Software
Houzz Logo Print
jesenia_delacruz

Quartzite edge

Can someone tell me if seams are supposed to be this visible? I get there is no ”fixing” once its installed but I’m just concerned this was a sloppy job. Especially for the price tag.

I know there must be a seam given the material and finish but it seems very big to me. It’s this way all thru the entire kitchen. Thank you!



Comments (43)

  • 6 years ago

    looks a little sloppy. no overhang? or is it the photo?

    can you post a few more photos showing diff angles from farther back?

  • 6 years ago

    There is an over hang. Here is a better pic



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    why wasn't that polished out?

    should look like this


    sorry, i'd be having a talk w/the fabricator. I wouldn't accept it.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Sorry, but that's the worst laminated built-up edge I have ever seen. I understand that the movement will stagger with this type of seam but why is it so wide, it's usually just a hairline.

  • 6 years ago

    Meeting with today. He tried telling me over the phone this was normal. And there was nothing that could be done. Just wanted to check out other’s opinions before I complained. Didn’t know if I was being picky.

  • 6 years ago

    Aaargh, you are not being remotely picky. This guy is not accepting responsibility for his shoddy work.

  • 6 years ago

    thank you for all the feedback!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm sorry I don't understand this picture. Counters are often 2 cm or 3 cm thick. Is this showing two slabs on top of each other with a seam on the front? Are you sure this is quartzite? Is this porcelain?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    It's a built-up front edge. The slab is 3/4" and a 3/4" thick strip is laminated to the underside of the main slab front edge to create the appearance of a 1 1/2" slab. Very common practice.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, @The Kitchen Abode Ltd. I guess I've never seen a seam in the front of a counter like that.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    No problem, you've probably have seen one but it was done properly. That one you can see from the far side of the room.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Here's an example of one done properly. It's very hard to see, I had to crop in close on this pic.



  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. I see it. Contractor said something about it being the materials fault. Says quartzite crystallizes as soon as it cut making it impossible to make it look any better. Is this accurate? I can see there being a seam but mine seems very wide. And I’m also worried about staining in the future. The material inside the seam. Since it’s so visible.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I understand that some materials do not seam perfectly, but the fabricator should have been able to get you something like this.



    Jesenia De la cruz thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • 6 years ago

    ThanI you for all the info!!! Really appreciate it.

  • 6 years ago

    Haven’t paid yet. Hope he agrees to replacing it. Otherwise this will be my only option. What a pain. Thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    Hey- first I am sorry, that is super upsetting!! I am so glad you have not paid- DON'T!! I would expect it to be replaced (and a new fabricator) I don't know if that could even be fixed. I just had quartz installed and there is no visible seam and the veining aligns perfectly.

    Jesenia De la cruz thanked Kelly Z
  • 6 years ago

    I know I’m not a professional but this just didn’t seem right. Glad I have confirmation of my suspicions!!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    If that part of the job looks like s-h-i-t, I guarantee there are more problems with this installation. Can you show the sink area and the seams on the horizontal surfaces?

  • 6 years ago

    This is actually the only part with seams. The island is being done in butcher block. And that’s were the sink is.

  • 6 years ago

    So is it quartzite? The natural stone? Or is it Quartz? The man made composite. Your first photos look like quartzite. Quartzite is very hard, second only to diamond. I hope the fabricator can soften the look of the seams. It looks like a beautiful piece of stone. I have a quartzite fireplace surround. Yes there are some seams. They are small and smooth. They are part of the piece. Do you complain about the seams in your pants?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Do you complain about the seams in your pants?

    Well, that’s a new one, rachann61. I don’t know about Jesenia, the OP, but if the seams in my custom-made or tailored pants looked like crap, then, yes. Btw, even though we’re comparing apples and oranges, please let’s see the seams in your quartzite fireplace surround so we can see what “small and smooth” is supposed to look like.

  • 6 years ago

    It’s quartzite. I did complain. And that’s what they told me. It’s a very hard to work with. And once they cut it crystallizes. Wish I would have been told before hand. The large seams takes away from the rest of the piece. Do you have pics of your fireplace you can share so I can use to show him this isn’t the norm? Gathering all of my data before I meet with him in person.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    And once they cut it crystallizes.

    Huh? they actually said this? they use their magic saws and turn stone into crystals? smh.

    some quartzite have crystal (known as quartz) deposits. I think what they mean is that cutting through these quartz deposits tends to crumble a bit. whatever. still doesn't explain their crappy seam. run your finger over it. does it feel jagged or rough? It shouldn't. true quartzite is only one step up on the hardness scale from granite. they smooth out granite all the time. all they need is a diamond blade to smooth it out. It's done every day to other quartzite.

    show him this pic. point out the beautiful seaming and vein matching on the sides.


    Ask him if you got the only quartzite on the planet that is unworkable and harder than diamonds.

  • 6 years ago

    It’s smooth. I think they rushed the job. The guy was going on vacation and wanted to finish the job prior to leaving.....

  • 6 years ago

    That is gonna be one expensive vacation.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Beth, that looks like a mitered edge.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'll bet if he ripped a 1/4" off the edges, the seam will be much less conspicuous. He ripped then laminated the broken edges flush. He should have ripped, laminated, and ripped again. This could be done onsite. It'd be a real PIA, but much less expensive than replacement.

    The edges as is are embarrassingly unacceptable.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    kitchen abode, you're absolutely right. Should've looked closer

    perhaps he should have done a miter edge









  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Miter is definitely the way to go on stone with any kind of movement, makes it look like one solid slab. I even recommend it on most other stones even if they are a solid color.

  • 6 years ago

    Wish we were told this before picking our edge finish. :(

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    This is unacceptable, hope they redo the seams and apologize.

  • 6 years ago

    Here's the seam on our quartzite edge:


  • 6 years ago

    Have to agree that a mitered edge would have been better here. Pic is the edge of our quartzite; lots of movement, mitered edges line up and seam is invisible. Your fabricator should have known how to best work with your chosen stone. I would be upset as well-- really hope you can come to a resolution that makes you happy.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    "...and seam is invisible."


    No, it is not. It is inconspicuous.

  • 6 years ago

    Fair enough-- I'm very happy with it, which pushes inconspicuous to invisible for a homeowner. Is that better?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Much better. Too many posters here have unrealistic expectations. Setting realistic expectations is a key component of contractor/designer obligations.

  • 6 years ago

    The mastic/adhesive could have been a better match, but a built-up edge will have a seam.

  • 6 years ago

    It was fixed!!!! Thank you all for your input. Helped go in with the knowledge needed to demand it corrected.


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Following - interested to see how this is fixed

  • 6 years ago

    So are you happy with the fixed edge? I think it looks good in the photo. There is a lot of stuff on the countertop. I would love to see more “big picture” photos of the whole kitchen. The cabinets look lovely. Even with the messy edge the quartzite looked beautiful, so show us the natural work of art you have now. I love quartzite, and I think you will too

  • 5 years ago

    when my seam was done it was thick also on my counters. I complained when they came out to do my fireplace surround the owner of the company scrapped most of it out somehow, and redid and looks much better, so definatly possible.