pensivern

Decorating around this wallpaper???

pensivern
last modified: November 7, 2019

I’m starting to redecorate my DR (the 4 th time in 26 yrs) to flow with the rest of my recently updated center hall Colonial. I’m stuck with my oak Queen Anne DR set- I can’t even GIVE it away- no one wants this style anymore.

Anyway, I’d like to lighten up the room, give it some personality with a more current wallpaper atop my wainscoting which I'll be painting a truer white. I like this pattern ( grey and white Ogee) but wondering what I could do for drapes and cushion fabric on my seats. I’d like to do 2 upholstered parson chairs as well on the ends of the table.
Here’s the paper in my DR , and pictured in the book.... and some pics of the current room looking into my kitchen.

• pensivern

Tartenmeup, I haven’t done serious light fixture hunting yet, but thinking something like this:

• hollysmother

I like the wallpaper you picked. But if you want a simple make over have you considered painting the color of the strip in the chair (grey or taupe?) above your wainscoting? Unless you just want to make more changes. I have a dark pine china cabinet that I didn’t love but I changed the knobs and painted the inside of the cabinet. Now I’m satisfied. Either way I think you know what you’re doing. “Live with what you love”.

How do I decorate around this wallpaper?

Pink, polka dots, stripes, geometrics and even a smaller print would work well this wallpaper.

WallPaper problem. Our home was built in 1941.

Yes, your scorer is SO IMPORTANT. The steamer may help, but only after the wallpaper remover has been allowed to soak in. We used one of the sprayers from the hardware store normally used to spray insecticide, but added the wallpaper remover or fabric softener. I found no difference in any aid, except to use boiling hot water and score the heck out of the wallpaper and let the remover do the work. It was a HUGE mess and took multiple attempts. You will NEVER get 7 layers of wallpaper off at one time so don't even think about it. We were lucky to get off two at a time. It is a big job. Take your time and understand it will take a couple of weeks.

Ned help to design living/dining room around this wallpaper!

So is the room with the table the "living & dining" room. Do 2 chairs at the end of a dining room constitute a living room? The next room has a fireplace & TV...what is that room called. Doesn't anyone think the table & light placement in the room is quite "off"? It virtually is crammed near the possibly named real living room. Look at photo #2, you have a balanced wall with 2 windows, a buffet/dresser centered between them and then the table is turned perpendicular to block the opening to the next room and is at the far end of the dining room. ???

Your room has warm colors and the wallpaper reads cool to me. Plus it seems as though the wallpaper has silver in it which clashes with all the gold and warm tones of the room. Look for wallpaper that compliments the colors you already have, but maybe in a deeper tone. It's the pattern of the wallpaper that will make the statement, not so much the introduction of a new color.
  • tartanmeup

If it were my dining room, I'd splurge on new art before I'd change the lighting fixture. There are a thousand beautiful ways you could furnish your dining room and it's a matter of heeding your taste and budget. I think taking it a step at a time with your end goal in mind is not a bad way to go.

• Sheeisback GW

Only have a min. but saw the comment to ditch the hutch like it’s some type of growth. Keep it. It’s very nice. It will come back around.

Like the wallpaper.

• tartanmeup

"to ditch the hutch like it’s some type of growth" Lol Aptly expressed, Shee.

Beautiful furniture is beautiful furniture. It comes back. If it's not current and we want to store it for a bit, fine. No shame either way.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Can you post a picture of the windows, pensivern?

Do you close the curtains in the evening regularly, or keep the curtains stacked back all the time?

• pensivern

Usually stacked back, I have cellular shades inside mount beneath them.

BeverlyFLADeziner

The wallpaper is from what company?

• pensivern

Sea brook Designs, book is Beach House

• pensivern

Pic of book

• pensivern

I’m judging from the actual paper, not the picture of it above the wainscoting- it’s on a crisp white ground and looks nice above my pure white kitchen cabinet paint- I don’t think I’m understanding your post ( ??)

• threers

In regard to the breakfront, I recently "updated" by Queen Anne dining room by replacing the QA chairs with upholstered chairs similar to the ones in your photo, painting the walls BM Balboa Mist ( a gray) and redecorating my hutch by covering the back with gray silk fabric (covering up a lot of brown ) and by removing all the china that was in it and putting many fewer things back in,,,mostly coffee cups and saucers, teacups and saucers and demitasse cups and saucers,,,,all gifts to my mother at her 1939 bridal shower and wedding. putting three to six cups on each shelf. You may want to try to simplify your china cabinet's content for an updated look.

