Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

kitchen materials: would love your feedback

girl_wonder
4 years ago

I'm having problems posting pics so I'm going to do this in parts. Sorry for the disjointed post.

I’d love feedback on my kitchen materials. I’m remodeling my 1940s bungalow. My current kitchen is stuck in the 80s (hello golden oak) so I want to make this room feel more like it was part of the original house.

Floorplan (I’ve tweaked the cabinet layout, but this is the general idea. That layout discussion is here:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5808056/kitchen-layout-feedback-please

Comments (69)

• PRO
    Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

girl_wonder I love the Quartzites that are white with a little movement Montblanc, Calacutta Quartzite are pretty because they are natural I strongly recommend you go the importer and tag your own slab then you know exactly what you are getting. There is quite a range now available to see. Also I would recommend you do run the Douglas fir into the kitchen it would look much nicer not to do a floor change and wood is very forgiving to stand on or when you drop something it doesn't always break on wood but it will on tile. Also the wood would look great with the white cabinets and add warmth to the kitchen. Here is an article on douglas fir

http://www.dougfirflooring.com/blog/lets-talk-about-doug-firs-janka-hardness/

girl_wonder thanked Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
  • acm
    4 years ago

I think your walnut cabinet is too close to the color of your tile and will sort of disappear. maybe the right solution for you is two counters but all white cabinets. (I'm also not sure that the tones of the floor tile match the tones of the wood floors, but since you say they're getting refinished, maybe you have a change of tone planned too.)

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the continued feedback. I really appreciate it. For context, here's the front of my house (pre-demo) and a rendering with the new garage and redesigned arbor.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, the doug fir floors are a challenge! But I want to keep the original ones, and one goal of this project is to make the house feel more consistent. acm I won't be changing the tone when we refinish. I want to keep them close to original; besides, fir doesn't allow a lot of options, not like oak.

Sabrina Balsky Interior Design thanks for the suggestions on quartzite colors. They look like they are bigger "statements" than I was considering. Though, coincidentally (? or not?) one kitchen I found on Houzz w/ fir floors has Calacutta on the island. (and then grey counters on the perimeter) Hmmmm

Classical Kitchen · More Info

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I may be in the minority, but I thought wood in the kitchen wasn't a great idea. (water leakage etc). When I first started this project, i was trying to find some tile that would look good next to the fir. This is the best I found:

a: Crossville Sacred Sand

https://www.crossvilleinc.com/Products/Argent/Sacred-Sand

b) A marble look alike

One reason I liked these is that they also look good next to white painted wood. (I'd post more pics but you know...Houzz ...)

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's rare to find photos w/ fir floors in the kitchen, but I search here for "fir tile". Some people install fir cabinets or paneling and the slate floor. I tried some slate look alikes but they were very dark and grey. From the front door my kitchen floor looked like a black hole. Here's the least offensive slate lookalike that I found (I think it's Florida Tile Craftsman Rye)

Some other people with fir (cabinets, etc) go with a very light beige tile.

So the kitchen floor needs to look good with the adjoining fir floors and the island cabinet. Maybe walnut and fir are too different--no wonder I've been having a hard time finding the right floor to go w/ both. FWIW, I have other wood furniture in my house (quartersawn oak dining room set and buffet; a nice TV-armoire in the front room, etc). All these woods have a warm tone. (the quartersawn oak has red undertones). I had considered quartersawn oak for the island but felt like it would mean the room has to go in full-on craftsman mode, which is too much for me.

Maybe I do need to go w/ fir floors in the kitchen???? (I had considered it). Or...one of these tiles (the marble look alike) and then a painted island. Either all white cabs and two counters, like acm suggested. Or a consistent counter and a colored cabinet (sage green or ?)

