Software
Houzz Logo Print
joealvord

Fall update. I'll try to post photos.

We are getting into Fall here. Peter Schneider is shipping lilacs and roses tomorrow to me. It has been a great Summer really. My Spring trip to Italy made me miss some Spring flush here. We had 8 days hit 100 F and a few days of smoke at the most. We've had a bit of rain start again in August after June and July with none. We had 28 inches of rain this past rain year (10/1/18 - 9/30/19) which was over our average.

I think the alfalfa hay mulch and arborist wood chip mulch really helped my plants stay cooler. I think my pre Fall fish fertilizer/alfalfa potion helped a few plants. I really have just been doing dormant Winter manure and organic plant Tone and by September some plant's tank had run dry. I might consider adding the pre Fall boost every year.

One negative is the sunburn damage on some rose canes preceded the dreaded flat head apple borer damage on at least 7 large wonderful canes that then had to be pruned off because the cane wilted with the worm in the center. It was very ugly, trust me. I hope the Teas can cope, because they hate pruning. I hope you are heading into Fall in good spirits, all.

Comments (23)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago


    Archduke Charles is wonderful, separate from the warm Tea garden colors.
    Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux

  • 6 years ago


    Georgetown Tea
    Mrs. BR Cant

  • 6 years ago



    General Gallieni
    Cressida from Hortico

  • 6 years ago


    Spinosissima Fall colors
    Miss Agnes C. Sherman on the left.

  • 6 years ago


    Cressida is a baby, but lovely. Thank you Rick.

  • 6 years ago


    Our old barn friend.
    Fall chaos.

  • 6 years ago


    Heart shaped Teasing Georgia
    Maman Cochet. Hi Ingrid.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    You have so many gorgeous roses

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 6 years ago

    Absolutely beautiful. I love the colors of Spinosissima which is so unique.

    jin


    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Sheila. I could look at teas all day. You have some beauties.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago

    They’re so beautiful, Sheila. I agree with flowers, I love the Teas!

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Sheila!

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked steelrosez9sfbay
  • 6 years ago

    Big sigh—-so dreamy, Sheila! I love all your teas. So much beauty!

    (My order from Peter is on its way today, too. Very excited. Did you get any Russian lilacs?)

    Thank you for all the great photos! :-)

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 6 years ago

    Perma, I got every Russian lilac Peter had! I had some in Alaska after I read an article Peter wrote about how wonderful they were years ago. It was too cold for them at my home in Alaska. They did not bloom there for me outside of Anchorage. A gardener friend there had "Beauty of Moscow" bloom for him in Anchorage. The fragrance and beauty was astounding, I thought. That is the only one I have seen bloom. I hope they like it here.


    Also, vapor, I told Peter what a help you were recommending him. I just called you vaporvac from Houzz. If you ever want to out yourself to him, I'm sure he appreciates your recommendations and you should keep them up.

  • 6 years ago

    Shelia, Your Teas are so beautiful!

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 6 years ago

    Good to get your fall report and hear that you've had a good year. I sigh seeing your Teas: aside from one small terraced area, I've never been able to get them to grow well here. That will be an effort for another day, I hope. On the other hand, I've been out doing cleanup, and some of the once-blooming roses and Hybrid Perpetuals have gotten gigantic and are clearly as happy as can be.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 6 years ago

    It is so interesting how each of our plots of land in our varied locations can all have different favorite roses that thrive. Here, I was hoping Teas would grow after falling in love with Ingrid's photos. I am thrilled they grow here. I love species and HPs and chinas and noisettes and I could go on and on. I think I am 42 degrees latitude and you are North of that. It will be so much fun to see and hear about your garden over the years. I did get some gallicas now and am adding more clematis and lilacs. I hope in 5 years it could really be nice, if I do the cleanup and maintenance adequately. Good luck with your Fall, Melissa!

  • 6 years ago

    Lovely photos, Sheila, and what a pretty house! And of course, the view! I envy you those lilacs - it's too warm for them here. I'm curious about the fence in your new Tea Garden. Why did you build it there?

    It's Spring here, and despite the depredations of the horrible fungus, parts of my garden are looking ok. Mme Lambard is blooming her head off, though in a rather hotter pink than I like, and Marie van Houtte, despite me having removed more than a third of her, is looking luscious.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • 6 years ago

    Oh so beautiful! I've just planted Archduke Charles, Maman Cochet, and Mrs. B R Cant, and am hoping for a few blooms in the spring. Yours are just lovely and make me so eager to bury my nose in their flouncy blooms.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Dotsie Adams 8b
  • 6 years ago

    Sheila how beautiful everything looks in your garden. Love your house and all your wonderful roses.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all for your kind remarks. All the support here has been such a help in growing my new garden.

    Trish, that wood fence of my second Tea garden was just there when we bought our home. It seemed to be a privacy fence. We have found this and the fence around the property a huge help in providing planting sites. I'm so glad you still have some Teas. We do have 3 lilacs growing fine when we got here and I am adding 8 more. I hope the new lilacs like it here. We might be on the southern end of Syringa vulgaris climates for sure. My species tulips did not come back. I'm hoping for the best.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, Sheila, and good luck with yours! I do love your Teas, all Teas, and hope one day to be able to grow them, though it certainly won't happen if I don't focus my energies. The garden is growing, and that is a thrill.

    It is a very warm fall, really not fall, not yet. I walked to town today in a t-shirt. I hope climate change isn't moving us right out of the temperate zone, with our privileges of being able to grow lilacs and Gallicas.

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8