• pricklypearcactus

I just wanted to say that I really like the wallpaper and I can absolutely see it working with your dining set. However, Beverly's comment did give me pause - you definitely want to make certain your wainscoting color works well with the colors in the wallpaper.

• pensivern

I hired a painter for the wainscoting as my current color is Antique white- too yellow. The wallpaper background is a very crisp white. Are you all saying the white wouldn’t look good but a griege would?

• pensivern

Greige

• tartanmeup

I see Beverly's point now with these new pictures! In the book picture, the glaze on the wainscotting does make the pairing more harmonious.

JAN MOYER

Good grief. I ALSO said perhaps keep the LOWER portion only. My impression is the op is no longer all that enamored with the "brown furniture match " .......

She mentioned indigo in her scheme, It's also on her valance in the kitchen. I think the light paper, ...........I will admit my heart doesn't skip a beat. It's often nice to pull a secondary color from the remainder of the house, and jolt a separate space alive. Dark rooms can be gorgeous, look larger, absorb dark furniture, are a foil for crystal and metals, especially warm metals, and candle light. And art.

• pensivern

There does not appear to be any glazing on the pic of the wainscoting in the actual book- I’m looking at it now, not through a lens.

• suzyq53

Sorry but I think the scale of the wallpaper is too large for your space. I like the concept but just think something similar but smaller would work better.

• pensivern

Jan, it’s just that I’ve had a dark DR for years with the BM peanut shell paint atop the wainscoting and I’m yearning for an all around lighter look.

• pensivern

Suzy, the scale is one aspect I love about it-smaller prints sometimes look too busy and dated once applied to the wall.

Are you keeping the mirror and table between the windows? If not, is it possible to extend the curtain rods a bit? I'm not sure if that's possible near each corner of the room. But it would give you more room for stack back.

Ikea, West Elm, and Crate + Barrel all have light grey linen panels, which I think would work well with the wallpaper and new chair fabric. Ikea's Aina linen curtains look lovely and are a deal.

For something with some more oomph, I would also take a look at Ballad Designs. There is this,

Bordered Linen Drapery Panel, grey with white,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/bordered-linen-drapery-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/484821?listIndex=13&uniqueId=484821

And also some panels with decorative edging and some fairly subtle prints, like the Le Lattis Embroidered Drapery Panel,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/le-lattis-embroidered-drapery-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/412834?listIndex=10&uniqueId=412834

Also at Ballard, these block print-style damask panels in yellow, which I think would tie in the chair fabric well,

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/bingham-printed-damask-panel/rugs-drapery/drapery/all/229447?listIndex=0&uniqueId=229447

You could also get the Ikea Aina linen curtains and add decorative trim tape, maybe something with a bit of black and some yellow.

• tartanmeup

pensivern, so you think it's just how the wall was lit in the book picture that's causing the trim to have shadows? In both pics you shared of the book, the wainscotting isn't a uniform colour. I think if you match the paint to the background colour in the wallpaper, it'll be fine but it might be more harmonious to glaze the trim with pattern colour as Beverly pointed out.

(Your emphasis can be hard to interpret, JAN. "right OUT of there" :))

• pensivern

Yes, I think it’s just the lighting in the photo- the wainscoting in the pic looks very white to my eye in person.

JAN MOYER

I admit I'm a paper snot/ brat. I don't want it, unless it makes my heart skip a beat............: ) It has to be something that either eliminates the need for art, or so simple, it doesn't deny art, meaning a texture. You've ruled out grass cloth, which in a pale tone could be sensational and a big update to the traditional furniture. I just think, I'd have a hard time gluing much else other than sensational to the walls. It's just me

• doods

Bev's rendering with the wainscotting painted light grey to match the wallpaper pattern is lovely! By the way love your chandelier, and dining room furniture including the hutch it is beautiful and classy, and classic! I too rearranged my hutch so that it does not have any plates standing on their edge, gives it a much more modern look.

• pensivern

Bev, all those premier print fabrics you posted....did you mean those for drapes? which ones do you think wouldn’t fight with the wallpaper ?

• pensivern

Oh yes, the hutch will be emptied of my bone China and filled with simpler, fewer items in more complimentary colors

• tqtqtbw

What color are the current drapes? I think painting/papering the room will make a huge difference.

• tartanmeup

I absolutely love Beckysharp's curtain panels suggestions!

