mstinamichelle

Corner cabinet delimma continued...

MsTinaMichelle S
October 26, 2019
last modified: October 26, 2019

I started a new post. I have the link to my previous post at the end if you care to read it to see how we got here...

Hey guys! Well, I got my revision back from my KD yesterday. I would like your input on it. I removed the fridge from wall 2 (next to the corner) due to spacing issues. I did advise my KD that we could recess the wall for the fridge, but she's right that it still would not get my organizer back and I'd have very little room in that corner anyways. Just too cramped. I believe we are going to recess the fridge on the middle wall though. I don't want it sticking out that far from the cabinets.

I think now that I know the dimensions of the cabinets after this revision, I can always change something out for something I want w/out bothering my KD to switch it out on paper first, right? Because there are a few things I don't like in this draft. So let me go over the things I don't like, so you guys will know beforehand.

Right of DW: 12" standard cupboard base. I won't hear back from my KD till Monday on what this really is and I tried uncle google as well. Would drawers be better (I think it will be less room inside)? Maybe pull out drawers instead? What would I use it for? What about wine boxes instead (don't like them that far from the fridge though)?

Right of fridge: 18" standard cupboard with shelves (I asked KD previously). I'm thinking maybe pull outs here?

Island: 18" pull out. Would you keep it or change it out to something bigger (could be used for utensils and plastic wrap and such)?

Island back: Boxes. Definitely going to change these out. Any ideas here? Maybe one or two for cookbooks, but dump the others? I don't think I like the drawers she chose either.

I did ask her to put lights on each side of the window to kind of give it some character, but you can see why she didn't. Any other options her w/out moving those uppers or making them smaller?

What about the range area? I'm wanting to build a diy hood cover. Think that's going to be ok in this area? She did have it moved over to the right a bit previously, but seems she may have moved it back. I have to look at the prev drafts. Im also going to probably tile this up to or around the hood. What do you think to make this look aesthetically better (even tho Im happy with it).

BTW: This will be an IKEA kitchen if you didn't already know. We cannot move the window. Previous Post

• MsTinaMichelle S

Island leg ideas....

Happy Valley Remodel · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

• MsTinaMichelle S

If you want to know plans for my kitchen ware to assist in those other cabinets, here are my potential plans.

Here is what I will be definitely doing for each drawer that I'm keeping...

Wall 1 (North wall):

Left of range: Spices, cooking oils and the like.

Right of range: Pot holders, placemats, other linens.

Right of DW: NO clue.

Left uppers: Plates, saucers, bowels.

Wall 2 (East corner wall):

Pull out Organizer: Ninja blender, mixing bowels, glass bakeware, etc.

Right of Organizer: I have no clue. Silverware maybe in top drawer?

Uppers: Glassware, cups, water bottes, wine glasses.

Wall 3 (Breakfast/Coffee area):

Above fridge: No clue. Should I even keep this?

Right of fridge: No clue. Possibly other breakfast related items.

3 Drawer base: Coffee cups (I have a collection of them).

On top will be the coffee pot and toaster.

Island:

Side facing North Wall:

Microwave (drawer under wont be used due to plumbing we are disabling).

Double trash pull out w/hidden drawer for trash bags.

18" drawer base: Utensils (not sure if there is a hidden drawer) hand mixer.

30" drawer base: Pots and pans, etc.

Back side of Island:

18: drawers: no clue. Less used items. Don't especially like this particular drawer base.

Boxes: They got to go or I could leave one or two for cookbooks.

Here's what I have left to store.

Kitchen aide Mixer

Plastic containers, lunch boxes, plastic pitchers.

Baking pans/pie pans (8", 9", 10"x10", 12"x12" and some shaped ones that are stored elsewhere)

bread maker, electric pressure cooker, air fryer

toaster oven (will prob get rid of this)

Flat pancake grill (don't use it much anymore, but need to start using it)

Dine-in kitchen delimma

For your corner kitchen eating area you should consider building an L shaped seating area (with underneath storage). This looks like it would be perfect for the space. Have the bench meet at the end of the window mouldings on either side of the windows. Buy a round pedestal table to put there with one or side chairs. You can put a stopper on the door so that it does not hit the table or windowhttps://www.google.ca/search?q=images+L+shaped+window+seat+pedestal+table+kitchen&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi82MaTiZTLAhVG2WMKHbWvAB4QsAQIGw&biw=1536&bih=739#imgrc=Z928xTtPxEglHM%3A See the link below.

