Software
Houzz Logo Print
mainesthai

SOS - updating a traditional dining room

6 years ago

I have a very traditional dining room which needs updating badly. Can anyone make any recommendation that don’t include painting the wood? Btw/ table has a burgundy pad over it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Hi. You have a start with the chandelier, so go from there. You need several additional modern elements in the space.


    1) Remove the runner. It feels very dated and doesn't show against the table

    2) Remove the candles. They are too high.

    3) If possible, remove the end hostess chairs. They are crowding the space and feel heavy. They could be pulled in if additional seating is needed.

    4) How often do you use the room? Can the table pads be removed and placed on there only when used?

    5) I don't think the dark bust is working in this space.

    6) I like the turtle, but he is getting lost against the dark table


    Add


    1) A large piece of modern art, like in the photo below.

    2) Large, sleek modern mirror.

    3) Simple, long bowl in the center of the table.

    4) Reupholster the chairs.

    Bergen Street Residence · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. Yes the chandelier has to go. Was suppose to be transitional but doesn’t work. I’ll start on those ideas.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    In your idea book, you show modern chandeliers. Are you going for a modern and traditional look mixed or more of a transitional look?

  • 6 years ago

    following

  • 6 years ago

    Don't change out the chandelier just yet. The runner, rug, mirror, traditional chairs are elements that make the room seem heavy. Remove those elements before you change out the chandelier.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I'd keep the table and remove everything else--the chairs, rug, mirror and wall sculpture. The table is a nice French Louis XV style, but the wooden chairs don't belong to any traditional historical period. The only chairs I'd keep are the upholstered host/hostess chairs, but I'd reupholster them in a different fabric. Change out the rug for a natural seagrass or sisal, and replace the mirror with a less ornate one. The chandelier isn't my style but if you like it, it can work.

    Here are some ideas for a more updated look:


    Georgian Cottage · More Info


    Nantucket in the Palisades · More Info


    Dining room · More Info


    Bartlet Renovation · More Info


    Beach Style Dining Room · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    I agree about not changing out the chandelier just yet.

    I see you keep the pad on the table, Do you entertain in this space often?

    I only put my pad on my table when I entertain. I love the look of a wood table in my space, when not entertaining.

    If you need to keep the end chairs, I would slip cover them in a solid color. I would also simplify the the table decor to a large narrow long bowl that has a little sparkle, just a little gold touch to match the chandelier. No need to fill it.

    Do you need to keep the area rug?

    I would replace the mirror with art in that spot.


  • 6 years ago

    Thanks to you both. There is a cream colored tile under the rug. Not sure how it’ll look, but I’ll try it out.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Before you do anything, you need an inspiration photo of what you want your dining room to look like.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    For example, posters need to know what you want to keep, and what you are willing to let go of.

    Some inspiration:


    Mixing old and new · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    I agree with the above posters. The room looks heavy. Upholster chair seats or slipcovers. Recover hostess chairs to match seats. The runner, candles need to go. I agree a simple bowl would work. The room is screaming for a piece of art, and that black piece needs to be removed.I would replace the chandelier first unless you love it.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Here's how linen slipcovers could look on your end chairs. Changing out the other chairs, beautiful though they are, would make a world of difference. Diane Bier shows some great examples.

    P.S. I just went into your dining room Ideabook. I do think if you want to go more modern, avoid curved, traditional looking chairs. Some of the chairs other Commentors have posted are a better way to go. Just make sure to match the finish of the wood legs to the table, which has curves enough for the whole room.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    "Upated" is very general and subjective. The photos in your ideabook in the dining room range from modern to transitional to traditional. If you give me an idea of where you'd like to go, I could help further. Thanks.



  • 6 years ago

    Which of the pieces in this room do you love? Were any things inherited? Do they have sentimental value?

  • 6 years ago

    I am a minimalist, but can appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of the table and chairs that you have.


    This is what I would do with the room:


    Step 1 - remove the mirror and wall sculpture.

    Step 2 - find a large painting/print to replace the mirror - look for something that makes your heart sing. The artwork in my home reflects my love of animals and nature. My dining room houses 4 paintings of raccoons, my sister's dining room has a large picture of red poppies. She loves flowers. Pick something that reflects who you are and what you love.

    Step 3 - have the art framed in a frame that complements the art and the table. Not ornate like your mirror, but substantial enough to work with the table.

    Step 4 - replace the carpet with a solid or large print (similar to what njmomma posted) area carpet that has some of the colors that are in the picture you selected.


    I combined steps 5 and 6 because the hostess chairs have to work with the other chairs.


    Step 5/6 - find 2 hostess chairs that are not as heavy and don't have skirting to the floor, but are substantial enough to work with your table. Maybe something like the one posted by Diana above



    Step 5/6 - reupholster the chairs in a color from your art.


    Step 7 - Find a new chandelier.

    I love this one for above your table - heavy, but provides an industrial balance to the table. It is also crazy expensive, so I would need to look for an alternate choice for my home.




  • 6 years ago

    Try a plain, neutral rug, simplify the tabletop with a low centerpiece, and hang a nice piece of art, or a mirror with a less ornate frame.

    Before you go spending a lot of money, remove the rug, all the stuff on the table, and the black torso and post a picture here.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I'd keep the mirror and the chandelier and replace the table, chairs and rug with more transitional pieces.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Things that should go: Table runner, host chairs, candle stands, wall sculpture.

    If you are planning to bring in a touch of modern style, replace the rug with some light patterned one. Add modern art pieces and candle stands on the table. Add modern wall art with some traditional features.