Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Typical solution to address drywall joint banding

whaas_5a
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I was surprised to see such strong shadows from the dry wall joints after orange peel texture, primer and then a flat coat of ceiling paint.

Does it need to be primed and painted again or will another coat of paint do the job?

You can see a very strong joint band to the right of the tape. If I insert the original image houzz flips it and if I flip it houzz doesn‘t flip it. None the less it’s the ceiling.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

What does your builder say?

Have you been up there with a straightedge?

How does it look with all the lighting installed?

whaas_5a thanked PPF.
  • whaas_5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

PPF, thanks for fixing that pic. Either they won’t load from my phone which is most of the time or they don’t load correctly.

My phone camera is actually pretty terrible so it’s not picking up on how severe the joint banding is. I did take a straight level to it and it’s OK although I found a different spot that was off by a quarter inch.

I have been aware of the issue but it’s never come up in my first two builds this is actually the lower level of my newer build.

I couldn’t find anything online on the typical fix. I plan to discuss with the contractor this week either way but it’s always nice to know what others have done

• User
    4 years ago

When you use a textured finish, a finisher is less likely to apply a lot of coats of compound. But you are looking at the ceiling with the construction lights. It might look fine when the work is done.

whaas_5a thanked User
  • whaas_5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They look worse without the construction lights when it’s just daylight which is why I’d like to address.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Have you found a coat of paint addresses the issue?

• PRO
    PPF.
    4 years ago

Have you found a coat of paint addresses the issue?

If paint is the issue, then yes. Depending on the problem maybe prime first.

Do you have any pictures after drywall but before paint?

whaas_5a thanked PPF.
  • whaas_5a
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I didn't get too many pics - this is the best I have. I can try to zoom in on my computer as houzz will downgrade resolution.

What would you be looking for?

• User
    4 years ago

Why do you feel responsible for finding a solution? Do you plan to fix it yourself?