Dine-in kitchen delimma

Thanks so much for all the great ideas! Unfortunately it's too late to move out alter the door. My fault entirely -- it didn't even dawn on me that it would be a problem until it was too late. To reverse the swing might be in the cards down the road once we save to extend and put a roof on the back porch. Obviously we don't want to have a door opening outwards with no cover from the elements.

How to protect new cabinets during continued construction?

I realize nobody replied, but wanted to share that we found a solution. Our contractor had rolls of plastic lined corrigated cardboard from another job. We taped it up on the bas cabs. we also retained the cardboard corner protectors from our dishwasher packaging and taped them up to highly exposed corners. Here are pics.

Side table at front door delimma

Oh good for you Flower! With the niches and shelves it's as if you already have all the "furniture" you need in the foyer. Do get yourself a pretty rug about 3 x 5- as wide as the double doors. It defines the space and will protect your tile. Also not a lightweight one. Get one you can vacuum! This one might get him to where you want him to go....!
  • MsTinaMichelle S

I had thought about trimming out the window to make it not look so plain in that area. Im not sure if it will make it look smaller than it is or bigger. Thought about lights on the side (like previously stated), but no room. My current window is about 36" tall and 26" wide. It's recessed and the 12" ledge is on the kitchen side. Bullnose around the window. Probably like a craftsman style trim. Will this help with not making the window look so small, especially when I get my 40" tall cabinets in?

NOT my window. This one is much nicer. lol

• bens bride

Do you have a 2D that you can post?

• MsTinaMichelle S

Bens Bride - These are the only photos I have left. Hope you can see them as I’m on mobile and not my computer.

• remodeling1840

As to your question about the storage over the fridge: in my last house I had a cabinet the full width and depth of the fridge. It was invaluable space. The fixed shelf inside was half the depth of the cabins so I could store taller serving items. It was 9 square feet of storage, six on the bottom, three on the shelf. All my Christmas dishes, glasses, serving pieces, servers were there in the kitchen ready for the day after Thanksgiving switch out. You could use yours for those appliances you use once a week or once a month. Yes, I needed a step stool, but everything was in the kitchen, not in a closet in another room or in the basement where most people store seldom used kitchen things.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked remodeling1840
  • remodeling1840

Light and heat are the enemies of wine. Wine belongs in a closed area. Those open boxes are dust magnets. Two drawers instead would be very useful for storage. I don’t know how long you have been cooking or if anyone else in your family cooks, but my DH cannot pass up a Williams Sonoma so I always need additional storage potential! I don’t like the trend of fewer upper cabinets. Personally I think the hood looks lonely and needs cabinets on either side. I have no corner cabinet in my newly remodeled kitchen, preferring to have two three-drawer butted in the corner. DH has back issues and we found things always stay lost and are hard to access in a lazy Susan. We don’t miss the corner at all. I think we often only plan for storage for “what I have right now” instead of “what will my needs be in three years”. I have three drawers next to the sink: top is linens and rolls of plastic wrap and foil and Zip Lock bags. The second holds lidded containers for leftovers. The third holds my colanders and the water bottles. In other words, everything for cleanup after dinner or everything that will be wet-use. In the cupboards beside my hood are all the mixing bowls and serving bowls I use when cooking. They are at eye level so I can direct anyone helping me, the most used are on the bottom shelf.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked remodeling1840
  • emilyam819

I have a 12” cabinet and it’s one of my favorites. Make it a tray cabinet. https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/revashelf-organizers-kitchen-organizers-RV59610CR-p38431?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7RvuOXJQDnksjF0UI5WPTx51fVrg28jWZVTNwKqbEKyHNFa0KEmWKywaAp3VEALw_wcB

