Software
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Accent recommendations requested.

2 months ago

Hi, from a pandemic gut home renovation, it has taken me 5 years to finally get my home here and I would like to humbly request recommendations for accent pieces- I’m all out of ideas.



Any and all advice woudl be appreciated. Thanks!





Comments (39)

  • 2 months ago

    This is beautiful! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! 😍

  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    ^^^

    I think you already know how to do this and yes to DIS rendering.!

    It's warm, it isn't cluttered, it has texture.! Hard, soft.....crunchy....smooth, etc



    A couple really great toss pillows, a throw. Me? I might find a new home in your home for the crystal lamps, and look for a bit warmer version bit more organic....I'd be done in less than a week after a beautiful five year journey?

    Call it play time! and do you.



  • 2 months ago

    @JAN MOYER and @Celery. Visualization, Rendering images thank you! Thanks for helping me close this chapter!


    By chance, do either of you have recs for my dinner table or buffet? Those are my last 2 gaps.

  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago



    You don't need "recs" as much as a confidence pill!?

    First? Lower the art, over the console, with the bottom no more than eight inches above the console.

    The sconces are a bit of a disappearing act: ) Do you need them? and if you do? Maybe a something slightly bolder and more substantial.

    Take all the small doo dads away , Add some wood element left of the art....Could be a lamp, but I can't tell what's there, Go closer please and give us another shot!

    Something about this ,,,reminded me of a stool question ages ago...?

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6130069/i-need-help-locating-these-chairs-and-dining-stools

    You have tons of posts, get down to and STAY in this one!! : )

    Resist the urge to "match: and get more mix. Now, go get a hammer and lower that art and come back !

    rfharmon thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    It seems the table top leans pink and that looks off in the room.


  • 2 months ago

    @BeverlyFLADeziner thanks for your input. Sadly, the table is non-refundable and is the most expensive item in the house so I hope its not too much if an eyesore. its grey oak and grey marble. Adding close up pictures, here.



  • PRO
    2 months ago

    The only thing that needs to be done is all your art needs to be lowered. It is too high.

    rfharmon thanked Design Interior South
  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    @JAN MOYER you hit the hammer on the head… im healing from betrayal trauma and my confidence is shot… do you know where to snag a pill? I’d gladly took one at this point… lol, but seriously. i hear you saying that i should trust myself and i’m working on it.


    Below is the picture that you requested. Please let me know if you like this scones more than mine… sadly, I need sconces there because there are holes in my wall.





  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    I also have 2 brass sconces from z gallery that i never used that I was about to give away but they take candles. one pictured here:



    but, looking at the website. I could also put these near my entry wall… as long as its okay to mix black and brass metals? Here.



  • 2 months ago

    I think you need a rug under the dining table. There are many hard surfaces and something “warm” will help.

    I would look for sconces that relate to the fantastic chandelier, but don’t compete.

    rfharmon thanked RedRyder
  • 2 months ago

    A rug option for under the table.

    rfharmon thanked RedRyder
  • 2 months ago

    More ideas. All on Etsy.

    rfharmon thanked RedRyder
  • 2 months ago

    Instead of a rug under the table I suggest a colorful runner on the buffet. you could pull colors from it for placemats on the table.

    rfharmon thanked Yvonne Martin
  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago



    Okay......I was on the phone doing this......^^ :, so if not great that explains it!

    You can do it!! Do your own thing.

    Design fatigue happens, Step away for the summer you have a lovely home, GO OUT of it and play:) The energy and inspiration will return, it always does.

    Someday? Sell either the stools..or the chairs: ) and don't match, harmonize.

    A big flat tray of green apples, Tangellos ( long lasting /cheap/real) . or.....succulents, on the dining table with a few plillars , even a runner is all it needs.

    Life isn't frozen in time., things can move and are not nailed to surfaces . That's why styling is play. Find things that appeal, and THEN decide what looks good where.

    ( true confession evident here... just can't love that dining seating , but its NOT a now thing in any case.





    Happy fourth : )

    rfharmon thanked JAN MOYER
  • 2 months ago

    I think you have selected everything perfectly, don’t add too much.

    rfharmon thanked sofikbr
  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    As far as your kitchen and dining area.....the black paint isnt doing anything for the space. Everything just disappears into it. The chandelier , the sconces etc. I would warm it up and choose a loden/olive green which is a lovely compliment to the teak wood. Lower your chandelier. As far as the chairs and the barstools they are too matchy matchy. The comment about your stone table leaning pink is really influenced by the clay colored dining chairs. Choose something "heavier" to balance the stone table and do a simple cream. Switch the barstools out or re-upholster your current ones to the loden color or a camel/caramel like you living room chairs. It compliments the stone table, the teak wood works with all the black accents without absorbing them.



    on your console the lamps are too tall choose a lower rectangular lamp. Overall bring more ambient lighting into this space





    I also would replace your mix of baskets with something more refined like these black leather baskets and again lower the art work in this room



    rfharmon thanked Design Interior South
  • 2 months ago

    You have also received tons of ideas in your previous posts. Perhaps take a peak back there.

    rfharmon thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • 2 months ago

    @WestCoast Hopeful I always appreciate your feedback. As stated above, I’ve struggled with this space for 5 years and over that time, this space as evolved (from Target walnut furniture to white oak and from a tan leather couch to a grey oversized sofa). I appreciate all of the comments that got me from there to here but moving forward, I will stay in this chat for ideas to avoid confusion.


    Thanks for everything! 🥰

  • 2 months ago

    @JAN MOYER snd @Design Interior South I have a question about my dining chairs. they are still returnable but I dont think i can do white dining chairs because my son has lots of sensory issues so there will ve food all over them. Can you please let me know if any other color choice would work? Also, the longer the chairs sit in my space, the more i think that I bought too many but im used to cheap minimalalist chairs. I would love to know your thoughts. thanks.


  • 2 months ago

    @Celery. Visualization, Rendering images and @Design Interior South thanks for the basket color recommendations- both look great!!



    I’m also drooling over this olive green wall color! Thanks for the rec!


    🤤 😍

  • 2 months ago

    @JAN MOYER pleqse kindly let me know if you would hate this art piece above my dining table/buffet. Thanks.


  • 2 months ago

    Hi… did I offend someone? Wondering why everyone stopped talking to me? Kindly advise. Thanks.

  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    LOL!!!

    Nobody is offended! You bumped against Summer/July 3 - now /Vacations? Time outside versus in!

    I didn't answer from my swamp of a huge remodel , long distance. ......Maybe a lttle more OOMPH in the art above console?

    rfharmon thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Oh gosh Houzz is notorious for not notifying us on every post .......I just hopped on to see what was new on here and the notification let me see Jan commented on this but I never directly got a notification that you had asked a question.......please don't feel slighted or ignored. Most of us Designers are working around multuple projects on the ground too.

    I am currently onsite at a coastal project with no wifi & stepped out for a quick trip to Starbucks for much needed forticiation in the way of coffee.....ICED coffee and air conditioning because I am in 100% humidty and some wifi to get texts and email.....

    Quick answer for dining chairs would be to consider a leather/plether in cream or like your family room swivel chair color

    https://tovfurniture.com/products/sezanne-vegan-leather-dining-chair?variant=49700991729951 

    ........or would a slip covered chair where the cover could be removed and washed work?


    https://www.potterybarn.com/products/pb-classic-slope-slipcovered-dining-chairs/?catalogId=84&sku=1735405&pickuplocation=ST:%7Bstore_code%7D&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Furniture%20%3E%20Dining%20Chairs&cm_ite=1735405_14546951676_aud-946419291249:pla-548078221140&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=14546951676&gbraid=0AAAAADr1rYUTjRHLsZ2mF_kaxR3wHmCi7&gclid=CjwKCAjwvNfSBhBiEiwAyaGMCWQV6-uHtoQWIIRJgRRPgo6Alxru0va9-qinekxIG9NGUMNCImfc-hoCed0QAvD_BwE



    https://www.crateandbarrel.com/belmar-ivory-slipcovered-dining-chair/s559234

    I can give this more thought when I am in air conditioning and have time to browse.

    rfharmon thanked Design Interior South
  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Hey ladies, I’m trying to pull this space together.


    Please kindly advise on these pillows and lamps.

    1. I changed the crystal ones in the back for these shorts alabaster lamps on the console table and I put one of the crystal lamps on a side table but it just looks too narrow/tall.


    2. I think that I bought too many pillows but I love both of the shades of green (was trying ti find olive green) and I don’t know which is the right hue to keep/return. any advice would help. thanks.









    Please ignore my costco haul inside of these baskets, but I also found better matching baskets from target- seagrass (new) vs water hyacinth (old).

  • last month

    Hi, I also replaced my black shoe cabinets. Now, im torn with the best rug size for the entry? the stairs at 3’4”, the distance between the cabinet and the wall is 6’2”, and there is 6’ on the wall for the door. Any suggestions? I was thinking a low pile, sand colored rug. thanks.



  • last month

    Loving this!!

  • last month

    Better shoe cabinet, for sure! Looks great.

    rfharmon thanked RedRyder
  • last month

    Great space - its really coming together!


    I vote for less tonal and more patterned pillows with nubby, chunky texture - some of my fav sites for that are Anthropoligie, CB2, west elm , etsy etc

    rfharmon thanked la_la Girl
  • PRO
    last month

    You already have several strong elements here — the black feature wall, the artwork, the wood slats and those beautiful warm-toned chairs — so I wouldn’t add many more statement pieces. I think the next step is to connect what you already have.

    I’d repeat the warm caramel/rust tones from the chairs very selectively in the living area, perhaps through a couple of textiles or one smaller accent. You already have enough black in the lighting and feature wall, so I’d focus more on texture now: a substantial rug, softer fabrics, a larger plant and a few organic shapes would balance all the hard architectural surfaces beautifully.

    After five years of renovating, I’d also resist decorating every empty spot. A little negative space will make the pieces you’ve chosen look much more intentional.

    If you’re still deciding what overall direction you want the finished space to take, I recently created four completely different transformations of the same living room. Seeing how differently one room can look with different colors, lighting, furniture and statement pieces might give you some inspiration for the finishing touches in yours:
    https://youtu.be/R-2ZyyBc6EY

    rfharmon thanked Prime Estate Studio
  • last month

    Hey ladies and gents, I went to CB2 for pillows and I have more updates… it‘s really coming together. 😍





  • last month

    Love the pillows. Really looking good. Just one critique: center the mirror above the console. It could just be perspective but it looks like it’s off just a tad. Enjoy your space!

    rfharmon thanked Emily
  • last month

    @RedRyder I really like your rug suggestions but the other designer at my rug store suggested that I add sand colored rugs to my space to not fight the living room rug. I would love your thoughts on that idea.


    If you agree, I would love to know your thoughts on these for a few areas: dining, kitchen runner, hall runner, door mat (ugh, tjis one is a wierd size and i need low pile).


    cc: @Yvonne Martin

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I also have one more question, about this couch cover. I have a special needs (who crashes into the couch with dirty hands) so I need one and I bought it a little longer to protect the whole couch cushion but the most influencers stopped at the end of the top of the sofa. The ad had it both ways. what‘s the right answer? should i go longer? shorter? remove? Get a different color? There is also cream, khaki, and camel. Kindly advise. thanks.







  • last month

    Actually, one more question. do we hate these sconces? I like the texture on the handle but they kinda look like bathroom fixtures … which makes them simple enough to not fight the chandelier. please kindly let me know. thanks.


  • last month

    I like your new pillows! But I think you only need one set. The large on one side and the medium plus lumbar on the other end. Or maybe 2 on each side mixed.


    Are the sconces for over the DR console? If so, I think a brass or other metal would look good besides the black.


    I love your house and decor!

  • last month

    If the sconces are for over the console, I suggest not having them at all if you keep the lamp and decor. It looks a little too crowded with sconces.

  • last month

    @emily, i have to keep the sconces because they are hardwired. 🥹