kouklitsa159

Do these sconces work for our master bath?

Joanna
October 29, 2019

Im trying to find sconces for our master math. The side pictured is my side. My husband will get his own vanity same size but without the linen. The placement of the sconces cannot move so Im wondering if these work? Everything in the photo is to scale. I initially wanted to order lights with the bulbs going down but Im not really loving that style anymore. These I am liking much more but the glass part would be clear not foggy like in the photo. What do you think? Does this look ok?

https://www.wayfair.ca/lighting/pdp/ivy-bronx-angelina-modern-1-light-wallchiere-ivyb6369.html?piid%5B0%5D=22523511&piid%5B1%5D=40802387

Flo Mangan

That last one could work!

• Joanna

The last one went way too low I had to find another. What do you think of this?

Need help for master bath and teens' bath - This pic is NOT our bathroom!

Lisa, one of the issues you are having is storage. Right? That means your cabinets need to work better for you. To add more storage, you can add a unit above the toilet as well. On 1 side of the sink have drawers. These days the vanities are 34 1/2" tall. So you also gain more storage height wise. You can also use some pull outs which gives more storage. Apart from that, can you get rid of your tub & just have a shower. You don't need 60" for a nice shower. With 48" you can get a spacious shower with a 12" seat in it. You can then add a tall cabinet if you need to add storage.

Our master bath needs so TLC along with our laundry space!

Sounds like a good plan. You are one step closer to winning a FREE remodel. Next step is for a contractor and designer from Houzz to take a closer look at your project. When would you like a contractor and designer to come over and take a look at your project?

What to do with our master bath

jennyrf, I like wood-tones. And texture, and warm colors. I'm not adverse to having a painted vanity, but I'm suddenly sensitive to the possibility that I might make the bath look too much like the kitchen. Since the vanity area does not have a lot of natural light, I have concerns that a white vanity would just look grey 75% of the time.

Our master bath in our new home

I would take that door out and frame in a door before the vanity. Is that carpet? Put in new flooring to unify the 2 spaces. Make sure the ventilation fan is adequately sized for the whole space. HTH.
  • Joanna

I raised the mirror up to 14 as well!

• Joanna

With the longer sconces. I think they drop too low....

They also remind me of earrings! lol!!!!

Design Interior South

Since you are set and unable to move the base location I would do an updated look by using an adjustable arm fixture.

Morland 1-Light Adjustable Sconce With Plug, Matte Black · More Info

Rustic Wall Sconces Black Swing Arm Hardwired & Plug in Wall Sconce, Type-A · More Info

Flo Mangan

Actually I think that drop could be interesting and would give light without shadows.

Flo Mangan

Do you have recessed lighting in the bathroom?

• Joanna

We have the sconce lighting (4 total) and then one light in the shower and then another above the freestanding tub.

Flo Mangan

Yikes. Not enough lighting that’s for sure. You probably will need to add a lighted make up mirror somewhere because sconces usually are more decorative than great lighting sources. I have on idea. Bbl

Beth H. :

any way you can do a recessed light in the ceiling near the vanity??

what is the wattage on the bulbs on the sconce? any of the drop down ones, or top/bottom should work.

is that picture you posted how your vanity will look? (with the dark blue wall)

• Joanna

Beth H,

Any additions would cost money and time and we don’t have either at point. The double one above with the bulb on top and bottom take 60 watts each. So I would be getting 120 watts per side of the vanity I guess.

• Joanna

Bath, the walls will be almost white not that dark. We do have a dark wall like this our on master though!

• Joanna
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Beth**** holy autocorrect
    Flo Mangan

I think that can work. You can always change later when you have financially recovered from new house challenges.

• Joanna

Flo Mangan... I agree. These lights would illuminate the face and the ceiling too. I’m going to order them. I’ll post here when they get installed!

• Joanna

Sconces are in! Install should be next week hopefully! I’ll update then! They are by Renault and come with light bulbs!

• Joanna

Correction! RENWIL is the brand. Autocorrect screwed me there. Style number WS008 if anyone is wondering! They’re really beautiful in person!

• Joanna

Comes with two light bulbs!

Beth H. :

joanna, those are going to be rather dim, no? are they a 2700K ? since these are for the face, you'll want a bulb w/at least a 3500K, otherwise you'll look rather yellow! great looking sconce

• Joanna

Hi Beth! These are the specs! So definitely on the low side for sure. I’m going to have to use these somewhere else!

Beth H. :

oh yeah. those are like those edison bulbs. I got those w/my sconces too. way, way too dim!