Thoughts??? Sorry for so many posts. I'll be glad when Houzz fixes that problem uploading photos. THANK YOU!!!! ;)

• eam44
    4 years ago

Cork flooring might be just the thing. It comes in lots of finishes so I’m sure you can find one that is in a similar tone you your fir. It’s also comfortable to stand on, very durable, water resistant, and can be refinished.

girl_wonder thanked eam44
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I want to say "thanks" again everyone who responded, esp. eam44 and Sabrina Balsky Interior Design for all your comments.

I slept on it. I also tried to turn off my brain as I clicked through my many kitchen ideabooks to see which rooms had a mood I loved. Turns out they (almost?) all have wood floors, and are very white and bright with pops of color. Looking at some of my inspo pics, there are a few that look like they have fir floors, even if they aren't labeled. Anyway...I will contact the hardwood guy to get a bid on putting fir in the kitchen. I've considered seemingly every surface for that kitchen floor and none are great. Maybe this is an omen... ;)

BTW, I found this:

Douglas Fir Flooring in Kitchens and Bathrooms: Is it “wet room” friendly?

http://www.dougfirflooring.com/blog/douglas-fir-flooring-in-kitchens-and-bathrooms-is-it-%E2%80%9Cwet-room%E2%80%9D-friendly/

I'm also going to rethink whether I want a wood island. Walnut doesn't go w/ fir; previously I'd considered a quarter-sawn island but backed off because it had a very distinct craftsman feel. So I may be doing all white painted cabinets. White counter on the island. (BTW, a couple rooms with fir floors and white painted islands had calacutta gold marble counters on the island. So maybe go for the quartzite if I can find it or....consider a quartz knock-off. (I know, it's not real stone).hmmmm. Not sure about the perimeter counter. The darker counter is very period but the rooms that feel light/bright/airy seem to be all white, with pops of color (like a nice fabric roman shade, or blue chairs in the breakfast nook)

This feels like a big about-face but it's been hard to get all these materials to come together. Maybe there's a reason. Maybe I should take the path of least resistance and mimic one/some of the inspo rooms, in terms of materials.

BTW, I found this site that lists sources for arts and crafts tile (including Heritage Tile! ;)

https://artsandcraftshomes.com/kitchens-and-bathrooms/sources-for-arts-crafts-tile

I'll keep thinking about this, but I want to say "thanks" to you all!!!

• eam44
    4 years ago

You’re welcome! I think continuing your fir floors in your kitchen is a great idea. Letting go of the walnut island, also a good idea.

It’s so funny, when I’m collecting inspiration images, I’m just clicking on beautiful spaces. Studying them always teaches me something too. Good work.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

If you're going to go with all white cabinets, what about doing a mix of soapstone (or one of its granite doppelgangers like Jet/Black/Virginia Mist) with either quartz or quartzite?

girl_wonder thanked Kristin S
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

eam44 it's been a real eye opener. I was surprised even by little things. i.e. even though I was *certain* that I wanted ORB knobs/pulls, when I scrutinized the rooms that had a mood I loved, the hardware was always silver (probably polished chrome. I'll have to review) THANK YOU for steering me back to my inspo pics. I want to look at them again when I have more time (tonight?) but it makes me feel like maybe I'd been trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.... ;)

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristin S yeah I like the soapstone look/idea. I still have that one sample at my house of Caeserstone Woodlands. It was less contrast-y than a black Pental Quartz I had tried the day before, Java Noir (?)

BTW, this kitchen here (with fir floors and calacutta island counter) has nice perimeter counters but they are freaking limestone. (too porous for me)

Classical Kitchen · More Info

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I would check out the leathered black granites. (Actually, I did, and that's what we chose :-) ). Around me they're cheaper than quartz, and they're generally more durable, too. And you get the more unique character that you can only achieve through natural stone, in my experience.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

Honed Virginia Mist is a lovely look-alike for soapstone for the perimeter, too, without the oiling that soapstone requires to keep it dark. Leathered has more of a textured surface; honed is more of a smooth, matte one.

girl_wonder thanked Michelle misses Sophie
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Kristin S and Michelle misses Sophie for your suggestions. I'm wary of granite, after the NYTimes article reported that some slabs emit radon, which causes cancer. Someone I know was that stone yard and a customer had brought a Geiger counter to check the counter top. Geez!

