Software
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

My Christmas Cactus is Blooming

6 years ago

On of my Christmas cactus is blooming and has been for over a week. I have another one but it is not blooming yet. The one that is blooming is a lipstick red color, very pretty. Any of you have Christmas cactus?

Sue

Comments (37)

  • 6 years ago

    I have several Christmas cactuses and two varieties are blooming right now. They are white (actually a very pale pink) and pink, from pieces from from my aunt's plants. I have one very large plant from my mother that blooms in the spring. I am trying to revive (or recreate) a Christmas cactus that my sister gave to me. I neglected it and it got damaged and very dried out. I took a couple of the healthier pieces and now am trying to root them.

    Can you post a photo of your plant?

    Marilyn Sue thanked stacey_mb
  • 6 years ago

    Marilyn.....would love to see a photo of yours!

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Mine has buds. Another 4 weeks until it blooms....


    Marilyn Sue thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Sounds beautiful!

    Mine doesn't like the night time light it gets, so no blooms for us :(

    Marilyn Sue thanked quasifish
  • 6 years ago

    Ha ha! I read the OP’s post, scrolled down and there was a pic of a bathroom toilet. I was wondering if you kept it in the bathroom! Scrolled farther, it’s an ad! LOL!

    Marilyn Sue thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • 6 years ago

    I don't have a way to take a good picture and post, but no it was not in the bathroom, had them both outside on my porch all summer. I wanted to get them repotted but didn't.

    Sue

  • 6 years ago

    I bought one from Aldi last year and it has had some blooms on it ever since then. It's loaded now with pink flowers. It's in my large kitchen greenhouse window facing east.

    Marilyn Sue thanked lily316
  • 6 years ago

    Various plants are called Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter cactus depending on time that they bloom. You can tell the difference by examining the segments. https://blog.gardenloversclub.com/houseplants/growing-holiday-cactus/

    Marilyn Sue thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you maifleur01 Mine bloomed in time for Halloween so I must have a Halloween cactus :)

  • 6 years ago

    I do not remember if I ever knew what it was but I used to have one that only bloomed during the summer. Even though genetically certain types will bloom at certain times of the year that bloom is more related to the amount of light that a plant receives and the temperature of the air.

    Marilyn Sue thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Mine is blooming also. I've had it about 3 yrs and it blooms every year around this time.

    Marilyn Sue thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • 6 years ago

    Only buds here, they should be blooming by Thanksgiving. The photos are from last year.

    By the way, they are ridiculously easy to propagate. Just take a segment,
    stick in water and there'll be roots in no time. My grandmother had a
    very old Christmas cactus, it was huge and covered with buds and red
    flowers every Christmas. Wish I had been able to root some of it.




    Marilyn Sue thanked kadefol
  • 6 years ago

    I have a small one grown from a cutting. Blooming now, electric pink. My large one is a more subdued light pink. But, this thread reminded me, I need to put it in a cool room, west light, no artificial light for it to get ready to bloom.

    Nice photos, everyone.

    Marilyn Sue thanked petalique
  • 6 years ago

    petalique

    I never put any holiday cacri in a darl room and they bloom every year. That is Thanksgiving and Easter/Spring cacti. I only got cuttings of Christmas cactus this year, and there are no buds, not sure if it will bloom. But I am doing same thing. Here is one of TC cacti last year:


    Marilyn Sue thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 6 years ago

    The one I had that bloomed during the summer was simply set out under my pear tree and nature allowed it to do its thing. Finally lost it to some type of rot.

    Marilyn Sue thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    If they're blooming now, they're almost certainly Thanksgiving Cactus, S. truncata. The pics posted are Thanksgiving Cacti.


    Josh

    Marilyn Sue thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago

    I'm in the "buds" group. Got it last year, so if memory serves, mine looks like rina's

    Marilyn Sue thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • 6 years ago

    Mine is in full bloom

    Marilyn Sue thanked Elizabeth
  • 6 years ago

    If they're blooming now they're Thanksgiving cactus . . . but whether they are true Christmas ones or thanksgiving ones, they certainly brighten dreary interiors this time of year.


    Marilyn Sue thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have a white one all blossomed and a yellow one that is budded.

    Marilyn Sue thanked kittywhiskers
  • 6 years ago

    Seeing these pictures is making me want one.

    Someone mentioned how easy they are to propagate--sticking a segment in water. Is a segment one single little leaf? I'm sure a g/f has a cactus, I'd love to try it.

    But of course, this is the season when they're in all the stores as well.

    Marilyn Sue thanked Jasdip
  • 6 years ago

    I've had many. Some have bloomed on Halloween. Once on Yom Kippur. Nonetheless, I still call them a Christmas cactus. The time varies from year to year. I am not a stickler.


    Is that not right to do?

    Marilyn Sue thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • 6 years ago

    Jasdip, you can root a whole segment or just a leaf, I've done both. The cacti are finally blooming and the one on the right is from segments and leaves I rooted last year. They grow very quickly.

    Marilyn Sue thanked kadefol
  • 6 years ago

    I have a spring blooming one. LOVE it. So pretty. Now seeing these, I want a Christmas one too!

    Marilyn Sue thanked share_oh
  • 6 years ago

    Like many retail stores ours decided to start celebrating Christmas at Thanksgiving-time.

    Marilyn Sue thanked bob_cville
  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful cacti! Thanks for showing me yours, Kadefol, and how easy it is to start a new one.

    Marilyn Sue thanked Jasdip
  • 6 years ago

    One I bought at Aldi last year has bloomed all year long. Right now it has tiny pink buds. I bought another one at Wegmans and it's blooming pink and red blooms now.

    Marilyn Sue thanked lily316
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    My white one has a few blooms and several buds. It is still small. It is the daughter of a huge plant I had that suddenly started dying several years and I salvaged a cutting.

    I also have a deep pink one but it has only had one bloom so far.


    Marilyn Sue thanked OutsidePlaying
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Rina, I honestly think yours is a true 'Christmas Cactus'.. Can you post a close up of the leaves and have some experts here say if it is so? I think it would be just awesome.

    Marilyn Sue thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • 6 years ago

    Jasdip, you are very welcome. Hope you'll post pics if you decide to root some, they often bloom very quickly.

    Marilyn Sue thanked kadefol
  • 6 years ago

    Ravencajun, that's a very nice Easter Cactus!


    Mike, the smooth leaf margins on Rina's TC threw me off, too, but if you look at the flowers, they are angled outward slightly and are asymetrical like TC blooms.


    Josh

    Marilyn Sue thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Rina's plant threw me as well, but if you look at 12 & 2 o'clock you'll see some pointed segments that are tell-tale (as well as the flower habit).

    tj

    Marilyn Sue thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • 6 years ago

    Now. I haven't checked the pollen color.

    Marilyn Sue thanked sealavender
  • 6 years ago

    I just noticed today when I was watering my white one has little buds forming. It is a cutting from a friend. I need to get a picture of it.

    Marilyn Sue thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 6 years ago

    Mike,

    Josh, tj are correct.

    It is TC even if most of the leaves look more like CC. I circled one that is jagged:

    I am judging by the assymetrical flowers that are TC for sure:


    Marilyn Sue thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 6 years ago

    Here is a young CC I got this spring. Leaves are more elongated than TC above:

    I just noticed 1st, lonly bud on it:


    Marilyn Sue thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 6 years ago

    They're so very pretty, but I just can't seem to keep one alive. I gave one to a former neighbor and she kept that thing alive and blooming for years--maybe it was the light orientation.

    Marilyn Sue thanked sjerin
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!