Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Rose American Beauty

6 years ago

(Not All American Beauty)


I had never known about this rose. The name is unusual for a OGR. I am trying to decide if I want to grow this one. It sounds attractive. Is it lovely? The color, the fragrance, the habit, the blooming and disease resistance? Please talk about your experience with this rose. I want to grow a few exceptional OGRs. If I do get it there is own root from ARE and grafted from Palatine, which should I get?

Thanks!

Comments (23)

  • 6 years ago

    I’m assuming you are referring to the Hybrid Perpetual American Beauty. I have that one, own root from ARE, I think It was in its second season. Last year it was a one cane wonder, but this spring it did put on some new growth and I was hopeful. Bloomed early on, and I loved the fragrance. I know rain is good for roses, but not twenty inches in one month. I know that had an affect on many of my roses, including that one. I’m hoping it will recover and be okay next year. I’m wondering about it being on multiflora too, might be the best option.



    katyajini thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 6 years ago

    What an electric color

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The name of the rose is unusual in that it was NOT its original name, which was ‘Mme Ferdinand Jamin’, bred in 1875 in France. An American nurseryman "rebranded" it in 1886 and started growing it as a greenhouse cut flower, and that changed the cut flower scene in a big way.

    There is absolutely nothing "American" about that rose, except its appropriation and renaming by an American enterprise. (An accepted practice back in the day)

    If you intend on growing it, get a grafted plant. Disease resistance? It has none. Get thine sprayer prepared: the battle will be intense. In most ways it is a typical Hybrid Perpetual when grown in the garden. Its got a nice scent (but hardly remarkable) and it has reasonable vigor when well cared for. Its worth having, in a "museum piece" kind of way. It grows very well for some people and quite poorly for others. You will only find out by trying one for yourself.

    Caveat: there is no way of knowing for sure whether you will receive the correct plant or not. There are literally scores of large deep pink HPs out there, and many of them are distributed under a variety of names. Nobody is even sure that the original plant raised in the US is actually ‘Mme Ferdinand Jamin’! (see Brent Dickerson's comments)

    katyajini thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Ditto EVERYTHING Paul reported. Plus, historically, a large sum of money was paid for this rose to be brought to the US as a florist rose. It proved to be a real dud, so much so, the importer, who was a large floral concern, gathered all of the potted plants over by the boiler to be dumped, then got busy and forgot about them. It was suddenly discovered that the heat from the boilers had pushed them into flower and a legend was born. I've grown several "versions" of it from several sources and they all had a few traits in common, but they weren't all the same rose and none of them had the "deep, live rose shaded smoky carmine" coloring it was famous for. It probably never will unless budded, grown under glass and sprayed within an inch of its life.

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    "...they weren't all the same rose and none of them had the "deep, live rose shaded smoky carmine" coloring it was famous for. It probably never will unless budded, grown under glass and sprayed within an inch of its life."


    And then some.

  • 6 years ago

    Does anyone here know the health of the "child" Climbing American Beauty? It is supposed to rebloom, but is it as susceptible to mildew as its parent, I wonder? It is supposedly identical to Wrams Gunnarstorp, a Swedish found rose that is available from my favourite nursery... I have seen gorgeous photos of it on this blog:

    http://roseneventyr.blogspot.com/2015/07/alan-titchmarsh.html?m=1

    Hope the link works...

  • 6 years ago

    I have two plants of Cl American Beauty (1909), which HMF says is a cross between American Beauty and a wichurana (sp?). When we moved into our house 30 years ago, there were plants of it in three places, climbing on the garage, a fence, and a tree. It is a once blooming climber, but in our climate it puts out so many new canes (which are small in diameter and very flexible), that it produces scattered new blooms for 4-6 months after its first flush, so you could say it "re-blooms". Mine act sort of like a rambler - they like the oldest canes to be cut down, and are constantly producing new ones, as well as new plants, because it tip roots all over, if its long canes hit the ground. Those in my garden get a little black spot when they get older, but no mildew. Astounding strong fragrance. I love it - one of my favorite roses in our garden. Houzz is continuing to refuse to let me post a pic, so I will submit this and try again.


    Jackie



  • 6 years ago



    katyajini thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 6 years ago

    Jacqueline, every year I look forward to seeing your Cl. American Beauty, it’s always gorgeous, like all your roses!

  • 6 years ago

    In Southern California Cl American Beauty was always clean for me and just as easily propagated as Jackie reports. It's the rose found in the San Juan Bautista Cemetery and listed under the name Jose A Africa. https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.193.2 Rebloom will depend upon your climate. It appears to be "rebloom-ier" where there isn't an extreme difference between "spring" and "summer" weather. Where spring suddenly gets hotter than a two dollar pistol, it tends to cease flowering.

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Sara, Paul, Roseseek! maybe this rose is not for me at this time.


    MetteBee, Jacqueline's Cl American Beauty does look like the pictures of Wrams Gunnarstorp !


    I just want to add here I once grew another rose called Parade. I am going to grow it again. It is a huge climber, with huge thorns and with huge flowers of a similar rich, dark pink color. Here is a picture from HMF:


    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.24951


    The roses on my plant were bigger and repeated profusely! Almost no fragrance though:(

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for the beautiful photos and reports on habit and health.

    It looks like I have to own it... Another rose for the looong list I am keeping.

  • 6 years ago

    Parade is stunning! Never heard about it, thank you for introducing it, Katya.

    katyajini thanked MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
  • 6 years ago

    I have read parade might be difficult to get in Europe, unfortunately.Katja I love my parade. I find it quite fragrant.

  • 6 years ago

    Parade is pretty easily found here in Europe, I think.

  • 6 years ago

    That's great. Bart. I must be thinking of another rose or perhaps repeating something from my OLD rose books written when it wasn't easily available! : ))

  • 6 years ago

    I found Parade listed at the rose nursery that I always buy from! It is described as healthy, fragrant and underrated. Definitely on my list now, too. I am going to need a lot more structures in my garden for all the climbers I would like to grow...

    katyajini thanked MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
  • 6 years ago

    I am so glad you found Parade MetteBee. Even though the rose has such an intense dark color there is a watercolor-ness to it rather than a gem like quality. It makes it restful and not overly exciting. Just talking from my memory of it, dont have it in front of me. It gets big, you will love it.


    I know what you mean! I am making a lot of trellises wherever I can imagine that it can work so that I can grow climbers to my hearts content!


    Vap, maybe mine was fragrant. I was so enamored at the time with MIP nothing could compare. Second time around it might be different hopefully! I got mine from at ARE, where did you grt yours?

  • 6 years ago

    Are also. :-)

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    I tried to grow two of them and they both died within a single season :( no luck for me, I found it to be pretty wimpy.

    katyajini thanked Kali C
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Which did you grow? AB, Cl AB or Parade?

  • 6 years ago

    katyanjini - Just regular old American Beauty, I was so disappointed :(

    katyajini thanked Kali C