Software
Houzz Logo Print
permanposies9afl

Rose structures

I’ve been very busy building arbors, trellises, and pergolas, to create more surface for my climbers, and to create shade, screening, etc. around the garden. I thought it would be good to have a thread for these?

For myself, I’m just an amateur trying to eek out more dollars for roses, so very budget-minded. We’ve used lots of reclaimed materials (thank you, Freecycle and Craigslist) which I’m proud of since it kept these materials out of a landfill.

Here’s one we did this weekend. (Please pardon the mess, it’s a construction zone lately. And I’m referencing the wooden structure in front of the window, not the wire fencing bean trellis in front.)This porch window faces east, so it’s baking in the midday sun. This arbor is for Brightside Cream, who wants to be on this side of the window anyway. She really loves the heat! So I’ll train her up and over, and she’ll provide some shade to the screened porch. It was very inexpensive, around $30-35, built out of recycled deck boards. :-)


Comments (43)

  • 6 years ago

    Looks great, Perma!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago


    Here’s another one we did. This one is almost 8’ x 8’ square. We’ve got climbers on three posts, and teas all around them. I want the seating area to be completely hidden when it’s filled in. (This photo was before planting, so I’ll have to update with what it looks like now) :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Please do update. Looks great.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Very nice Perma! You’ve done a great job! I’ll be following your post with interest since I’m now considering installing a structure for Mel’s Heritage to drape over. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked weekend gardener
  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful structures, Perma. I love that the wire extends beyond the structure, you’ve obviously grown climbing roses before. Also love that Kitty knows where to sit to be the focal point of the pic...what rose structure? ...there’s just a cute kitty.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 6 years ago

    ...you're very clever, I wish I could do that... I especially like your gazebo, and how the colours match both the fence in the background and the outbuilding on the right... it's almost too good to cover...

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Perma , I am / was obsessed with garden arbors and structures , especially when I had a lot of land . Yours look fantastic!!!! And I really also can’t wait to see them filled out !! Good for you for saving money and keeping reusable materials out of the landfill :)

    I do hope you will update us !!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 6 years ago

    Its beautiful, Perma. Great job ,!!

    I have been watching a lot of videos on making pergolas, arbours and trellis.

    It is funny. I like a few videos and they all keep popping up after that. One after another..weurd and befire that i barely find anything.

    Perma, what did you put in the hole for the post ? Cement or gravel ?






    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    You guys did a great job! I really like your walkway/garden path in the first photo as well.

    I love when we can get recycled or free building materials. When we were first building our chicken coops and rabbit hutches, we found a guy on CL who was tearing down a house and we got all kinds of free boards.

    Another one, we build from heat treated wood pallets.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have been zooming in a lot of videos.

    The first pic is from David Austin. His place and it shows how an easy one can be done . just a post with chains.

    The next few pics are of Southampton Rose Society. I saw Helga Dawn- Frohling who is a rosarian and she donated over 2000 roses on behalf of her husband who loves climbers. She also donated structures and i took pics of the videos and you can see it was simple but steady. i was watching P. Allen Smith going to her place.






    Okay, it got posted backwards. The middle is DA and the other two is Helga's.

    I hope this works as i have tons of videos but i just pick one.

    https://youtu.be/HNHmKkpAfO8HNHmKkpAfO8

    I should have pick a great structure one n a complicated one.....haha.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It works ! Phew!!

    Pictures n video. And my phone- Houzz started to work yesterday too. I am so happy :)

    now i can used my phone :}

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Perma I am watching your progress avidly! I am redoing my garden almost entirely mainly for roses and for incorporating as many climbers as possibly. I love vertical interest.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much, everyone! I’m really having fun with these, and they can’t grow fast enough to fill them up!

    Jin, we decided to beef these up to be hurricane-resistant. My grandfather built some lovely structures out of PT lumber, and after seeing how short-lived they were here in steamy FL, I decided to go a different route. It’s worked well so far.

    All of our posts are steel fence posts set in concrete 24” down, and then clad in wooden boards. We just cut the board edges at 45 degree angles to make clean seams and they look like wooden posts. My thinking is that if the boards rot, we can just pop them off and replace them without losing the support for the roses. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Ben—that would be Bleu the kitty, and she truly believes the garden is all there just for her.

    Lilyfinch, your arbors have been very inspirational to me!