I actually have 2, one on the cabinet bottom and one on the shelf.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked emilyam819
  • bens bride

Move the microwave to the right of the the fridge. The corner where she has the microwave is prime real estate and I can't think of any reason why the microwave needs to be near the sink.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bens bride
  • emilyam819

^ I agree. And I’d put upper cabinets instead of shelves. The ref cabinet looks so tall next to the shelves.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked emilyam819
  • cd7733

I read your original post and you mentioned not wanting uppers beside your hood since you felt it looked cluttered, but I feel it looks bare and unbalanced. I know opinions vary but with the uppers around the hood, the kitchen looks finished to me.

• lizziesma

I believe you could store so much more in a cabinet versus shelves shown to the right of fridge.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked lizziesma
  • cd7733

I think the microwave is in a good location. Moving it beside the fridge would limit prep area for microwaving to the small counter. Where it's located now leaves the island as a large prep area for plates and leftover containers.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked cd7733
  • bens bride

I went back and looked at old posts. I tried to look at your space with fresh eyes. have you thought about adding a narrow wall between family room and kitchen for your fridge? I'll try to post some images to explain...

Looks like the images posted. My reasoning here is that you have a clear path around your work zones, the island still has a bit of a barrier problem, but maybe not as bad. You aren't crowding out a proper dining area (killing dining rooms is one of my top five pet peeves) while achieving the minimum 5 feet recommended between island seating and table seating.

If you want to play around with this idea in the Ikea planner, here's a link to what I did so you don't have to recreate. https://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI/Pages/VPUI.htm?LoadDesign=c28b3da8ac3d431ab434fd0cba7eb2dd&UIContext=SE_Menu&IsSharedDesign=1&Entry=Kitchen

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bens bride
  • wilson853

We keep the big pack of Costco paper towels above the refrigerator.. I would not want to store anything too heavy up there for fear of falling or dropping something against the front of the refrigerator. Think of the range area as your cockpit and put items that you will need most often within arms reach beside and behind you. That's critical real estate so I'd move the placemats and linens elsewhere and put the dish towels on the other side of the sink. Lunch boxes, wraps, storage containers, and bread work well next to the refrigerator for packing lunches and wrapping leftovers so I'd make that all drawers. If space permits you could also store the toaster in a drawer. The sink and range aisle will be busy so the MW might be better if it is centrally located on the short end of the island so that it is out of everyone's way but still close to the refrigerator. Since you want to get rid of the cubbies I'd store the small appliances on shelves behind doors. It is a sturdy solution and it is very easy to reach in and grab what you need.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked wilson853
  • MsTinaMichelle S

emilyan819 - I thought about this, but my inlaws have a smaller one and baking sheets always got caught onto each other and I could never pull them out w/out a fight. So I said I'll never have one. Now looking at the one you posted, I think this may have changed my mind. However, I think I'll see if they have a pull out one. :)

bens bride - At one pt the microwave was on that middle wall as it made sense due to it being a coffee/breakfast area. However, now that the fridge is there, I won't be left with much as I'll need 30" box. I could consider moving it close to the fridge by putting it in the area right of the two chairs where the boxes are.

cd7733 - I agree that it does look better, but I have an idea for that wall. I'll post that soon. One of my drafts did have the cabinets next to the hood. Many posted they were too close to the hood. I think I had the idea of having shelves instead (That's why the cabinets are gone), but others said no as grease and dust will make that a hard cleanup (I'm sure that will happen with cabinets too so I don't see the difference). I also plan to build my own hood cover, so there will be even less room for those cabinets I'm guessing.

emilyan819 & lilzziesma - I'd rather have shelves than the uppers. I want it to feel open. Orig it was to be a full coffee/breakfast area w/pretty tile or whatever behind it and the base be a different color than the rest of the cabinets. I'm disappointed that I can't have that, but there was no other place to put the fridge. Right now my fridge is where my future range will be, but if I put it back, where would my range go. I don't have many choices w/this layout. There were to be 3 shelves here and that may make a difference. I'm not sure if I am keeping that big fridge cabinet yet.

