Software
Houzz Logo Print
shebella1

Need Help Deciding on Sofa Color

6 years ago


I am having second thoughts, I ordered a new sofa for this room to be delivered next week, the one there is going into the front living room where it came from, the one I ordered is a very dark green and now I am wondering if I should go with a light color; note that the blinds will be replaced with white blinds. Please help me decide. Thanks!

Comments (41)

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Picture of living room? Picture of dark green new sofa?

    First impression is the sitting area next to kitchen is pretty somber.


    Koko Leather Sofa · More Info





    shebella1 thanked JudyG Designs
  • 6 years ago

    Are those swatches on the couch pictured?

    shebella1 thanked always1stepbehind
  • 6 years ago

    Since I haven't a clue what color the new sofa is, this is the best I can do to show you how it might look.


    shebella1 thanked groveraxle
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the visual. The color is a very dark green almost black.

  • 6 years ago

    you may consider choosing new wall art that can tie in some white (new blinds) and couch. also, are you looking to stick with the same vibe that you have going or move in a new direction? i keep focusing on that wall art. it seems dreary.

    shebella1 thanked lopezmaryk
  • 6 years ago

    How does the green tie into anything? Or are you trying to create a new palette? How’s the lighting looks dark and moody in there

    shebella1 thanked Gcubed
  • 6 years ago

    I like the green sofa idea, but please keep those blinds - they add that nature-inspired touch the sofa will need. I would have gone with more of a forest green but you can add that in with pillows and accessories (and more and larger plants). It will look great!

    shebella1 thanked francieo
  • 6 years ago

    I love the texture of the wood blinds that are changing to white. Be sure to add texture to your new look. Lighting - ceiling light really does anyone any favors. Much better is a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height. I love what lopezmaryk said about adding new wall art. The black sofa in this size space will need a lot of reflective surfaces and light/bright colors to liven up the space. Keep that in mind when you develop your wish list of items to get. Instead of spreading the plants apart on the console, consider grouping them together for better impact (the three right ones together at that end, and the two left ones together at that end).

    shebella1 thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • 6 years ago
    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    IF the opportunity to change/return sofa is an option I would give it serious consideration. A lighter colored sofa, different art and a neutral white wall color would give the room a fresh boost. The current wall color (on my screen) seems to clash with the granite. End table/tables with lamps would be a useful addition

    Hey, just my humble opinion. Ultimately, go with what feels right to you!

    shebella1 thanked kkid77
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    No to the green sofa. Cancel the order. A light or buttery camel color would echo your countertops better than green, which doesn't tie in with anything. Keep the blinds for all the reasons mentioned above--texture, warmth, color. Consider picking the very palest background color from your countertops to repaint your walls.

    Eclectic Modern Living Room | Bouldin Creek, Austin · More Info


    This sort of palette would work in your living room:

    Island Residence · More Info


    Think about changing your art to something larger that also picks up gold tones you should go for.

    "Gold Leaves." Original Artwork By Kanayo Ede · More Info



    60x48" Bright Sunset Original Large Yellow Blue abstract Painting · More Info


    shebella1 thanked housegal200
  • 6 years ago

    Do you have more photos, especially one taken in daylight? We're all shooting half blind here with just a section of your space. All of it needs to be taken in so that everything surrounding the sofa choice works well.


    shebella1 thanked housegal200
  • 6 years ago

    Your dark green sofa could still work. Leave the blinds wood tone. You have a pretty small color palet right now and the white just washes the room out vs. brightens it. Change out the art to something bigger with a much less formal, simple frame, bright colors. That void in the corner by the sofa, try adding one of those big potted tree's and make it tall so the room gets more organic.

    shebella1 thanked goldendalefarm
  • 6 years ago

    I agree abt leaving the blinds wood tone and the green couch, and choosing new art to anchor the green/camel/ brown color scheme with some bright gold/brass accents in the art and/or lamps/lampshades/pillows or decor.

    shebella1 thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    housegal200
    You’re awesome!

  • 6 years ago

    It all looks a bit drab, but that could be the angle and lack of light in the photo. We really need to see more angles and what kind of lighting you have in there. If I had to only go off this pic, I would not put a dark green couch in there.

    shebella1 thanked Lizzy L.
  • 6 years ago

    With Leslie's good post / photo, I took a different look at your art's mat - if you keep a dark neutral [pretty much] sofa - pick a livelier color for the mat.

    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago

    Are you going to love that dark green sofa in 5-6 years? If you were to move, would it be the main item you'd want to build a room around? Generally, it is safer to build around a neutral so you can change your colors on a whim with pillows, throws and accessories.

    shebella1 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 6 years ago

    I would get rid of the brown blinds for sure. And as was mentioned, no overhead lights. Do you NEED blinds for privacy/light control? If not you could use panels instead. This would add warmth and softness. If blinds must stay, change them to white and add sheers and/or panels.

    shebella1 thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 6 years ago

    You could paint that nook an off white such as swiss coffee by Benjamin Moore. I agree with cream couch and add in browns and golds with throw pillows. Update the art. I think white blinds may only work if you paint and go with a lighter couch. I can't imagine how white blinds would work with a dark green couch...

    shebella1 thanked lopezmaryk
  • 6 years ago

    OP seems to have disappeared, or is not interested in helping us help her.

  • 6 years ago

    Light color

    shebella1 thanked sandraoliver
  • 6 years ago

    Stick with housegal200 or lesliefromla

    shebella1 thanked ellenmcabral
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all for your comments, for some reason I can't seem to comment to each one of you individually. The art is an investment piece that I have had for many years and want to keep it for now, so I am looking to change the frame and matting. I have reconsidered the green sofa and cancelled the order. There is a t.v. in the corner near the picture and the lighting is a ceiling fan. I will try post more pictures with other angles and better lighting.

  • 6 years ago





    Here are more pictures of my space, the couch and chair were taken from the living room and will go back there, the table can go, I would like to keep the picture, but re-frame it with different color matting (but if it just doesn’t work, I will consider removing it) and have a t.v. in this space and a dry bar. Please help with ideas of how to furnish and decorate. Thanks again for all your comments.

  • 6 years ago

    It needs to be brightened up. I would lighten the walls and/or add a large light colored rug. I would add a coffee table and get those plants off the floor. Play around with the furniture placement because when it's all the pushed to the sides, it looks like a doctor's waiting room. Also, maybe move the picture further to the left so it's not competing with the TV.

    shebella1 thanked Lizzy L.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I would feel comfortable there. :) … details: I think the floor vase is too small - would a ceramic stool/end table in a color from the art work?

    Maybe to me the vase is too different than the counter stools....?

    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago

    Rug, if a couple items were 'brightened' and made medium in tone: maybe console, art mat, window blinds [could have semi-sheers type] -

    Angelina Abstract Gray and Multi Rug, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/angelina-abstract-gray-and-multi-rug-710x1010-prvw-vr~35543272

    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    That's a beautiful piece of art and should have center stage since you love it. If you repaint the space a warm white, you won't need to reframe the picture. Everbiz's first rug is just great because the palette echoes your art work, while picking up a bit of the floor color. I still think a camel sofa would look great. Just make sure any sofa works well with your art.


    You could really showcase the art by putting long, low shelving across the entire wall with the art above it and a TV off to the side but on a swivel stand so you can see it from the sofa.


    Miami House · More Info

    .

  • 6 years ago

    I agree that a less wide loveseat would have a more trim, less crowded look...? experiment with 2 chairs under window too....From your art I'm browsing for a green - W 25.6" / D 28.75" / H 31.1"

    Couturier's Chair · More Info

    I https://www.houzz.com/products/couturiers-chair-prvw-vr~114378934

    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Probably better over all is a blend with chair - 70" w - especially with a rug.


    Sherry Kline Westbury 96" Embroidered Window Panel, Set Of 2, Light Blue · More Info


    CorLiving Victoria Fabric Sofa, Beige · More Info


    https://www.houzz.com/products/corliving-victoria-sofa-with-sloped-armrests-beige-prvw-vr~95380187

    https://www.houzz.com/products/sherry-kline-westbury-96-embroidered-window-panel-set-of-2-light-blue-prvw-vr~85539689

  • 6 years ago

    Room has richness - have more than one light - I've had that and it's bad. To me this is pretty, and might blend well with floor, and be subtle addition with ivory seating, and art....

    Loloi Javari Rug, Steel/Sunrise, 6'7"x9'4" · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/loloi-javari-rug-steel-sunrise-67x94-prvw-vr~83361713

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Might go under your art, and be a tie-in with stool legs. Small space and have legs showing....
    38" x 35 H

    Table Bordeaux Demi Table · More Info


    https://www.houzz.com/products/table-bordeaux-demi-table-prvw-vr~102586395

  • 6 years ago

    Just idea for 2 boxes over yours, and making tv the 3rd box -

    Intersecting Walnut Rectangular Shelves Set of 2 · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/intersecting-walnut-rectangular-shelves-set-of-2-prvw-vr~126745122

  • 6 years ago

    Everdebz - I am open to the idea of a loveseat instead of a full couch; nice chairs, and would like to have floating shelves. All great ideas. Thanks!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Good that you post several angles, cause one view with sofa/blinds straight ahead: I think you don't need full curtains, but 'dummy' non-functioning panels, to widen enough to cover both ends of any seating that's there... have you tried 2 matching chairs?

    Other colors too:

    Tweed Drapery Curtain Panels, Pewter · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/tweed-drapery-curtain-panels-pewter-prvw-vr~66988049

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hanging in overlap with blinds/wall these would blend with blinds - I wouldn't worry too much about how dark the room seems... even fabric will feel softer, and have sheen possibly...I just want to encourage the neutrals you'd see in a cozy den.

    Tweed Drapery Curtain Panels, Straw · More Info


    https://www.houzz.com/products/tweed-drapery-curtain-panels-straw-prvw-vr~66987930

    shebella1 thanked everdebz
  • 6 years ago

    One more - just keep your sofa - btw, I like moss and olive green. :)

    Van Gogh Printed Cotton Twill Curtain Single Panel, Gray, 50"x96" · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/products/van-gogh-gray-printed-cotton-twill-curtain-single-panel-50x96-prvw-vr~90837514

    shebella1 thanked everdebz