BeverlyFLADeziner

I was thinking of the small prints for chair upholstery. Let me think about drapes now.

BeverlyFLADeziner

There is either a glaze on the lower wall or it's been Photoshopped and altered

How do you plan to approach art for the walls?

• suzyq53

I thought there might not be enough room for the pattern to repeat between the wainscot and crown moulding and over the doors and windows.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Pattern repeat is 12.6"

Here is Becky's Ballard Border Drape

A plain linen to contrast the wallpaper could work.

• pensivern

Bev, I suppose I can add a glaze to the white wainscoting after the paper is up if it looks like it’s lacking.

Thanks, Bev. I didn't have time to grab, save, and post pics today : ) .

• pensivern

Thanks all- love the drapes from Ballards. I will have a sea of grey and white though ( and brown of course)- suggestions for adding a 3 rd color for interest? Mustard? Navy? I guess that will be brought in as art work and China cabinet items. So you think the upholstered Parsons chairs should be done in white or grey?

I've never been a fan of grey and mustard together, but I've always loved blue, and I think a bright navy, or a darker brighter blue, would look lovely and perk things up. I'd also consider coral if you like it.

Also, I'm an old fuddy duddy and hate the idea of treating art and chinaware as purely decorative items, rather than items acquired because one loves them and they speak to you; do you like and use the items in your china cabinet? Do you have a sentimental attachment to them? If so, I would keep them there, because there's a huge difference with a magazine spread (for which a lot of staging is done) or catalogue shoot, and a dining room in regular use. I could see a large dark blue, or blue and white, tureen or vase for the table. Are you keeping both mirrors and both smaller tables in the room?

If you go with navy, I'd do the Parsons chairs in that. More practical, too : ) .

• tartanmeup

Not sure about the Parsons chairs but I think the colour needs to be repeated in the other chairs. Speaking of which, the current print on them looks quite nice. How well does it look with your wallpaper choice? Can't see the colours well. Does the fabric need to be replaced?

• pensivern

Yes, the dining chair seats need to be recovered- they are a cream, yellow-tan, brown and pale blue stripe- they were covered to coordinate with the rug ( shades of oatmeal, rust and pale blue- grey)- it all most definitely does not go with the wallpaper. I was considering painting the buffet ( which I picked up from Craig’s list for $40) black, but now I’m thinking navy. I’m somewhat handy with chalk painting furniture although I’d never take on my DR set- much too major a headache!

• pensivern

Chair seat and rug- the drapes are a coppery silk.

• pensivern

I suggested mustard because I have pops of it in my other rooms

• pensivern

I like your wall art suggestions Bev, but already have a wall of botanicals in my sitting room

• tartanmeup

How do your curtains look with your new wallpaper choice because if you go with navy, copper and navy are lovely together.

For art, if you're looking for online inspiration beyond Etsy and eBay, these sites might have something that appeals:

Tappan Collective

https://www.artinteriors.ca/

https://20x200.com/

Citizen Atelier

Daily Paintworks (small pieces but could inspire in terms of style or artist discovery)

Exhibition A

Don't forget that plenty of artists welcome commissions so if you find an artist whose style you love and have something in mind, reach out to them.

pensivern, in terms of art, where do you live? And what do you like? For example, wondering if maybe some prints of various corals, or birds, or historical architecture, etc would work.

Kerri Shipp in Australia has some nice things,

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/driftwoodinteriors

and there are similar items in other Etsy shops. I also like to use old calendars (I buy them on sale after the new year) or remaindered art books -- you can find all sorts of subjects.

• pensivern

Btw, I showed my husband the pic in the wallpaper book and he said “ it’s either photoshopped or a shadow- it’s too perfectly lined to be glazing”

• tartanmeup

I think the point is your wainscotting might not have the same look and you might be disappointed with the effect. As you said though, you can always glaze it if that's the case.

Another thread reminded me of another art site. You can filter by style, subject, price, colour, etc.: Saatchi Art - Still Life paintings Becky's idea of calendars and art books is a good one as well.

• pensivern

Well, my current wainscoting isn’t glazed, but the wood panels look outlined from a short distance away/ it’s created by the shadow of the ridges. I think whatever color I paint it, it’ll still have shadows creating the illusion of glazing. When Bev first insisted it was glazed, I thought she meant the flat white surfaces, not the inner trims which I didn’t really notice- nowI see what she means.... the shadows make the interior moldings look outlined.

• pensivern

Oh yes- coffee table book pages can make great artwork for the wall!