bens bride - No, that thought never crossed my mind. Its because my whole kitchen and living area is all open concept and I love the open concept. My ceiling is vaulted and on the Southside of my kitchen (where you put the kitchen table) is a laundry room, a wire room, a bathroom and a hall that leads to the bedrooms. Above that is a game room area that overlooks the living and kitchen areas that is also open concept. I have thought about putting the fridge against the wall that is next to the range (like to the south of it), but that just seems weird. Thought about putting the range there as well. This way I'd be looking into the living area and my fridge can stay left of the window. I haven't messed w/the idea but have thought about it. When its all said and done, I don't think my table will fit in the area where you have placed the table (although that's where I had intended to put it). That boxed wall next to the range is an air return wall and left of that are french doors. So my table options were in front of the coffee area right of the island or in front of the french doors.

• bgs990

There are times when it makes sense to close up a window...does this call for one of those times to get a better layout? We closed a window in a bathroom using a "false window", insulation, then drywall. From the outside it looked like a dark room or frosted glass. Then you could put the sink in the island and center the range to get more uppers and more balance. I saw an episode by Sarah Richardson where they closed a window to get a better layout in a kitchen. Just a thought.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bgs990
  • bens bride

Why do you need a 30" cab for the microwave? Is that the spec for a mw drawer? My MW is in a 24" base.

• MsTinaMichelle S

bens bride - I was told on one of my prev posts that a 24" won't work as my MW will be crowded and good luck finding one to fit. It might have been due to the plug aspect and the mw both being in that base. My current MW is 24" right now. We just purchased it about a month ago. There is still an opportunity to sell it and get a new one as my hubby got white when I asked for black (he just has a way of find stuff on the cheap and has to get what is avail), but we are liking the bigger microwave. I haven't looked into MW sizes though. Unsure of the specs. I think this is it though. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/sektion-base-cabinet-for-microwave-1-drawer-white-maximera-axstad-matt-white-s39288784/

• MsTinaMichelle S

I'm going to address four things here that I feel are loose ends. I don't want to keep going back to my KD w/revisions. I only paid for 3 (the orig one sucked), but I'm getting more because she screwed up on the east corner wall measurements. She said she'll work w/me till I have the kitchen the way I want, but I don't want to take advantage. Plus, it takes 3 days to get anything back (the day I send revision info is not day 1). I think she sits on it till day 3, works on it and send it to me right before leaving the office. I hate the wait. That's why I prev said, if any boxes needed to be changed out, I don't think I need her to change it on my drafts as long as the size is the same and the door fronts don't change. Here are the 4 things... 1) the island boxes, 2) The range/hood, 3) cabinet sizes and 4) the island legs.

Island boxes: I think it would be better to have the drawers next to the chairs, keep two boxes for cookbooks add the smaller wine boxes on the corner to be closer to the fridge. Its darker over in that area, so I think the wine will be fine. The microwave could be an option to move here to be closer to the fridge. I do need a 30" box though. I guess the cookbook boxes could be moved to the other side. The only thing I need to be careful of is the existing plumbing in the island. There are two pvc pipes to be cut down (one was for water drain and the other for downdraft of stovetop) and water pipes. Since we won't be using either, we are cutting them down and blocking them off. I'm not even sure at this point how much they will be cut down or if there will be cabinet interference. I need to look into the size of that MW cabinet box. I know we will probably need to cut into the cabinet boxes to make things fit here, but I'm hoping not. The plumbing is on the corner where the MW is now in the drafts (hoping this will be hidden under the MW box).

Range Hood: So my idea since I removed the two upper cabinets was to make that wall stand out w/the tile I add there (or shelves if I decide to go that route). I am doing a DIY range hood. I am not sure what it will actually look like, but I've included some photos of what I'm liking so far. Then I planned to tile it up around the hood and possibly to the ceiling or just to the top or bottom of the hood. If I go up, maybe tile up around the top of the window. I do think my KD had swapped the 18" and 24" drawers to shift the range and hood to the right at one time. I'm just not finding that draft, but I think it will work either way. I do know some have commented on it not being centered. I've included photos of the ideas I'm liking. Maybe not as dramatic as some photos Im posting, but you get the idea Im heading for to make that range/hood stand out and to bring life to that wall.