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I would read up before I ruled out granite based on the NYT article. I did a little more reading and we're not concerned about it, though everyone has a different risk tolerance. While there's a possible risk, it's less than the risk from a lot of other things we do regularly (get an x-ray, fly on a plane, etc.). Also, gray and black granite, particularly without large veining, seem to be notably lower risk. https://sciencing.com/types-igneous-rock-large-crystals-8350141.html

• PRO
    4 years ago

You are welcome glad I could help but I do encourage you to stick with real stone counters. I would go and check out the Quartzite slabs I am sure you will find one you love. Btw I would go with polished nickel not chrome much prettier with white

• PRO
    4 years ago

Do you have a picture of your existing douglas fir floors and are you clear coating or staining?

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

klynneg Good question. Yes, there is fir but only under 6’ x 12’ of the 19’x12’ kitchen. (there was a bump out in the late 80s, plus this new bump out) But it proves that fir can work in a kitchen! Glad yours did.

Sabrina Balsky Interior Design I’m planning to just refinish and use a clear coat, not change the color. Picture of the floor below. Thanks for your other suggestions.

Yesterday I looked at the inspo pics I’ve torn out of magazines. Of the ones I really love, a pattern emerged: light, bright, all-white (cabs, counters, backsplash) with pops of blue (often a blue and white patterned fabric, like a roman shade or upholstered barstool).

When I returned samples to the tile store, I came across a tile I’ve seen before that I LOVE but assumed didn’t fit with my kitchen or house. But I LOVE it. How can I make this tile work? The blue is obviously not a regulation arts-and-crafts color.

https://www.tile-shop.com/products/maiolica/maiolica.html

Here are the samples against my fir floors in the guest room. I think the colors work, right?

My thought: fir floors, all white painted cabinets, white counters on island and perimeter (a quiet white. what kind?), and then this statement backsplash.

I would use a variety of tiles and do a nice layout (maybe skip the triangle tiles). I have a lot of original art in the house, plus a lot of handmade ceramic mugs etc. So this fits with the “crafts” part of arts and crafts, if not with the palette. I love this color, have a ton of stuff already that would go.

I think this tile could work with the all-white kitchen but how can I make this work so the kitchen fits into the house? As eam44 pointed out, the house doesn’t have to craftsman, maybe vintage/cottage-beachy? (I live in a beach town).

FWIW, I am also remodeling the master bath and am currently aiming for “vintage elegant”: white ceramic subways on the walls with Carrara accents (a basketweave "rug" on the room floor). How can I make these rooms feel like they are all part of the same house? Maybe stick with “vintage” looking kitchen faucet etc? (I'll be getting a Rohl Viaggio for the master bath faucet).

THANK YOU for all your help!!!! I feel like I’m doing a major U-turn, but I’m excited (not feeling stuck, like before). THANKS!

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This pic is from the book The New Bungalow Kitchen https://www.amazon.com/New-Bungalow-Kitchen-Peter-Labau-ebook/dp/B00LFAQGL6 . There were statement backsplashes back in the day.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    4 years ago

Hi girl_wonder. I love blue too one of my favorites. You could use them as the backsplash, as the picture above but not a variety just as shown, or use blue accents in the barstools and window treatments. If you do dark tiles make sure you have adequate under cabinet lighting ,pucks are good, recessed mounted . Have you thought about lighting it is critical to a well designed kitchen? I like Benjamin Moore Super white it is a warm white not too blue. As far as the bathroom goes again I would stick with Carrera throughout. Places like Floor and Decor have very reasonable prices on marble. I wouldn't feel married to the design of the house just referencing is enough. and when you do timeless design it will work with the period of the house and feel integrated.

