Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minorad

Cleaning granite?

4 years ago

Just curious as to what everyone uses to clean granite counters.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• 4 years ago
  • 4 years ago

Just a dish cloth with warm water and Dawn mostly (ours is leathered and sealed), followed by a clean towel to dry. For disinfecting I use a spray bottle of 3 parts water to 1 part alcohol with a few drops of lavender oil (kept in my sink cabinet). Sprits, wipe, wipe dry. I do that about every week. Lavender oil is optional, of course : )

• 4 years ago

If you absolutely must spend money on a special product, lots of people like the Method brand granite cleaner.

• 4 years ago

Water and alcohol ( Isopropyl) mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I love using warm water with any cleaning solution. Half of the work is done by the warm water. Majority of my job becomes easier.

• 4 years ago

My alcohol-water-essential lavender oil in a spray bottle.

• 4 years ago

Hot, soapy dish sponge. When it needs a little shine, I use a homemade spray. I make mine out of 12 oz water, three drops of Basic H, and six drops of essential oil. A bottle of Basic H will last for years. Same process for quartz and granite.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Damp Dobie sponge with a bit of dishwashing liquid, then dry with a paper towel or towel. Too much soap will leave a haze. Also, the homemade one that Cat_mom mentioned above has been a Gardenweb favorite for many years, and it's a good one, but I just use dishwashing liquid (Seventh Generation Dish Soap - not gloppy, not weirdly green-colored, gentle on my hands). I have had different granite counters for 20+ years. I have always had the type of granites that do not need sealing. As to cleaning products, I see no reason to buy a special-purpose granite cleaner; that is just marketing to get you to spend more, and also take up more room under the sink for different cleaning products.

• 4 years ago

Granite Gold Daily Cleaner, or sometimes just a microfiber cloth and water.

• 4 years ago

I wipe mine down with the soapy dish cloth after I'm done washing the dishes every night. I use nothing special and agree with Shannon above.

• 4 years ago

Dish soap will build up after a while. Think of the water you use to rinse dishes to get the soap off. You are not rinsing your counters. The soap remains on there.

• 4 years ago

@vinmarks - as I mentioned, I have been using dish soap on different granite in different homes for more than 20 years. No buildup. My counters are as glossy, clear and smooth as the day they were installed. If there is buildup it means that either too much soap was used, the sponge wasn’t wet enough, and/or the type of dish soap is gloppy and thick and doesn’t wipe up easily as a result.

• 4 years ago

I use Young Livings Thieves Cleaner to clean every single surface in my house.

• 4 years ago

I used alcohol & water, probably 20/80 for 5 years. It looked as good as it did the day of instillation. I did not want soap build up.

• 4 years ago

100% agree with Shannon. My counters absolutely glisten. No soap build-up at all.

• 4 years ago

Alcohol and water, 50-50, in a spray bottle.

• 4 years ago

I use what cat_mom uses, found it here a long time ago. My counters look brand new after 6+ years.

• 4 years ago

I just use a microfiber cloth moistened with hot water. If there are messes dried onto the granite, sometimes I use the scrubby side of a dish sponge and/or the soft side to do a pre-cleaning, then finish up with the microfiber cloth to make it shine. Nothing else needed to keep our granite clean & shiny for 15 years and counting.

• 3 years ago

With COVID situation can’t find alcohol what else can I use

• 3 years ago

I'm surprised you can't find alcohol -- but I guess local situations are different. Amazon has alcohol, you can order there.

• 3 years ago

Mimi, my grocery store has been really short on alcohol all these months, but Walmart rx seemed to have plenty!

• 3 years ago

@Mimi - Walgreens in my area has plenty of bottles of isopropyl alcohol. There was a shortage months ago, but not now. You can go on the Walgreens website and go to the isopropyl alcohol listing, and see which stores in your area have it on the shelves right now.