Cabinet sizes: Does anyone see any cabinet sizes that don't make sense? In my kitchen now, I have a 15" drawer front w/the 12" drawer space. That is my least fav drawer as I have my cutting mats and other useless things that get stuck in there sometimes. So the 18" that I have on the island will have only 15" inside, correct? So that seems to be good for utensils, cutting mats, and maybe the handheld mixer. Where should my Kitchenaid go (its currently on the cabinet top East corner)?

Island legs: So on the end of the island, I just need to be sure that between the legs I need to have at least 42" to have enough elbow room for two chairs, right? My KD has the 42" going from outside leg to outside leg.

Potential Hood...

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

Kitchen Backsplash Ideas.

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

(26) Pinterest · More Info

This one goes from dark to light.

11 Beautiful Kitchen Backsplashes That Will Wow Your Guests – Mercury Mosaics · More Info

• bens bride

When I saw that I figured you'd only seat one person on the end in real life. For two chairs pinned between legs you need an absolute minimum of 48 inches, but if you want people to actually sit there, I'd say 60 inches so they can get their legs in and out. You can try testing this out if you have some stools. There's no way two grown people will sit on two stools within 42"

• MsTinaMichelle S

bens bride - Nope, I hope to fit two in real life. I don't have stools, but I do have 17" chairs. I have the island drawn out on my kitchen floor w/tape so I could get a visual. The 17" chairs fit in the area well, however, my measurements are 48" from end to end (she has 50"). The cabinets are 24" deep x 2, so 48". So yeah I do understand how even my 48" won't work with maybe 6" x 6" chunky legs. I can see now in looking back at her drawings, her 2D is showing a 24" and 15", plus 9" space in between cabinets. So yes, I agree w/your 60". I'll have her correct that.

• bens bride

Just note that by having less than about 11 feet between the counter overhang and your laundry room wall, you're eliminating any possibility of a an area large enough for a comfortable dining space there.

• MsTinaMichelle S

yeah, I realized that when I started to draw out my island on the floor. In the second draft, she had all the chairs on one side and it was 61" wide. Once I started drawing it out on my floor, I felt that it was too wide. It was running into the area where I marked my table carpet. That's kinda why I made it skinnier and longer. But it's ok if my table doesn't end up there. I have a big area just West of the island. Back to the drawing board. lol Oh, and I'm sure I was thinking about the expense of such a big countertop and being able to reach across and clean it as well.

• bens bride

Have you thought about a plan that moves your hall/pantry configuration and puts your kitchen on the long wall? Like an open galley with large island.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bens bride
  • MsTinaMichelle S

No, but on the first draft, she did have my island longways like that. I didn't like it at all. It is an idea and could maybe have been a consideration if we were just beginning this project. At this point, I don't want to make drastic changes and it would be very drastic. I just want her to make the last minimal changes so I can take the draft and order my cabinets.

• bens bride

Well that layout of hers sucks anyway. How the H E double hockey sticks was she planning to vent that hood. Haha.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bens bride
  • MsTinaMichelle S

As far as the island goes, I didn’t want my chairs in a straight line because you can’t see and have convos with people or play games. So I thought having 2 chairs on each side wound be a better alternative. Guess I better look into the expense of the cabinet top as that could get me to change my mind.

• ulisdone

I think the 21” upper cabinets are too wide visually, and also a 21” door is rather in - your- face when open. Remember these are 16” deep with doors. And 18” or even 15” doors are a more pleasing shape, and uppers are best kept the same size for aesthetic reasons. Also glass doors are available in these sizes.

Upper cabinets to the left of the sink would also crowd you, as that is your prep area. So I think you are right to leave the wall open, with maybe a shelf or two.

You have a lot of larger small appliances so maybe a high pantry cabinet is needed.

