Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naomi_golden

Are these mixed metals working or not?

Naomi Schultz
4 years ago

We recently renovated our bathroom. We have gray floor and vanity, and white subway shower tiles with an off white wall (Silver Satin from Benjamin Moore). Brushed nickel hardware. After reading a few designer blogs that were in favor of mixing metals, we installed the oil rubbed bronze glass shelves to give some contrast and warmth to the cool palette. I keep staring at them. Should I exchange them for the brushed nickel brackets or do they work? If they do should the shower hook we will install on the opposite wall also be oil rubbed bronze or should it be brushed nickel? Help please.

Comments (30)

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bump

• girl_wonder
    4 years ago

IMO the ORB stands out and attracts attention to itself, vs. the objects d’arte that are on display. I like the suggestion to re-incorporate the warm tones of the lovely floor. Maybe Wood shelves? BTW, are those crystal knobs on the vanity? Maybe make those consistent too. (Or if you want ORB but it on the vanity, since the tone won’t be so different). . I don’t think everything needs to match (and i don’t like when things are too matchy-matchy) but I think it takes a little balance to get all the elements to work together. BTW the room looks warm and inviting. I love the floor and vanity and the tile around the tub looks nice, like they did a good job w/ installation. If it were me, I’d probably introduce some pops of color via towels or ?

• suezbell
    4 years ago

The same color would be preferable but if you must mix metal colors, silver and black would be the way to go.

You might consider painting your shelf supports with Rust-Oleum paint -- the kind that will adhere to either metal or plastic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Silver+colors+of+the+best+rustoleum+spray+paint&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjawYHkz7vlAhWnhOAKHTMiAcwQ_AUIEigC&biw=1328&bih=617#spf=1572151261542

• Manon Floreat
    4 years ago

I think it looks nice! I particularly like the crystal knobs on the vanity. The shower curtain will be closed most of the time. So, upon entry one will see ORB, satin nickle and a bit of bling.

I'd like to see a simple white fabric shower curtain for the tub. Keep the fabric shower curtain outside the tub and liner inside. The only thing that gives me pause is the light fixture shade. The herringbone floor is great! Show as much of it as you can.

Hot Feng Shui Tip: Keep the toilet lid down when not in use.

• silicon74
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

https://www.studio-mcgee.com/search?q=bath

I highly recommend browsing this site and their youtube channel, they do a lot with mixed metals and some of the videos are more "how to." The designer has talked about how to effectively mix metals and style a room.

I like what you have done so far, it just needs to be styled.

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! I actually have a white fabric shower curtain on the way. What would you suggest for the light fixture? I'm also planning to put a couple pictures on the wall..something like in this pic...not sure what else to do?

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe I will think about exchanging for the brushed nickel based on the feedback. I tried several wood shelves and they seemed to clash...the floor is variations of gray so not sure where people are seeing the warm tones? Could be the accuracy of the colors coming through in the picture.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Spend the money for a new counter top, an under mounted sink, and a great widespread faucet in satin nickel, and an upgrade from basic hotel builder style.. If you want floating shelves, they should FLOAT with no brackets. Why is the light to the left of the mirror? Is there another sink? Change the vanity hardware too. Not every bath NEEDS a mix of metals. .........

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is a light on either side of the mirror. New faucet would be pretty. Maybe after my husband forgets how much money we spent I'll bring that up lol. The brackets add some decor I thought. This is the shelf in brushed nickel.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Everything looks very good. I would add just a bit of color. How about fresh new fluffy towels in a green similar to the edge of the glass shelves? (Do you see how the glass edge looks greenish in the photo?)

• suezbell
    4 years ago

I like the silver and black. Would not add a lot of additional colors of metal.

Not sure if this comes in black but (to me) it resembles your existing shelf brackets.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32870189968.html

If you don't want a wall hung paper towel or toilet tissue roll, you might consider adding a free standing holder in either your silver colored finish or black. A stand with a heavier base will be less likely to turn over. A stand with a height intended for paper towels will usually hold two toilet tissue roles.

Because of moisture issues, if you're going to have the paper towel holder standing on your countertop then do choose one the holders with the ball feet to enable air to get beneath the paper towel holder and allow the countertop to dry. You could just set two matching stands on the toilet tank.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3076439/gourmet-basics-camille-paper-towel-holder.jsp?prdPV=6

https://foter.com/decorative-paper-towel-holders

A simple wood cutting board -- wood finish or painted white or black (according to your personal preference) with a half dollar sized dowel attached upright in the middle with a screw will hold your paper towel rolls or t tissue roll(s). A second smaller dowel outside the roll can help keep the loose end from dropping..

