Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veronica_hardgrave

Samsung Frame tv at eye level?

Plan on getting a Samsung Frame tv and we prefer to put it at eye level for tv viewing, however, when the tv is off and on “art mode” that means the art will be at eye level as well. Is this ok?

Here is a pic of the space. Disregard the joke tape as we were previously going to hang a mirror or real art there.

Comments (24)

• NYCish
    4 years ago

I think the height is nice. What are you planning to place below it? To run with the art theme, you could put a not too deep console table underneath (similar in style to your coffee table, room and board ames a nice one) and style it as you would a console table. We have a Frame waiting to be install as well; we are really excited about it. Don't forget to do a wall cutout in the drywall for the box required for the Frame.

• Veronica Hardgrave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I forgot to add that we will add a low console table below. The coffee table we have now is actually from Room and Board.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

I thought I recognized it. I’m actually eyeing the same one!

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

I saw one of these TVs at Lowes and it its thin frame really does make it look like a picture frame. For this reason, I believe hanging it low will look silly (i.e., "Why do you think they hang that picture so low?"). I'd either buy a conventional flat-screen TV and put it on the console table, or use a wall unit (for the TV, books, CDs, speakers, etc.) or shelving or something in which you place the TV at the height you want to view it.

-- amateur

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

What size is the television?

• NYCish
    4 years ago

Another question: the blue tape off is where you plan to hang it, no? That is at the same level as all of the other art in your room so I don’t see how it will look silly. I can’t tell what you mean by “eye level”.

If it’s not where you plan to hang it, tape off where you will and post a new pic

• Veronica Hardgrave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m not sure about the size yet. I tried to edit my post and put a new pic without the blue tape but Houzz is glitchy and I couldn’t.

The blue tape is where I was previously going to hang a mirror but changed my mind. By eye level I mean the tv will be at eye level while sitting. Here is a photoshopped photo.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

Since the TV is meant to look like artwork I think it’s going to look strange mounted 42” off the floor, since artwork is typically hung 57-60” off the floor. The only way I could see it working would be if you made the TV part of a larger gallery wall l, but that’s not an option in this particular space.

• Veronica Hardgrave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This pic didn’t look so bad to me but not sure the lower level will work in this space. I think we’ll still be comfortable if we hang the tv a bit higher

• Veronica Hardgrave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops I forgot to attach pic

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Click picture to enlarge:

• Veronica Hardgrave
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Fun2BHere, super helpful!!!

• Susan L
    4 years ago

KR, did you put the One Connect cable in the wall? I was told it was not in wall rated by Best Buy, so I would have to have the "invisible" cable visible.

• Ephma
    4 years ago

I’m not KR, but we have the Frame and we have our One Connect cable in the wall (over the fireplace no less). We hired a company that installed it for us.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

@susan I’m not KR either. But our AV installers are doing are frame for us; they have built a recessed box in between studs and dry walled said box so it’s not sitting on insulation (it isn’t covered by drywall however, so it isn’t “in the wall”, just a recessed place for the one connect to sit)

• K R
    4 years ago

Yes, there’s a closet on the other side so my guy just ran it through and put the one box and cable box in there. Works great.

• Susan L
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the responses and ideas to make this work. I've also found one connect cables that are in wall rated but they are expensive.

Ephma, where do you have the one connect box? I'm planning for over the fireplace but need to find out if the direct gas fireplace would cause a problem. Do you know if your installers put a chase or conduit for the cable to go through?

• Ephma
    4 years ago

I have a closet next to the fireplace that the one connect box lives in. I have no clue what the installers did, but the fireplace was already set up for cable/Ethernet so it’s possible they used some of that setup that was already running into the closet.

• S H
    last year

Art work should be hung so that the center of the painting is at your eye level when standing. TV is usually best so that center of TV is at eye level. Doesn’t have to be exact…and of course eye level varies for people of various heights. How far away you are sitting plays into the equation too. I’ve seen designers recommend hanging art or TV 6-8” above console. Split the difference and hang it somewhere between seated and standing eye level and ENJOY!

• HU-386790086
    last year

I just went through the same thought process. There is a difference, tvs should be at eye level when sitting, art should be at eye level when standing. If you look up the average eye level for a 65" TV the center of it should probably be about 41" from the ground. If it were a painting the center of it should be at 57". So it's 16" different. I just mounted one and I decided to optimize for TV watching not art. Partly that's because I previously had a TV mounted high enough to be out of range for kitty cats and it was pretty stratospheric. Uncomfortable to watch to be honest. So anyway. To balance the Frame TV on the wall I will need other art work. Right now the TV is alone on the wall and it looks wrong when it's in art mode and you walk by it. It doesn't look that bad though. To be honest this is one of those decisions where you probably win either way. It won't be that uncomfortable to watch if you mount it at art level. And it won't look that bad if you mount it at TV level.

• Melissa L
    last year

Put the TV at eye-level and make it into a gallery wall—or put some really wild fabric or wallpaper behind it.

• Brian8416
    last year

Hi Veronica, did you end up adding a low console? If so, what dimensions did you go with and how do they relate to the TV and wall sizes? I have what looks to be similar size constraints (a 55" Frame TV on an 82" interior wall), and I'm trying to decide on a console width that will best support the TV without looking cramped on the narrow wall.

• Denis Okalani
    last year

While it may be aesthetically pleasing to have the Samsung Frame TV and art at the same eye level, it may not be practical for optimal viewing. Consider mounting the TV slightly higher for comfortable TV watching and keeping the art at eye level in "Art Mode." Ultimately, it's up to personal preference and what works best for your space.