And bens bride is correct in that 2 people in 50” trapped is not workable.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked ulisdone
  • MsTinaMichelle S

Ulisdone - That is certainly one thing I didn’t take in account and you’re the first one to mention door size. Our current kitchen is like Heinz 57 when it comes to cabinets (one reason behind the Reno). We have temp uppers that are 24” and yes, they are in-your-face when open. Then we have temp uppers that are 17” when open (custom made/belonged to my bil). They are certainly much better when open than the other cabinet. Thanks for the heads up.

• MsTinaMichelle S

bens bride - Yeah, I was disappointed when I got that draft. I can't imagine trying to hang that from my 20' ceiling lol Its so much better than when it started. I am happier now, but still trying to decide on a few base cabinets and if I should go with uppers that are less than 21" as Ulisdone mentioned to be aware of the door width when opening. We have 24" now and they are a pain, and the 17" we have are much better. So 21" might not be so bad.

• bens bride

We had Ikea 24" wide doors in our last home and I wouldn't do that again, however, if you're trying to use all one size or trying to fit a certain space, sometimes the only option is 21".

MsTinaMichelle S thanked bens bride
  • Maria M.

I would move the open shelving to the range/sink wall and have upper cabinets (or tall pantry cabinets) to the right of the fridge.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked Maria M.
  • Cloud Swift

It sounds like being able to have two chairs on the end of the aisle will squeeze the space for a table. A table already supplies a space where people can sit to have a conversation or play games. Most of the time, people sit at our island so they can watch and have a conversation with someone who is cooking in the kitchen. Consider just having 3 chairs (2 at the side and one at the end) around the island) instead of trying to squeeze 4 in. Or if you feel you must have 4, consider giving up on having legs by having hidden support under the island top. Our 15" overhang is supported by steel bars embedded in the plywood subtop.

Have you thought about how unloading the dishwasher is going to work with that layout? Dishes and glasses are going into the wall cabinets, but with the dishwasher open, 12" isn't enough room for someone to stand while unloading so the uppers will be a very long reach over the open dishwasher door. You may end up having to unload in to steps - dishwasher to counter then close the dishwasher and put things in the cabinet. If you gave up on centering the sink under the window, you could put the 12" to the left of the stove and put a 24 " base to the right of the dishwasher. Even that is tight spacing for standing next to it and unloading. Another option would be to put the dishwasher between the range and the sink.

Here are some ideas on what can be done with a 12" cabinet. We use one with two pull-out shelves for storing bottled items (oils, vinegar, etc.). It holds quite a lot.

Another has all our half sheet pans, cookie sheets and cooling racks in the bottom with a pull out shelf holding baking pans above:

Cabinets can face the side of the island - they don't have to face just to the front or the back. We have a 24" microwave in a 24" cabinet and it's plenty big enough. You could put a 24" microwave in a cabinet on the end of the island (across the aisle from the fridge - a convenient spot for heating-up stuff taken out of the fridge and out of the way of someone working at the sink/dishwasher. The cabinet on the corner of the back of the island could also face that direction making access closer to the working area of the kitchen. If you still want to keep the microwave cabinet 30", that could be an 18" wide cabinet for a 48" deep island.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked Cloud Swift
  • MsTinaMichelle S

Talked to my KD and this is what she had to say about the DW spacing and cabinet size. What does everyone think?

Question going from 21” upper cabinets to 18”. “Yes we can, this would reduce the wall cabinet run on the window area, leaving 14 ¾” to the window (right now, there are 8 ¾”). And on the small wall, we would have to leave a bigger filler so the end of the wall cabinets still align with the end of the base cabinets.”

DW question: “I personally don’t think is too close, but if you don’t feel comfortable you have two options:

· Reduce the DW to 18” – that would increase the base cabinet to the right of the dishwasher from 12” to 18”
    · Reduce the sink base to 30” – that would increase the base cabinet to the right of the dishwasher from 12” to 15”, and the base cabinet to the left of the cooktop from 18” to 21” (this is to keep the sink centered under the window)… please note though, for 21”W cabinets there are only two options: 1) cupboard with door and internal roll-out drawers, or 2) cupboard with door and internal shelves.”