• klynneg
    4 years ago

I am (definitely) not a pro, but I really like your ideas and your taste--very similar to mine. I, too, was trying to work in Motawi tile for my kitchen backsplash, but realized it does not work with the rest of what I have (painted white trim and lighter colors). I may still hang a few of their art tiles (framed or not) as accent pieces that give a nod to the vintage of our house. That blue and white tile you show above is lovely; I like the large sample leaning against the wall the best. Several of your inspiration pictures appear to have blue/green or green in them, which could look very nice with the blue and white. I call my style "elegant cottage", but I like "vintage elegant" even better. Do you have white trim in your home? That could be a starting place for choosing a white for your cabinets. I can't wait to see all of what you choose!

girl_wonder thanked klynneg
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sabrina Balsky Interior Design thanks for the feedback. That's a good point about the backsplash possibly being too dark. Yes, I'll think about the lighting. Thanks a lot for the paint color recommendation because choosing white is so hard. thanks! I'll order some of those oversized paint samples. Do you think it's a mistake to mix the patterns at all? I love the variety. I doesn't need to be that crazy mashup like that one pic but maybe some variety. Here's the 2'x 2' samples boards from when I first saw it 2 months ago:

If you click through (at the bottom), you can see some examples

I'm amazed at all the different directions you can take with this. I don't even like the triangles but I think this is cool.

I'll think about this more. Thanks for your thoughts.

On the master bath, here's the thread I started. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5809869/white-ceramic-subway-tile-w-marble-in-master-bath-can-this-work

I had considered all marble but it felt like too much, too luxurious for the modest house and even for me personally. I want a touch of luxury but I want to feel grounded, too, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your comments on referencing the period of the house. I want my house to feel consistent. Another benefit of having fir floors in the kitchen! Thanks again for steering me in that But maybe Pental Quartz Misterio?

https://pentalquartz.com/products/misterio/

klynneg thanks for your additional comments. I didn't know you considered Motawi. Aren't they beautiful?? Yes, I have white trim around my windows. (currently Kelly Moore's Swiss Coffee, the same color as the white door in the photo I posted w/ my fir floors). Sounds like we have similar houses and taste. Are you done w/ your remodel? Have any pics to share? (or maybe you've posted them in another thread?) I'd be curious to see.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

• PRO
    4 years ago

hi i would keep it simple with the tile the all blue is the best choice

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Huh interesting. Thanks!

• salex
    4 years ago

My house is a 1920 bungalow with fir floors on the main story, and the fir under the old sheet vinyl was unfortunately not salvageable. I considered putting in "new" fir, knowing that it would be a couple of years before it aged to a similar color as the adjacent floor, and then decided to do vinyl tiles in a pale beige instead. I also did what you mentioned above: my cabinets are fir, which I think ties in well with the rest of the house.

I love Motowi tile but couldn't stomach the cost. Instead I looked for other painted accent tiles, and ended up getting one blingy tile that will be installed next month amid a blue/grey/green subway tile (below the bling) and off-white subway tile above the bling. Anyway, my point is that you can probably find something cheaper that has a similar look - but as mentioned above, it does have a fairly craftsman-type feel.

girl_wonder thanked salex
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Salex. Always great to hear from someone else dealing with similar issues. I’d love to see any pics of you're willing to share.

• salex
    4 years ago

I tried to post a couple of times, and both times Houzz deleted everything I posted right after I hit "submit". I'll try once more...

• salex
    4 years ago

Ok, houzz is deleting every item I try to post that has any photos (even after waiting until they're not grayed out). Here is a link to a post with near-completed kitchen photos (about 2/3 way down the page): https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4355498/making-or-made-your-own-cabinets-me-too-3-month-progress-update

I really like the LVT more than I thought I would. It was DH's selection, based on its softness, water resistance, and compatibility with our in-floor radiant heat retrofit (adjacent fir floors required more specialized installation of the heating system).

And here is the tile I'm using for my backsplash: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5633093/tile-visualizer-for-multiple-tiles

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Salex I love those tiles! And I can’t believe you built your own cabs. That’s amazing. I can’t wait to see the final result.

