Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
88jmb

Paint regret- help!

j B
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I recently had our exterior painted and the gray I chose (SW African gray) turned how darker than I expected especially next to my brick wall. Any ideas of how to make this better without having to use pay to have it painted again? white wash the brick maybe? I feel like it looks awful but I’m scared to make it worse

Comments (16)

• lopipopi
    4 years ago

I think it looks great. Maybe paint your garage door to match so that it isn't so stark against the grey.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

The gray looks fine with the brick, (cute house!) but I agree to paint the garage doors the color of the house. They are NOT a feature so should fade into the back ground. I'd also lose the shutters because they are much too small for your window.

• Fori
    4 years ago

It's just new to you. You'll stop being shocked in about a week.

I'd paint the garage door too, but possibly the dark trim color. Or not. It's really fine.

I am a fan of the dinky shutters that belong on ranch houses, but yours really would be better if they were double the size...but for now, your house looks good!!

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I think you are just not used to the new look. It really does look very nice. I love the color you have. The shutters are a bit narrow, but, you dont have room for wider ones, and if you remove them, you will take away from the look of your house, so I would leave them, just like they are.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think the color is fine. What I would change would be the variety of lantern lights. The one by the front door should be 1/4 - 1/3 of the door's height and the ones at the garage should be at least that high. You can do a better job of matching the styles though. I would remove the vestigial shutters immediately! They add nothing to your home but the thought that they're a mistake. What color is your front door?

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I agree with Deco about the lights, it will make a huge difference. I would get them in black.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

What a cute house! the color works!

I would just add a pop of color. Some Ceramic Pots in red, three in different sizes in the same spot you have the brown ceramic pot.

• Debbie Downer
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Where did people ever get the idea that a 1950s ranch house shutters should look like they could close up?

Like - who's ever going to close their shutters? Unless maybe you lived in hurricane country. The 1950s ranch shutter is a purely decorative element - like ornate corbels on a victorian house, or brackets on a craftsman house, etc.

IUnless you have a historic pre 1900s house ..... ie from back when people really DID close up the shutters..... then the sizing of them is a non issue, and only a matter of whether you want them on or not, do they add any visual interest or maybe you like the authenticity? Maybe yes, maybe no!

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Glo's version is so much better.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 years ago

Go with Glo... I like the color. It's just a big change for you. It does look nice. Don't paint the brick

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I agree with most other comments...remove shuttters, paint the garage door, larger lights, and I would replace the black iron railing with white wood( or vinyl). Your house is VERY cute!

• skmom
    4 years ago

Looks nice! I like it! You’re probably just in a little shock at the difference.

• j B
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all! The house was cream colored before so maybe I just need to get used to it! I was originally going to paint the garage door the same as the shutter color and front door (sw indigo batik) but thought everything was looking way too dark after the gray went up!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I like it. Leave the garage doors white and add a pergola over the garage door.

• Maria M.
    4 years ago

Just going to chime in to say that it looks great! If anything, I'd say it might be a bit too light, but that may be the window shutters talking. (Which yes, you should get rid of.)

I like the white garage door. Just even-size the lanterns on either side of it. Maybe replace them with "barn" lights.