• MsTinaMichelle S

No takers, eh?

I sent my KD some questions today...

I asked about the measurement from the hood to the window. I wanted to get an idea of the distance on each side of the window. Maybe I can put some open shelves there or lights on each side? I did see one with a long open shelf over the windows I thought was cool.

I did tell my KD that I didn’t like the pull out that she put right of the dw. I told her I’d rather leave it a door, then add my own pull out for baking pans or something. Wonder if I can add my kitchen aide here? Just grasping for ideas.

My sink base right now is 30”. The sink top is 33”. I plan to go with an under-mount. So would a 30” or 36” be the better size? I’m not sure why the different sizes other than more room under the cabinet. Pros or cons?

The cabinet next to the fridge is a base with shelves. I wanted drawers. So the drawers on the right would be for coffee cups (I have a collection of them). The one next to the fridge I’m not sure of atm. Did I tell her possibly storage for my plastic food containers, lunch boxes and such? Putting the plastic food containers on the island is an option too. They could go on either side. My table will most likely be west of the Island/stove in front of my French doors (stove wall is North).

This will officially be my first real kitchen and first Island ever. I’m trying my very best to think of where I can put what I already have. Also, I’m trying to run it through my head possible actions in accessing tools and containers based on current habits. If food is on the North table and containers are on the East wall, how would that be functional? Would it really matter? I guess I could remove food serving dishes and place them on the island to put food into containers, then place them in the fridge. It seems odd that IKEA would have an 18” and 24” drawer base, but not a 21” drawer base.

• MsTinaMichelle S

This storage drawer will probably be my option (last photo). I know IKEA doesn’t have that pull out above. I seem to like this idea better as it not so bulky. Included the kitchen aide thing I was referring to. Second one is the pull out my KD said ikea has for the 12” base or one with shelves. Ideas for the 12” instead of that base below.

Can this go into a 12" base?

The base my KD has in there now. Im thinking I should switch this out to a door w/shelves. Then I can remove the shelves and add a pullout for the bakeware as shown on the photo below this one.

I think this would be a better opton either on the fridge wall or on the island near the fridge.

• MsTinaMichelle S

Ok. Got some responses back from the KD.

1) What happens if we make all upper cabinets w/18" fronts instead of 21"? We currently have one wall cabinet that is 24" and its a pain in the butt to deal with. We also have an 18" wall cabinet. It doesn't get in the way, you don't have to stand back to open it and it doesn't hit you on the head while putting things in it. "Yes we can, this would reduce the wall cabinet run on the window area, leaving 14 ¾” to the window (right now, there are 8 ¾”). And on the small wall, we would have to leave a bigger filler so the end of the wall cabinets still align with the end of the base cabinets."

*What are the measurements to the left of the window?

"Currently, there are 28 5/8” from the hood to the left of the window."

6) Is the range centered as I requested before? Im not looking at past drafts, but it seemed like there was an issue w/centering the range. I just didn't know if it was put back after moving the dw back to its place. Not a big deal necessarily as I think it was good either way, but I'm trying to decide how I want the backsplash incorporated here. Like going just up to the bottom of the hood or going up straight past it or going around it like the hood shape. I plan to do a diy hood and I'm not sure how that's going to look if off-centered or if it will make a difference. "No, it’s slightly off-centered to the left. It can’t be perfectly centered if you want to use standard cabinets and avoid the use of fillers. It’s either slightly off centered to the left or to the right. We off centered it to the left to allow 24” of counter space between the range and the sink (this is the minimum recommended)."

• wilson853

Interior of this lid drawer is 17" wide. These lids nest tightly so I find that it is easy to peel one from the top of the stack when they are stored flat. If your container stacks aren't too high a hidden drawer above the containers could possibly work rather than investing in a specific storage pullout.

MsTinaMichelle S thanked wilson853
  • f1241

When we remodeled our kitchen, we put deep drawers on the lower instead of cabinets. I love them. Great for pots and pans, crockpot, large appliances.