Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vahouseremodel

question on Portico / front door

Rosa
4 years ago

Would you paint triangle of portico same color as house ? Or leave the trim color ? And any suggestions for front door ? Here is a picture.

Comments (25)

• houssaon
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think it would look better painted gray. The door would look good painted a sunny yellow.

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago

yes, it would look better same color as house.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank Housson. I never even thought about a different color for the portico.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Agree with Housson and Rachel, I also would suggest that the first floor windows by trimmed as the second floor windows.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Bottom part is the original brick house so not sure how hard / expensive but will ask builder about framing out bottom windows given comments.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks - since you all have been so helpful, one other thing I was toying with is by the portico there are two trim boards (one that runs just along portico). One thought I wondered is for that shorter board at portico, if it would also look better if color of house so just one trim board. Any views?

• PRO
    Schmidt Painting
    4 years ago

I 2nd the trimming of the 1st floor windows.

• Tracy Peters
    4 years ago

I think I would keep both borders white, although that is a tough one haha! The front door could also look gorgeous in either dark or seafoam green or red.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

We painted ours the same color as our house. About the second trim board, I think it could go either way, but I see why you might want to paint it the house color.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

The gable, though it matches the roof, seems to conflict with the arched window. A shed roof might have been a better choice for the front door.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I'm not a fan of that portico on that house either, so paint it to blend in and not be so prominent.

• User
    4 years ago

the shape of the portico is fine, no need to get carried away thinking of expensive architectural changes. good lord. it would look much better to paint the triangle grey though. if you can, maybe get somebody to add siding inside there. but even just painting it will go a long way.

door: since your house is grey, you have so many options to choose for the door color! I really love the shape. personally, I'd go for a bright mustard (if that makes sense), dark bold red, or maybe even gloss black.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

BF that is a great idea about just adding siding to portico ! Love that photo. Thanks !

• User
    4 years ago

you're welcome! this is more like the door color I'm thinking of.

• Rachel Lee
    4 years ago

I’d also paint those odd white trim bands the house color.

• rnonwheels
    4 years ago

Is that a brick sill on the lower windows that could maybe be painted the trim color? I hope you post to before and after - looks great and i would love to see more!

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

BF - what software did you use to show the color on portico ? Is it something I could use to try to see what color would look like if I painted the lower band house color ? I tried to find a program online but it was terrible — looked so unrealistic. Your picture is amazing !

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Paint the siding trim on the second floor the same color as the siding.

• User
    4 years ago

Photoshop. I'm a graphic designer, so I did this old school.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I added trim on the first floor windows. You can keep the frieze boards white, but paint out the portico gable and vertical corner trim to match the siding. A bright door and some ground cover on the slopes and this house will rock.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grover axle - very cool. Thank you. Some of you asked, here is a picture of the old house. My goal was to preserve as much of the foundation and then remake it. Obviously very different now.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For those who suggested I trim out the first floor windows, do you think I could do that on just the front, or would it look weird to not do the sides and back then as well?

• PRO
    Schmidt Painting
    4 years ago

would be fine on the front only if your objections is to raise the curb appeal but defiantly better all the way around.

• Rosa
    Original Author
    4 years ago

schmidt painting - thank you. yes, just thinking tackled a lot of projects so want to raise curb appeal but also focus on what is critical.