Software
Houzz Logo Print
tookien

This poor sad looking house needs help.

6 years ago

My husband and I just purchased this home and we are trying to decide how to make it more attractive from the outside. He will not consider painting brick. Any other ideas on how we could make it a little less sad looking?

Comments (15)

  • 6 years ago

    Really need to paint that brick... but if not possible paint the windows And trim around the windows they need to match

  • 6 years ago

    Does the roof need replacing? From the picture it looks as though the shingles are curled. If so, you should replace the roof first as that will dictate the colors that you should use.

    I agree with the others that new landscaping will be a big help. As well you should consider adding outside lighting. Good luck.

  • 6 years ago

    I can't tell if there's a walkway along the house from the garage doors to the front entrance. If not I'd start with that (for guests). And ditto to adding color with flowering shrubs and planters and exterior lighting. I like a ranch home and yours has wonderful trees too. Enjoy it!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    A good pressure washing would freshen things up: brick, roof, porch, path, and driveway. Hiring a seasoned professional will help insure mortar or shingles aren't damaged in the process. Maybe tree trimming, too, to let more sun through the canopy.

    I bet in the spring it won't seem so "sad." Your fall leaves are beautiful! (I'm in south Texas; we skip fall, lol.)

  • 6 years ago

    After powerwashing bricks and concrete (avoid damage by using a pro), repaint the dark brown eaves in a light cream color. Use the same cream color on the shutters and window trim. Here is a dark-walled house with light paint on the eaves (and extra lighting).


    Stony Point · More Info



    Prune the trees lightly and selectively to let in more light to the yard. Consult a garden center or check online for the right time of year for pruning in your zone.

    While you are thinking about a new landscape plan for the long term, you could buy a few dozen or a hundred bright yellow daffodil bulbs to plant this fall along the walkway or along the front of the house. You'll need a lot of bulbs- the bags of 50 are often great bargains at nurseries and home centers.


    Serpentine Woodland Wall amongst daffodils · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    The roof is a 50 year metal made to look like thick shakes. Windows are white vinyl. Window trim is brown metal. Fascia is enameled brown metal. I agree with power washing and bright landscaping! I will hire a pro as y’all suggested. Hubby doesn’t want to paint. Says he wants to maintain zero maintenance. Thanks for the suggestions

  • 6 years ago

    If you take apple_pie_order’s suggestion of bulbs I recommend investing in a bulb auger for your power drill. I got mine for around $15 at Lowe’s and it eats up a ton of drill battery (would be easier with a corded drill) but it makes planting a breeze. We knocked out 75 bulbs in about 90 minutes, and that included raking away mulch and reraking it Into place when we were done planting.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    white wash the brick - will tranform the whole house!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Change the columns. They are dragging the house down. Someone else might know how to do this, but they could make your sight move upward instead of downward. This should make it less droopy-looking.


    It might be even better if you took the porch off and start fresh with a different porch concept.


    I'm hopeless at drawing, so I can't put my concept to paper....

  • 6 years ago

    You certainly have bought yourselves a project. I hope the floor plan is great and the kitchen is good.
    If Hubby won’t agree to paint the brick body if the house, perhaps he will agree to paint the columns white. Also paint all the window trim the same white, and add white wood furniture on the front porch. Maybe paint the garage doors white.
    Hire a landscape architect to design a beautiful woodland garden of ferns and other shade-tolerant plants in the tree area, and bulbs and azaleas along the edge of the tree zone. Low stone walls and new walkways would direct guests toward the front porch and door. It can be beautiful.

  • 6 years ago

    Totally agree with @felizlady. Update the columns even if it means painting them, paint the front door and garage doors, and add some landscaping with a mix of evergreens and bright colors. For little $, you’ll achieve an amazing transformation.

  • 6 years ago

    Landscaping should also address the walkway and approach to the hoise

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    The brown trim with the almond windows just looks disconnected. Vinyl is tricky to paint- the aluminum trim is easy to paint. I would paint our all the trim the almond color so all of the trim is one color, power wash everything, then invest in great landscaping. I promise your husband that the aluminum will hold the paint great, it won’t be added maintenance once it’s done.

  • 6 years ago

    Following