    Wow, I spent some time exploring your photos, Jin, and those are some amazing structures! I’ve always loved swags, and wish I had room for them.

    Dianela, I love your pillars! Your roses look like they are loving them. I’ve watched those videos several times myself, and they are great for training climbers. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Sultry—we got a giant load of free deck boards, and they've made great edging to hold all my mulch in place. Our coop is made out of lots of recycled materials, too.

    Katya, we have to share our progress and keep encouraging each other, since we both have young gardens. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Plumeria, I specially love the second DA picture. What a great idea for specially large climbers while keeping then garden airy!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago

    Yes Perma I certainly will!!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Katy, all the pics are from videos. I took snap pics bec since i cant travel i see videos or u-tube n see how they do it. Taking pics give me the ideas i am looking for. next time if i do travel i am definitely going to a a garden.Till than videos will do :}

    Perma that is brilliant idea to have it hurricane proof. You are thinking way ahead :)

    metal is the best for post and so is PT lumber . You have to have that here or else it wont last with so many termites and other bugs.

    You know what, Perma ? If i try to do that next year and get stuck...i am calling you for help !! ( joking but could happen) ...lol

    jin

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Dianela, I'm saving your pic of Awakening and Super Excelsea. I keep meaning to do that - 2 roses grown together. Beautiful combination.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Flowers. Growing two roses together is certainly more work, but Marlorena does it so beautifully that I really wanted to try it. Now I do it most of the time because I am greedy and no number of roses can satisfy me lol



    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    Dianela, I bet we could all make that confession, and it could very well be our motto - "I am greedy and no number of roses can satisfy me." That about sums it up.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago

    Love our 'motto'

    That actually describe all of us.


    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Dianela, I missed that second picture of yours. What a great idea if one can do it! Of course you can never have enough roses!! I would just wonder about root competition but in your arrangement the roots can go far away. Thanks for showing us!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago

    Perma, I love your gazebo. It's beautiful. I have a nice arbor built by my dad. Now I want to set up an arbor by myself and am looking up info on how to do it. Thank you for this post. Can't wait when the roses cover all your structures. It'll be a beautiful thing to see. Here is mine covered by 3 Eden roses. Heln

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Oh that is beautiful!! I hope my roses grows like that. Helen you have the loveliest roses not to speak of arbors. Love to your dad too. Yes do tell us here, if you are OK with that, how you proceed. I am building some garden structures too...

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked katyajini
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thanks katyajini. About arbor setup, my knowledge is still at zero, lol. Helen

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked bayarea_girl_z10a_ca
  • 6 years ago

    Jin, of course I would help you out! I’d love to!

    Thank you, Helen for your compliment, and for posting your arbor. Your dad must be a very experienced—that looks gorgeous! I love how he stacked the beams, and created more levels. :-)

  • 6 years ago

    I was looking at your photos again, Dianela, and I think that’s quite brilliant. I’m thinking I will try this with some of mine. I wonder if you can plant two more vigorous types together, and they would suppress each other a bit, kind of like you might do with fruit trees?

    Hmmm...back to my list of “must get planted” roses to see who might make a lovely couple! :-)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Katyajini thank you! I honestly have found that roses compete very well for resources and planting them close together is not a problem at all. I am sure it probably contributes to some more blackspot but here there is nothing I can do to not have blackspot (except spray), so might as well do as I please =).

    Perma thank you. Any compliments for this idea go to Marlorena, I have just tried to copy some of her ideas after seeing her beautiful pictures. I also think choosing roses who are similar in vigor is important. in this case super ex and awakening are both very vigorous and are doing well together. I planted cloud 10 and raspberry cream together in my arbor and raspberry just took over. Cloud 10 is very slowly trying to do something. I have 2 other cloud 10s growing slowly with no competition, so it just grows at a slower rate and it wasn’t a good match.

    Planted at the same time cloud 10 barely reaching half way. (This has been a fail so far)


    These pairing is another example. I planted iceberg last fall and it wasn’t ready to bloom much this spring with the pink rose, but it should be able to bloom well next spring. The other one has very little rebloom while iceberg and the clematis can bloom during the summer. Fingers crossed it will work.




    Here is a bad picture but the only one I seem to have in my phone. They weren’t very glamorous this year.


    Helen I am in love with your arbor. What a beautiful work of art and love from your dad. It is just spectacular in every way as are your roses.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    Dianela,

    Love the pillars. How long a 4x4 did you buy, and how far did you sink it into the ground? My Eden has far overgrown her obelisk and I’m looking for alternate ways to support her.