If you're considering adding wood, consider bamboo.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000106337010.html?scm=1007.22893.125778.0&pvid=0369a823-3bd6-439e-aaef-9f50e3826b58&onelink_thrd=0.0&onelink_page_from=ITEM_DETAIL&onelink_item_to=4000106337010&onelink_duration=1.012039&onelink_status=noneresult&onelink_item_from=4000106337010&onelink_page_to=ITEM_DETAIL&af=en&cn=cheapexpert.co&cv=post&aff_platform=link-c-tool&cpt=1572190630401&sk=cVED7Axq&aff_trace_key=d5dec0894ac444d2b42a716209adfba1-1572190630401-07555-cVED7Axq&terminal_id=694501a4483a4d2a85c13cf667193847

There are also floor standing t-tissue and/or paper towel holders -- for each individually or together.

https://www.wayfair.com/Better-Living-Products--Free-Standing-Toilet-Paper-Holder-54544-54566-54520-L6143-K~KBW1030.html?refid=GX99081569242-KBW1030_7442645&device=c&ptid=333564061368&network=g&targetid=pla-333564061368&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=6108330&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=7442645&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-IPc8eK85QIVJ4FaBR2OiwAwEAQYBSABEgKhdfD_BwE

• Lars
    4 years ago

I would switch the brackets for brushed nickel - they stand out like a sore thumb to me. I agree with Manon about the toilet seat - I never understood why anyone would photograph a toilet with the lid up.

Keep the crystal pulls - they go nicely with the nickel. I also do not have a problem with keeping the vanity, as the cost to change it is not worth it, unless you hate it as it is. I don't hate it. We changed the vanity in my brother's bathroom, but that's because it had a top that extended over his toilet. I kept the builder's grade vanity in my bathroom, mainly because it is huge and I don't hate it. I don't love it, but I don't think it is worth it to replace it. For me, the problem with replacing it is that I would have to tile the floor under it, and those tiles are no longer available.

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree some things are just not worth it to replace. Note to self - photograph with toilet seat down! lol. Didnt even think about it.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Because I am curious, what is the doohickey on the left side of the bath mat?

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha it's an ORB shower hook I was looking at possibly installing...but now thinking not.

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Real shower curtain. Toilet seat down. Toilet paper removed
  • Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

p

• Christina Ungaro
    4 years ago

I would switch to nickel as well, especially if it's bothering you. The only metal I can get comfortable 'mixing' is perhaps a different door knob. Maybe I'm just too matchy matchy.

• dogsandcats7
    4 years ago

I like the shelf brackets—they pick up the dark in the vanity or if the black bothers you as too stark then spray paint them a charcoal—closer to vanity color-would do rugs more in a tone of the floor. Use a little clear glass, heavy not delicate—container maybe? On shelf or vanity top. Maybe a little art on wall opposite toilet with some color?Pretty bathroom!

• Tony Montana
    4 years ago

I think its fine the way it is. I personally love mixing wood species. I love the way it looks and gives character. if you want a fancier counter top then get one but its not necessary.

• PRO
    Nanke Architecture + Design
    4 years ago

Silver and black is an easy way to mix metals! I think it's good that you broke up having all brushed nickel, the only thing is that the black shelf holders look a little more industrial in contrast to this more feminine bathroom. An easy fix would be to change the knobs on the cabinets to also be a black industrial look.

Overall it's still a nice space without making changes!

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Question for those who like the brackets as is...should the shower hook installed opposite wall also be ORB or brushed nickel?

• My House
    4 years ago

More items and shelves mean more surfaces to disinfect in the bathroom. Do you really want that?

Choose an abstract canvas hung lengthwise (portrait) or two related photos or flat found objects that you can frame, like seafans, or sand dollars, hung over each other in that space instead. Add color or keep it neutral. https://www.drivenbydecor.com/decorating-nature-diy-art-feathers-agate/

The mixed metal, ORB shelving hardware draws attention to itself. It is the the first place for the eye to land upon entering the room and would be nice place to put wall art of some sort. . I expect the dark ORB will require more dusting from TP dust flurries.

• Tony Montana
    4 years ago

@ DK Haas, that exactly what goes through my head when I'm draining my lizard... Look at those brackets on the shelf. I wish there was an art gallery in here because then I'll drop a log.

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I decided to try to work with the shelves. Here's the current decor situation I'm still playing around with hence the stickies holding the pics on the wall. Thought?

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

p.s. that is a real shower curtain I got...it has a shimmery silvery pattern you cant see in the pic.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

I like what you did to decorate the entire bathroom . It looks good ! Did you change the floor or was it as is when you started remodeling . . ?

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! Yes the remodel was floor, subway tile to ceiling and paint. I painted the vanity myself. Light fixtures are the same.

• Naomi Schultz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh we also had recessed lighting installed and a ceiling fan