Software
Houzz Logo Print
lkp2011

Filling a Huge Dining Room

13 years ago
Building new production home and dying a slow death of upgrade fees that will require me to make my old trestle dining table work for a while. Ideas for dressing up the trestle table and filling the extra empty room the new house will have?

Comments (25)

  • 13 years ago
    And please don't judge temporary arrangement in rental while we are awaiting new house completion!! :-)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Do you need that much seating daily? I do see you have a little one, but not sure if the bench is full at every meal. IF NOT, I would suggest moving the bench away from the table and having the chairs on the sides. Would there be a place still in the room, where the bench could sit and then be pulled up to the table as needed? The bench could have pillows and a cushion to make it look like a planned seating area.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Put the bench in front of the new front windows. Put the chairs two across from two. Purchase two inexpensive host/hostess chairs for either end of the table.
    Linen Hayden Dining Chair · More Info


    An 8 x 10 inexpensive sisal rug and a darker color on the wall will also make a huge room cozier.
    Handmade Alexa Eco Natural Fiber Cotton Border Sisal Rug (5' x 8') · More Info

    Stratton Blue HC-142 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    large plants and/ or a huge bouquet on the table.
  • 13 years ago
    Here's another thought, put two chairs on each of the long side of the table to make the table appear wider. Take the bench and put it in the bay with pillows.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Paint the table, chairs, and bench... black or white/cream to compliment the bombe chest...? get a good looking rug and new table linens to carry out the look.... Its all about classing up what you already have. Its not cool to throw out good furniture when you can make an original of your own.
  • 13 years ago
    There is no need to "fill up" space. Empty space is rarely a problem. Just install the furniture you need and afford, and then stop with the furniture. If rooms look too blank, just painting the walls a color gives a lot of presence and interest. Inexpensive art can also help...things like posters or stretched decorative fabric in thrift shop frames. Frames are very easy to paint.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    New fixture above the dining table and a nice tablecloth.
  • 13 years ago
    Best and most helpful suggestions will come when you have the table in your new space. Then we'll know what we're really talking about.
  • 13 years ago
    Agree with moving the bench--that will change the look entirely. I kept my Grandmother's harvest table and dressed it up by adding skirted parsons chairs at each end for very little cost ( http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=574). Add cushions to the bench to match the chairs to tie it all together and use it for extra seating. Like others said--no need to 'fill' space--that will happen in time. Add a large plant or something that you can easily move to another room until you decide what you want! Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    You've already got lots of great advice on the dining space - and the things you have are classic and will be gorgeous there. You don't need a bigger table for your family, and that can come in good time. If you would rather have this table in your family room space for the way you live, it is also fine to leave the dining room empty. Empty rooms can be a lovely thing - think of them as evidence of you being thrifty rather than any other thing. Not everyone has a budget for decor when they move / buy a home. And making it yours / personal really takes time. Think about functions that you need - go see younghouselove.com for how they flipped the functions on several rooms in their last and their new home for ideas.

    From what you wrote I'm thinking it isn't the dining room that will be empty, so that challenge must be a bedroom or the second living area - tell us more about it and we can help. If it is an empty bedroom, you can let that be your moving room and put all the boxes that you don't unpack, things you want to put on craigslist, even a folding table or craigslist desk, one decent work chair and an old bookshelf for crafts / home office / work room for mom can be made charming with time.

    If you are concerned about how to fill two living spaces where before you had one, don't stress. Focus on setting the room that you will use the most (least formal) up first. Consider slipcovers on what you have to get a whole new look / try the color scheme you really covet. Maybe one great craigslist item allows you to split what you have into two functional spaces - when we had little ones, we left coffee tables out for years so they had room to play in the center of the room / used end tables / sofa tables instead. Your coffee table might be destined for the formal room.

    Finally, if I had it to do over, I wish I would have known the power of chairs over loveseats and sofas. When I married, my dh and I had 3 loveseats, 2 sofas and 1 chaise lounge between us, but only one good armchair! They are much more functional / easier to make the room terrific with extra chairs. So, maybe watch craigslist now for accent chairs - singles or pairs and set aside 400 for secondhand chairs, new fabric, an upholsterer (unless you are experienced) and add some comfortable, classic accent chairs. Figure out some classic lined chairs - from wing chairs that can be covered with zingy modern fabric to wood mid century modern chairs - watch for a pair of great chairs first. An empty room with a gorgeous pair of chairs and one table isn't empty at all.
  • 13 years ago
    Lower your light fixture a couple of inches and perhaps buy something a bit larger. A nice arrangement of plants (3) in large medium and small pots would look good near the window..in the corner. A large or "lengthy" silver basket with some coloured balls (various sizes) would give the table a little bit of umph and add a bit of contrast to the room.
  • 13 years ago
    I wouldn't worry too much about your temporary situation. Save your creative juices for the new abode. Get some fresh flowers for the table top and don't fret about such a short term problem.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Very nice table. Overwhelming to move into a new house and know what will work. In time, the ideas will come.

    Here is another option. Over your table you can put a Leaded Glass Inverted Dome, Circa 1915 . http://bit.ly/16fYhKu
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with groveraxle, we moved from a modern home to a traditional style home almost 2 years ago, and I am still fighting with myself on where to put things because the layout is just not the same. Wait till you move, and as groveraxle suggests, use it as a holding station until a decision is made.

    If you are keeping the table, which seems in great condition, I do like the 2 chairs across from each other. I love the buffet table, very unique and I like the architecture look and I love the mirror. You have great items! Don't buy anything until you have decided on a design scheme that fits the new house.

    One more thing, dining rooms always shine with a great chandelier or in this case glass pendants as GenuineAntiqueLighting recommends.
  • 13 years ago
    Didn't realize you are moving! I would wait until you move before you have added expenses of trying to figure out what to do here. You'll have a brand new "canvas" to work with and it will look great!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love designing dining rooms more than any other room. Since you usually don't spend more than a few hours in this room at a time, you can be bold with your finish colors and fabrics. I would begin by selecting a fabric for drapes for the windows, or purchasing some pre-made panels (I love the Ikea panels because they are available in a longer length and hanging them high above the window is better proportion and fills the space even more). You could fill in the walls a bit by adding bookshelves to create a dining/library room. Bookshelves could always be used in some other room in the house when you are ready for new furnishings.Enjoy your new home!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I don't have a suggestion but just wanted to share that I feel your pain with upgrade fees on new construction; I'm in the same leaky boat. $450 to paint the ceilings white? Instead of their standard weird beige- which is no extra cost. Seriously?!
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your comments - inspired me to make the rental more liveable and quieted some of my panic on the new build!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Just finishing a large build with many cost over-runs... but planned for them by adding about 1/3 in the beginning.... try on $25K for sheetrock hang,tape,finish... ouch. Hopefully, there is money for pizza in the end..lol.
  • 13 years ago
    Looks great. How about some candlesticks on the table or chest?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looks fabulous. As suggested by dcuno, I would add cushions and pillows to make it into a separate seating area. The only other things I would add as time and budget allows are drapery panels and a contrasting rug under the table. Good luck on your build and with the move. I know these are stressful times!
  • 13 years ago
    I wish I had your problem. Wait til you move. I would suggest some Pictures placed on the walls. Save your money. The room looks good. Only make changes that willl go to the new house.
  • 13 years ago
    caryl
    You have good furniture, the rooms looks bare of personal touches, which can be cheap and easily moved to a new location. Decorate with bright colors with placemats or white runner( against the dark wood. Whatever you have on hand, a shinning crystal bowl, pottery, a vase with a fake plant gives life to the bare surface of the table. Consider painting the buffet a solid color that compliments what you have in dinnerware that a few pieces could sit on top. The current black/white design is attractive but limits decorating choices. Church run thrift stores put out clean linens and accessories at low prices. You have quality furniture, the room just needs to look more inviting for entertaining. . All dark surfaces shrink space. Move bench against window,. I made an extra pole for curtains out of broom handles to hang a valance across my picture window to save money. Experiment with finding a color theme you enjoy. I would not paint the table and chairs until you decide if you are going to use this set in your new home. Accent pieces can be painted . Candles are cheaper than new light fixtures. Make modest changes.