Btw did you ever find a tool to help you visualize your backsplash. If I go with the blue patterned tiles that would be helpful.

• klynneg
    4 years ago

Salex, I just clicked over to both your links, and all I can say is Wow! I have only ever wanted a white kitchen, but your cabinets would make me change my mind. And that tile! Just this morning I was trying to think of some way to tie in the black/grey/green of the soapstone on our island with the rest of the kitchen--you have given me some food for thought.

Girl_Wonder, I also was not able to post pictures the last time I tried. It has been a couple of weeks, though. We are close to being finished with our kitchen (except for backsplash and final coat of paint which may not happen for a while). I will try posting pictures again probably within the next week or so. We are using Ikea off-white cabinets, so for better or worse, I did not have to pick a paint color for the cabinets.

girl_wonder thanked klynneg
  • eam44
    4 years ago

Hi GW - just because you're not in a craftsman style bungalow doesn't mean you can't have a statement splash. I see you're working on the quilt aspect of it! Do you like the patchwork look below? Is that what you're going for?

• User
    4 years ago

Hi girl_wonder. I saw these on Wayfair * https://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/casablanca-market-mallory-indooroutdoor-4-x-4-ceramic-tile-in-blueyellow-klhn1164.html ) and thought they might work in your kitchen. I think the yellow/brown tones would work well with your floors and you would get the blue color you like. They would bring some pop to your all white kitchen (which I personally love). I think if you used this sparingly (say above the stove - as in the second photo below) it would coordinate nicely with white subway tiles. Remember, back in the day, white subway tiles were what was commonly used so they are always going to be timeless and classic. This way you keep with the homes general time period, but more current and with your personal touches/liking.

Something like the photo below (except surrounded by plain white subway tiles) but a larger, or taller square inset (like the second photo).

Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Also, I know you said you no longer wanted to do a wood island top but using wood for your island would certainly tie in with your floors and it's practical. Obviously matching the wood, as closely as possible, to your floors. This way you could have the marble on your other counters which would blend in nicely with your subway tile. So your focal points in the kitchen would be the lovely tile backsplash that wouldn't compete with your marble counters. I know many folks think that having an all white kitchen may look too stark but the wood from the floors and the island will keep the room "warm". I may have missed it in this string but have you thought about what type of hardware/faucets you would like to use? Sticking to something more "vintage" looking will be in keeping with the period of the house.

In any case, I hope you post photos when it's all done. I'd love to see how it all turns out. Good luck!

girl_wonder thanked User
  • salex
    4 years ago

Klynneg, thanks for the kind words.

Girl_wonder, my contact at Fireclay produced a mockup for me. It was really helpful. I know others here on GW/houzz are talented with backsplash mockups, but I needed help.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Eam44, you’re the third person who said it looked like a quilt! I wasn’t thinking that, I just love the tile: the colors, individual designs and how they look together; all of it! Their website shows different ideas. if I go this route, I’d need to invest time doing the layout (maybe get help from my artsy friends). Since they are 4x4, a 18” BS is only 4 Tiles high (plus , I guess, a 1” blue border at the top and bottom). So it might take some effort to think through. Who knows? Maybe as a first pass on the design, I’ll start with that pic you posted, starting at the row below the triangles, and go from there. (that looks like a 3’ wide section). I may do a bigger block above the stove, maybe that 2’x2’ sample board I brought home. we’ll see. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Thanks for your encouragement on this whole room.

Olga, thanks for your comments. I love those tiles! They remind me a great italian pottery. Right now I’m in love with the blue and white ones, but let me keep this in mind. Thanks for your help.

btw on photos, I’ve had probs too. I’ve had to resize to 70-80 MB and post two pics max. Sometimes only one per post. Frustrating! Thanks for trying and for all the help?

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Salex!!! that looks amazing!

