Software
Houzz Logo Print
eric_schneider15

New here St Augustine

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

New here and glad I found this forum! I recently built a house with St Augustine. I really want to learn and take care of the grass. I have been using Milogranite for a feed as of now. Grass looks ok, but I have some places that are really nice and green and other places seem to have thatch. Can anyone help me figure this out? Grass is nice and thick just want it green like these spots all over.

Comments (19)

  • 6 years ago

    not sure why I can’t post pics

  • 6 years ago

    When you post, wait for the pic to go from ghostly pale to fully saturated. That can be quite a time period--and if it never happens, cancel and try again. Photos are a bit of a hassle here.

    Your other option is to upload to another album online and link to it. Those are often much easier for the poster and we don't mind going elsewhere to view 'em.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    I don't know jack about St. Aug, but at least I can say that I can see the photos. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    I can help you after I know a couple things.

    Where do you live?

    What is your watering schedule? How often and for how long do you water? It appears you are watering too frequently, but let's get your take on it.

    Also do you have any dogs?

  • 6 years ago

    Hello! Thanks! I’m in Orlando, Florida. I was watering 2 times a week (Thursday’s and Sunday’s 5am & 6am) I had broken it up into 2 sessions. Stationary ones run about 5min and rotary ones about 15min each session.

  • 6 years ago

    thanks all that was very helpful. I Had the sprinklers 2 times a week from the jump about a year ago. So In the hot summer months would it be good to go back to twice a week? I just put down some bioadvance fungus control. Since I have the Fungus already should I reapply cornmeal or the bioadvance in a few weeks? On the label it states for curative reapply 14 day intervals until it’s gone then go preventative.

  • 6 years ago

    Once you have a chemical fungicide down, the cornmeal will not work. Cornmeal is decomposed by fungi. Once the population of those fungi is great enough, another fungus comes in the clean out the first one. It is the secondary fungus that also takes out the disease. This time factor is why it takes 3 weeks to see the improvement. But if you have applied the chemical fungicide, then the secondary fungus is prevented from coming in.

    Check the grass 14 days after applying the fungicide. If it does not look perfect, you can reapply. If that works, then fine. If not, then I would discontinue the chemical treatment, wait until about February, and then try cornmeal. Some diseases will die out over the winter, but not this one. I had dead spots in the yard for 3 years before discovering cornmeal. Another thingy you need to know is that St Augustine cannot be left overnight with anything covering it. My wife used to leave yard clippings from her flower beds on the grass. The next day the disease had started. There's something about the morning dew needs to evaporate...or else!!!

    Eric Schneider thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 6 years ago

    Eric, how's the lawn looking?

    Eric Schneider thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    wow that is funny! I was just coming on here today to give an update. I applied the fungus treatment again last weekend. (It was over 14 days) I think it seems to be looking better, but I still see signs of the fungus. I changed my watering to every 14 days as well.


    im just confused on running the sprinklers now. Everyone was telling me 2 times a week when it was hot out. I just dont want to run into this issue again.

  • 6 years ago

    In Florida and in California, "everyone" says to water every day. If you were hearing twice a week, that's probably a sign that someone is listening. I'm going to repeat what I said earlier about watering.

    The mantra for watering a lawn is to water deeply and infrequently. Deep means 1 inch all at one time. Infrequent depends on a few factors with the primary one being outdoor high temperature. The biggest secondary factor is humidity. Your climate is relatively warm but not stinking hot. Then again it is stinkin humid. So you don't get enough evaporation to need to water more frequently than I'm suggesting. With high temps in the 80s you should water no more than once every 2 weeks. I realize that everyone in FL wants to water every day, but that leads to lawns that look like yours. When the temps fall into the 70s, then back off to watering deeply once every 3 weeks. You can time how long it takes to get 1 inch of water by placing several cat food or tuna cans around the yard. Time how long it takes to fill them all. My oscillator sprinkler takes 8 full hours to fill the cans on full sweep. There are some high flow in-ground systems that can fill the cans in 15 or 20 minutes. Everyone's situation will be different, so you have to do this test yourself.

    This time of year you should be watering more like once every 2 weeks. Following the deep and infrequent mantra, you should be relatively safe from a repeat of the disease. The kicker there is Mother Nature. She can really screw up Her watering frequency at certain times of year.

    So the Bioadvance seems to be helping?

    Eric Schneider thanked dchall_san_antonio
  • 6 years ago

    Yea, I think it has worked some. I have been crazy busy so haven’t had much time to monitor. I was thinking it would have worked better tho.


    Yea Mother Nature can be crazy. I do have the seasonal adjust option on my system that I use to curb the time based on weather in my zip code


    I did adjust the sprinklers to every 14 days since we started this post.


  • 6 years ago

    Got some time today to check out the grass and to tell you the truth I don’t really see much change yet after 2 applications of the bioadvance

  • 6 years ago

    Looks like I will be trying the cornmeal come February. This chemical fungicide didn’t work!! Only thing working is where my dog pees it’s nice and green 😂

  • 6 years ago

    Just a reminder, Eric. It's getting to be February.

    I don't know about your house but it's spring in Bandera, TX. Crepe myrtles are blooming downtown.

  • 6 years ago

    Well I got really concerned with the issue not getting better so called a service out and they advised my soil PH is very high and that is what is causing my issue. seems I may need to lower it with sulfur. May get a second opinion to be sure or get a PH reader myself.

  • 6 years ago

    Is your soil pH higher than 8.0?? That's the average pH in Texas soils. Send a sample to Logan Labs if you have ANY questions. Then post the results here and wait for advice. I would post the results under a new topic so they will get seen. Get the $25 test. That's all you need. You cannot rely on a home pH test kit. 99% of the time they tell you the pH of the water you used. Here's a quick test for you. Put some of your soil into a jar and pour vinegar into it. If you see fizzing, then you have high pH. But again, my soil is sure to be 8.0 and my St Aug grows just fine.

    Did your grass turn completely brown this winter or do you have lots of green left? We had a 19 degree night back in December which turned everything dormant (straw brown, or tan colored). I'm seeing some new green coming in with the spring conditions. So I'm having to wait to see if I need to start the season out with corn meal. I had a few issues last fall, so it will be interesting to see if this disease can survive 19 degrees.