    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ohhhhh BenT I am extremely jealous now. Helen and you have the most amazing Edens ever. I really want that rose =), but I am trying to be strong and not getting any more super black spotty roses. I am already using 10 gallons of spray at a time. The pillars are 12 feet long and they went around 2 feet into the ground. Then added quickcrete and watered it with a hose. I am pretty sure they had 14 feet tall posts at Lowe’s also if you need them a bit taller.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    bayarea_girl, and Perma n’ Posies,

    I just discovered how to make a nesting area for some of the Doves that hang out here, maybe even some Robins….. Looking at your picture in the upper right hand corner is what I’m talking about — how the beams are stacked.


    All I would have to do is place a wire saucer (for the nest to sit on) on top of the post. Shorten the long beams so they form a square feature. Cut the same end design on all of the ends, add a few more cross 2x2s to block out most of the rain and sun yet still allow escape routes for the birds.


    To increase the size of the escape route between the beams, that are attached to the post; a block of wood could be placed on both sides of the post between it and the cross beams.


    One of these could be set on top of a pillar post anywhere around the garden. Once the rose climber gets up over the feature the nest should be hard to see by Hawks etc.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked toolbelt68
  • 6 years ago

    Dianela, those are so heavy that i had issues carrying them so i bought a smaller ones like 10 ft long and i think it is 6 inches [ PT } than i realized it was wrong ones so i kept it. i almost did Paul Zimmerman style but decided to wait since i don't have any climbers ...not yet. It is great idea so i am saving ideas. Thank you for all the information and i am saving it :}


    Helen, your Gazebo is BEAUTIFUL . Your Dad is very talented. I am also looking into Edens and they look gorgeous and so is Ben's.

    Perma, thanks for being there and believe me now you are experience builder now .


    Toolbelt that would be amazing to have Doves or Robins living there. That would be so cool .


    jin




    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Toolbelt, I love that idea! I think I’m stealing it...nothing would make it more prefect than to have bird families nesting in my beautiful roses! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Perma n' Posies, Go for it!!!!! All you would have to do is install a piece of wire screen that is strong enough to support the birds, maybe just a small piece of plywood.


    I built an arbor over the driveway to the garage. There are 3 posts per side. The two center posts are connected together by two beams going across the driveway. At the center of those two beams I plan on putting one of these nests. Since my roses are not up over the top nor anyways near the center I plan on putting a pot with petunias that will hang down over the structure. The thicker the leaves/flowers etc the better to hide the nest. I'm also considering just using fake flowers until the roses get there. I already have a drip system line going across the beams so all I’ll have to do is splice in a ’T’ to keep the plant watered….


    And yes jin having birds live among the roses is really cool. Not a year goes by without us having at least 3 nests. This year we had 6 that we found…. lol

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked toolbelt68
  • 6 years ago

    That is so cool! All these structures are amazing. I hope we see pictures of 'The Tusks'. I'll have to find the post linking to it. Toolbelt, I'd love to see the structure over your garage. I'm helping a friend design his detached garage and having an arbor there would be awesome!!!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Ben you have presented so many beautiful pics of your Eden. I tried it in Houston years ago and it was not a good for year-round bloomer for me. Possibly wrong location or lack of talent. Does it hold up to July and August in Dallas? can it take some shade.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Austin
  • 6 years ago

    I found Deborah's post on 'The Tusks". Prepare to be amazed yet again. The folks on this forum are just too talented! : PP

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    I cannot believe that, it is a work of art - forget the roses. Amazing! Ha....and I was so proud of my cedar obelisk holding Evelyn.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Austin
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    You should be proud austin. I hesitated to post it for that reason, but it blew my mind so i had to share! My someday arbor will be a motley assortment of stuff probably not even fit to post yet as it will be mine I know I will! : )) Heck, I'm even proud of my jacked-up obelisk made of upside down tomato cages topped with finials!

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Wow, that is beautiful. DeDeborahvorah pick Mels heritage and it is a perfect rose too. I can only imagine how it looks.

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful pictures and great ideas, folks! I am very curious to know: just how far apart do you place the rose plants? Daniela,your pairing of Awakening and Super Excelsa is brilliant-how far aprt from each oother are they planted? And how much empty space is there around them?

    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked User