kate_elder20

Brand New Build - Water in Basement

Kate E
October 1, 2019

Hi all - We’ve been in our new home just barely 5 months - it’s been an exceptionally rainy season (WI), and with this morning’s storm, we got water in our basement.

Insurance Agent took a look and confirmed it’s not the sump pump, was not a back up. Appears to have come up through the concrete seams. It’s only on one side - in our unfinished storage, the bedroom along the wall with an exposed window. (Some water came in through the window, but not a measurable amount.) We also water on the bathroom floor - where the seam from the unfinished section runs right under that floor.

I called our builder and discussed it with him a bit - he’s going to come take a look tomorrow. I asked him which sub would be in the best position to troubleshoot and he said the concrete company- so I asked him to coordinate that but he wanted to see it first.

What could be going on? Our house faces north and sits on a bit of a hill, but the lot does slope down from west to east. It’s the east side that got water, and that’s where the exposed basement window is as well.

It’s not a clear gutter or downspout issue - downspouts are all buried except the one on the back (southeastern) corner- but we have a big tube directing water about 25-30 ft out into the backyard for now. Also, we have extra large downspouts which supposedly can handle a lot of water, and we just had Leaf Filters installed on gutters. (Wooded lot.)

Not sure if I am missing any other important details. Ranch home, on a typical .3 acre subdivision lot between two existing homes. Semi-custom with a reputable builder.

Now... what should I be asking, looking into, and asking our builder to do?? TIA!