Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

OT: Update on my Fluffy-Butts

Sultry’s baby chick post inspired me to share some up-to-date photos of my flock...4 months old now! How time flies! They are very much in the adolescent stage and busy as can be!

Trudy in front (Easter Egger) And Ruby behind her (Rhode Island Red)

Comments (22)

  • 6 years ago


    Rhett the rooster, center. Flora (Cuckoo Maran) behind him, and Nellie’s tail end in front of him (Wyandotte Bantam.)

  • 6 years ago



    Stella (Easter Egger) and Nellie the Bantam Wyandotte

  • 6 years ago


    Mabel, the Leghorn

  • 6 years ago


    Flora, and Lola (Barred Rock) behind her, with Rhett having a dust bath.

  • 6 years ago

    Awww they are all so cute and they have gotten so big! Are any laying yet?


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Sultry! They have grown so fast, too. Not yet laying, but I’m thinking it’s just a few weeks more. :-)

  • 6 years ago


    I’d be remiss if I didn’t include, Dijon, who thinks she’s part of the flock, too. She keeps watch just outside the run, and she and the girls chat through the fence. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Perma, your chickens still got the baby looks and i think it will be a while before they do lay eggs.

    they look so adorable and cute....lol.

    That is funny to see Dijon as part of a flock . Cute :}

    Love her eyes and i bet her personality must be great to accept the chickens like part of the family. Great cat !!


    jasmin, your cat looks sooo cute and i am sorry she passed away. what a sweet cat to nurse other animals. it is so sad to see them go but she is always with you. Always !!


    jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Chickens are favorites of mine. Does Trudy have green legs and feet? Well, I should not be surprised, pigeons in breeding condition have red feet and legs.

    I had a pet Bobwhite quail, hatched in my incubator, and hand reared. He, Ruben, was as friendly as any dog or cat. He lived to the ripe old age of 9 years, 2 days, and 9 hours. When he voiced his Bobwhite whistle, it was so loud, ear wax would pop out of your ears. He was never sick a day of his life! Boy, is he still missed! He died on April 23, 1998.

    And, he, as a egg, only cost 75¢. When he was strutting around, I would tell him, "Ruben, you're no bank president, you're only worth 75¢!" He was a Georgia sourced egg, from Savannah, a perfect Southern Gentlemen, who brought Dixie charm to uptight Pennsylvania, where I live.

    Moses

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 6 years ago

    Perma, they are precious, with such beautifully marked feathers. I can just imagine how much pleasure they give you. Dijon is a lovely kitty, and how sweet that she's friends with your flock.

    Sultry, that is the cutest pose of your little one. I'm quite sure that her loving spirit is still with you.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 6 years ago

    I love the sweet face on your kitty, Sultry! I’m so glad you have some of her offspring.

    Yes, Moses, Trudy’s feet are indeed green. She was sold to me as Easter Egger, which have green to blue feet, much like the eggs they lay. She might even be an Olive Egger—we’ll just have to wait and see!

    I love the story of your quail, Ruben! I can just see that strut!

    Thank you, Jin and Ingrid...I do have so much fun with them. “Chicken TV” as it’s known, is my favorite way to unwind at the end of the day. :-)


  • 6 years ago

    Chicken TV....you crack me up, Perma. You are too funny :}


    jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you all for the nice kitty comments :)

    I might have some chick incubator TV going on later this week. I had some English Orpington eggs shipped to me awhile back and just went into lockdown on the incubator. They are supposed to hatch on the 17th. Shipped eggs are always iffy so I will be happy for whatever hatches lol.


    Jin, I bet Nikita would be begging you for Silkies if she saw them lol! They dont have real feathers just a bunch of fluff like a bunny and feathered feet like slippers.

    Some little Silkie roosters I had.



    Female Partridge Silkie



    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful silkies! And how exciting to have eggs to hatch! Keep us posted!

    I kept Rhett the rooster so that we could have some fertilized eggs this year. We started a 4H Club at school, and the kids are chomping at the bit to grow chickens. We hope to incubate some chicks and map out the genetic crosses. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Nikita said in her school they have all sorts of animals . They have Plymouth, Orpington, Easter Egger and silkies. She think silkies looks like little poodles. Last year thye had steers, dwaft goats, sheeps, pigs, snakes, hedgehogs etc This year she has no clue bec she is only taking 1 class in HS and the rest in college.


    Sneaky.....hmm... ".Where are my OM ?". Now i have to chase her...bye.


    jin


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Love, love, love your babies (feather and fur ones!). Murans and Wyandotte Bantam's in particular! However, how beautiful is your Leghorn, Mabel? WOW! Thank you for posting pictures. They are all beauties! Missed seeing the chickens and ducks (and the rest of the birds) at the county fair this year due to Newcastle threat. So it is a special treat to see yours!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, mustbenuts! They are a real joy, and add so much to being out in the garden. I’m so sorry you didn’t get to the fair. Ours is going on now, so I’m hoping to see some of my students’ entries. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    All so adorable! What a lesser place this world would be without wonderful creatures to share it with. Lisa

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    Aw, your Trudy looks just like my easter egger/ameracauna. Mine has a super independent personality compared to the others, she's always flying around the yard and trying to go on her own adventures.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Amanda! Trudy is rather independent, and just full of curiosity. I love how you describe your EE, “trying to have her own adventures”—so cute!! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Lovely chickens! Moses, love your quail story too.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal