Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkschu

Black interior doors?

mkschu
4 years ago

I love the look of black interior doors, but need help deciding whether to use them in the home we are currently renovating. It is not a large house, but has an open and airy feel due to large windows and high ceilings. Walls will be light gray (SW Repose Gray) with white trim and I am considering cabinets in a slightly darker shade of gray with a dark island. If I go with dark doors, I’ll use a dark gray, probably SW Black Fox. Opinions and thoughts are appreciated!

Also, with all the white on the front of the house, should I paint the exterior front door black?

Comments (17)

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

Your house looks very weighty and big....two things that I think would make black doors a winner...have you looked on Houzz for houses with black interior doors? That can give you some much needed feelings about black doors....and I have seen them in model homes that past year; if not black then a definite color to work with the house decor..ie. navy blue, willow green, charcoal grey, which is deep enough might look black, give impact, and be a bit softer than black....BM has some great blacks in their color palette.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thoughts are: that’s a lot of gray for a house you describe and light and airy.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Really depends on the interior. It can look fabulous in the right space.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Without seeing the interior, I say paint the doors the same as the white trim color.

You could paint the front door black for sure. Maybe try a mock up. SW has a color viewer to help get an idea.

You didn’t ask but are you sure you want that much gray? Have you always really loved gray? The color is fine but layered gray on gray on gray will put this house in this specific time period which is also ok but just be aware. It’s already on its way out and soon will possibly start feeling tired or dated to you. I know many will say its only paint but it’s still time and money and the color choices may also affect your other furnishings. Decorating usually always evolves over time. My blabbering point is make sure you think your decorating plan through. I started decorating at the end of the fake Tuscan trend. I wish I would have tried to pick more classic choices and learn my style better.

• Donna Tepper
    4 years ago

My daughter has black interior doors, and although beautiful, they do chip and then the white from the doors shows through. She is constantly touching them up. Just something to think about.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

I love the look of black interior doors!

Here are some photos from my Ideabook:

Greenwich · More Info

Daniel Island Rhoden Island Living Room · More Info

Showhouse Girls Bedroom · More Info

Governor's House · More Info

Aviemore · More Info

Entry · More Info

• bubblyjock
    4 years ago

There have been some solid posts over at Remodelista about black interior doors - easier to google than to use their search engine, which is not quite as hopeless as Houzz's ;)

• tarhlfan
    4 years ago

Love black interior doors and the front door would look great painted black as well. All of our interior doors are navy blue and I love them!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Black interior doors? The term "dramatic" comes to mind. Will likely work in a large home; however how well it would work would depend upon the rest of your interior.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

If your house has lots of natural light then go for the black doors! I've seen it in several houses and it's a really great look! Note: make sure your doors are nice looking otherwise you will be drawing attention to ugly doors. I think the front of your house would look great with a fibreglass wood-look door. Either that or a colour, not black. Perhaps a shade of dusty medium blue that would go with your brown roof?

• mkschu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I will try to get some interior pictures soon, we are in the middle of a renovation, so it is currently quite a mess. I had a lot of comments that I might be choosing too much gray. I will have wood floors, white trim and am still debating whether to make the island the same color as the doors or a darker (than the floors) wood stain. The wall color will be a very pale gray—SW Repose that I will have mixed 25% lighter. Currently the walls and trim are all white and with all the windows and high ceilings, it feels rather stark and cold. I hope adding the warm gray walls and wood floors will warm it some.

Thank you Diana Bier Interiors for the pictures, and I’ll check out some of the other websites mentioned. I’ll try to get picture s p

• mkschu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ll try to get pictures added soon. !

• njmomma
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

If you are renovating the last thing you choose is wall color .

• mkschu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

These are some interior quick pictures I took today. As I said, we are in the middle of the renovation, so please excuse the mess. Thank you for your input!

• mkschu
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And...