Joanna thanked Beth H. :
    RL Relocation LLC

So the picture you keep reposting with the sconces higher than the mirror, the rope on the mirror helps balance the weight and also appears to be a powder room that really doesn't require the same lighting as a master bath.

Also, that fixture was based slightly around using the Edison bulb, because of the look and the clear glass. If you attempt to put an LED or regular light bulb in there the glare from the bulbs in your eyes will make it very hard to tolerate.

I really think you should reconsider a different fixture that is really meant for bathroom lighting.

Joanna thanked RL Relocation LLC
    Beth H. :

RL,,,they have similar bulbs with just a tad higher brightness. they won't be bad. it's not like she will put 5000K 100Watt bulbs in there.

I have a similar bulb in my sconces that aren't at all glaring. they sent me those edison bulbs w/my sconces. I switched them out for these

Joanna thanked Beth H. :
  • Joanna

RL Relocation LLC I might be doing a rectangular mirror to bring that height in for sure. I won't be ordering until the vanity and lights are installed. The rope mirror you see in the photo is not really my taste. The photo used showing the light fixture doesn't use Edison bulbs.... Although they did come with Edison bulbs im not married to the idea of using that style in my master. Base on the to scale photo above the light bulbs would be shiny below our chins and then up. If it is glaring maybe I can do a stronger bulb at the top and a softer one at the bottom? I could see if it works..

Im not sure why you would say to reconsider for a light that is meant for bathroom lighting when that fixture was created for bathroom lighting... im confused...

RL Relocation LLC

clear glass and bright bulbs create glare if the light is shining below your chin that might also create weird shadows. Beth has it figured out for you with the bulb she uses.

• Joanna

Lights are not in yet but the vanities are in and so is most of the tile!

• kodiac23

Looking great post pictures when your done!!!

• Joanna

Lights are up except one was missing the mounting bolt so I had to go bring a new one for them.

• Joanna

Also, lightbulbs are way too yellow/orange so I will be swapping them when we move in.

Beth H. :

they look great joanna,,,and yes,,,those bulbs will look better when you get the other ones.

I have a concern about your niche though. can you take a closer picture of it? I'm concerned about the lack of waterproofing.

a waterproofed niche looks something like this. all I see in yours is bare wood and foam backing.

do you have any pictures of the shower walls before the tile went on?

he's not tiling on top of the drywall, is he?

I can't see any evidence of any waterproofing material sticking out on the edges. look at the left portion of the tiles on this row. they are tiled on that drywall. what's underneath the tiles further to the right, in the actual wet area?

ditto this bench. what is underneath the piece on this bench? normally if it's waterproofed you'll see something flowing over on the back side too.

• Joanna

The shower area is waterproofed and the bench has that orange cement board that’s also waterproofed. You can see the green drywall in this photo from the master bedroom looking into the master bathroom. That entire wall is now tiled as well.

Beth H. :

is that green board on the wall? Regular green board ?? if so, it's not suitable for a shower. Ever.

do you know if they put something else on the walls in the shower or did they just tile over that green board?

and the niche is not waterproofed. at all.

if they just start tiling that niche as it is, you're in for a god awful mess down the road.

show me this orange cement board...did it have waffling?

• Joanna

As far as waterproofing the shower niche. That’s an excellent question.... there is an actual prefabricated solid black niche going in there. Same for our guest bathroom. Hmmm

Beth H. :

ok,,,that's fine. the pre fab thing usually goes in first and gets tiled around it. curious how they're going to waterproof the seams of this insert.

see above, the pic, regarding the green board

do you have a pic of the bench before the tile went on?

• Joanna

Hi Beth. So I had to find the right term for what the rulers used over the green board. It’s this orange waterproofing material. The bench was covered in the foam board version.

• Joanna

You can see the Shluter system on the backside of the bench in one of the photos. The inside of the bench top and sides all had this.

Beth H. :

ok great. that's all I wanted to know. when you said they tiled over the green drywall, I got worried. They did a nice job tiling so it was puzzling to me!

The bathroom looks great!

• Joanna

Another shot of the bench

Beth H. :

ok. perfect. yes, the other one just showed the wood. it's good.

which hex tile is that?

• Joanna
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Ooufff glad they did it right!
  • Joanna
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>My comment went whacky above.
  • Joanna

Oooo when you try to use emoji’s the comments go funny!!!

• Joanna

Mirrors went up today!

Beth H. :

perfect

• Susan Davis

Water under the bridge, but for the least glare and best effect the light bulb should be at 68 inches above the floor....aka Alexa Hampton....

• Joanna

We are at the finish line!!! Monday is walk through day!

Flo Mangan

Looking good.

• smalloldhouse_gw

Wow, that looks great!!