• eam44
    4 years ago

I would recommend choosing only tiles whose design is complete within in the 4"x4" tile. If you need to put four tiles together to see the pattern, you're not going to like the result. Also, yes, you are right, it will take planning to come up with the design, but it'll be fun to play with!

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

eam44 you may be right. Since it’s only 4 tiles high, a design that’s 2 tiles by 2 tiles might be out of proportion with the space. Could I get away with that behind the stove or just treat that area like the rest? I still like the randomness of sometimes having two or three of the same tiles next to each other. do you think that would work? Thanks.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Sure. The half squares arranged like a pinwheels might be pretty in a sea of white tiles - or even something more elaborate as below - but you really have to try it to see if it’ll work in context with the other patchwork tiles.

For some inspiration on what you might be able to accomplish with the half square triangles, check out this mathcreation page (not everything on it is doable with these tiles).

• User
    4 years ago

girl_wonder. You're most welcome. Sounds like eam44 has some great suggestions and that mathcreation thing is really cool. I love all shades of blue. It's actually my favorite color so I can't wait to see what you come up with and how it turns out!

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

salex, thanks for mentioning that you contacted your tile company. It prompted me to email the Tile Shop and they sent me a photo of someone’s kitchen and it looks great. All one tile; one of the designs that needs 4 files to complete the design). He also played around with other backsplash ideas and sent me pictures. I love them. Unfortunately I am having technical problems uploading the photos! Arg. I’m also tired. So I may have to try again tomorrow.

Eam44 and Olga, thanks for your ideas and all your support! Eam44, that’s design/tool is so cool. Yes this cobalt blue is my favorite.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's the pic of someone's kitchen using all Adagio tiles.

FWIW, the sample board I brought home was slightly different Armonia .

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The guy at the tile shop played around with the tiles to show other possibilities for backsplashes

Random:

A variety of patterns (like a quilt?)

His opinion is that having all random on the backsplash might be too much. He was recommending using this white as the upper and lower border. When I asked about using the blue, he said it would make it darker but if I have a lot of natural light it could work.

What do you think? I'm in love with these tiles. Right now I'm thinking I'll likely do the backsplash as the all-Adagio or all-Armonia. But I love these other tiles and the randomness, so I'm been wondering if I can bring them in at all--maybe as coasters or a trivet (ha). Or...here's the brain fart du jour....I need a bistro table for the nook. I could make it 32x24 and cover the top with a random pattern of these tiles. (and maybe make it counter-height, so it can be pulled over to use as extra seating at the island. But that feels like a whole other topic...)

• HU-161159613
    4 years ago

follow

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's an inspo shot from the company. My tabletop would be much smaller, 6 tiles by 8 tiles, and I could have the tiles around the edges be white. I don't know. Maybe I'm going overboard... ;)

• eam44
    4 years ago

Yeah - that's always a possibility when you find something you love. But some people respond to a busier look. One poster described herself as a magpie - always looking for new shiny things. Keep in mind that you are going to see lots of pretty tiles, and these tiles are definitely a look. They will define your space.

Blue is my favorite color, and I was certain I wanted a blue bs. I even knew which pattern I wanted. Six months later - meh. I'd rather have a neutral and put color elsewhere. Give yourself room to grow and change. Same tile as I was interested in below - but I like the neutral better.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good point. Can you post what you final chose?

• eam44
    4 years ago

I'm still in demo mode. I'm not choosing my tile until I have counters, but when I know, I'll let you know. My guess is that you might be done before me...

The tile above is Fireclay tile in small diamonds that runs $45/sf - nuts, right? But it's so pretty and it will be great with the MCM feel of the space. The glaze I'm planning on is Tusk.

My original inspiration image was the one below, with the same tile in Lagoon

Pretty different, right? And don't think I'm done by any means. It took me a long time to find this look, but part of me dislikes the amount of grout involved in the final look - the maintenance involved is really just annual sealing, but I mean, what if I forget? And I love encaustic tile too.