a look like those in the pictures below. It seems that large marble looking tiles up to 24"x48" are very commun these days at our local stores. However, I want to avoid trends very badly. So is that marble look a trend?

Our house is over 100 years old. I am not going for an overly modern look because I don't think it would fit with the house but also not trying to recreate a period bathroom as I find they lack storage.






Thanks!

Yes, it screams 2018-2019 and will look dated by 2021
No, it's not popular enough to be a trend
The black is a trend, the white is ok
Stick with subway tiles

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Patricia Colwell. We are doing a full gut so the new walls should be straight, but good point, I'll make sure to ask my contractor. He's the one that suggested using 24x24 which he's been installing a lot lately. Would a 12x24 tile be large enough to give that look that I'm looking for?

  • 7 years ago

    It’s a trend that doesn’t work in an old house. The fastest way to lower the value of an old home is to do whatever is trendy and not what suits the house.

    You can add storage and update but still keep the feel of the house as it was. I can’t post photos now but if I could, I’d show you how i kept an old feel with everything updated

    tira_misu thanked cpartist
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @cpartist Thank you for your honest comment.

    I was thinking of mixing new and old together. What do you think about these looks in the pictures below (minus the gold accents)? Would that suit an old house?







  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Sorry I do not agree that adding a new bathroom or kitchen to an old house devalues the house.This is a kitchen in a 1905 house and it is what sold the house for above asking in 10 days. I think 12 x 24 tiles are easier to work with than square my big concern with tile in an old house is the floors have some flex and often that will cause tile to crack.


    tira_misu thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting The way I see it, I have three choices: Try to replicate a period bathroom, add some modern elements while highlighting traditional architectural details, or go full modern like the kitchen you are showing. Either way, I would like this to be achieved without being influenced by what's trendy right now.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Your inspiration photos, specifically the last 3 you posted above are tasteful and elegant, which in my opinion stand the test of time. I also think they would work very well in an older home.

    Here are some take aways to focus on when keeping your renovation current with your home; trim and moldings, light fixtures, faucets, pedestal type and detailing.

    tira_misu thanked User
  • 7 years ago

    Your inspiration photos all look like they are using marble (or faux marble) slab materials, not tiles. Tiles even in a large format such as 12" x 24" are going to be a different look. You should look for some pictures with those to see if you are happy with the look. Also, be aware that real marble is a porous stone - it will stain unless sealed and sealing needs to be repeated periodically. It also will be etched by acids and sealing won't prevent that. Some people are okay with it acquiring a patina due to etching and some aren't.

  • 7 years ago

    @Cloud Swift Good advise, I will pay more attention to the tiles vs the slabs to see if I still like the look. I'm not sold on real marble. In fact, I was hoping to use faux marble tiles but was worried that it might look cheap. I was glad to read Patricia Colwell's comment suggesting that this look could be acheive with the right porcelain tiles.

  • 7 years ago

    If you google pics of The Swan House in Atlanta (a mansion built approximately 100 years ago, same period as your house - it is part of the Atlanta History Center And has been lovingly maintained in its original decor), you’ll see they used white and black marble slab.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    We stay in an old hotel in Rome that is all cararra marble bathroom and floors they were all installed in 1947 I think that is timeless enough for me.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @Karen Girardeau I really like these floors and this is what we'll go for if we don't choose the marble/porcelain large tiles. While visiting old castles in Europe this summer, I saw this a lot! Very classic.


    I would need 12x12 or smaller to see a pattern because our bathroom is small but old fashion square 12x12 tiles are hard to find these days!! I don't want them plain white or plain black because they will always look dirty, plus I have no intention to replicate Kris Jenner's foyer. All I'm seeing in tile stores lately are 12x24 or larger, or mosaic and very small tiles which would take forever to install.

    Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this floor would mix well with some modern features that we plan on having in the bathroom. It would call for a traditionnal vanity and subway tiles on the walls.