Software
Houzz Logo Print
kathyc_z10_socal

CCRS rose auction

6 years ago

Thought you all would be interested in this! I made my day down the coast today to Oceanside for the California Coastal Rose Society's annual rare and unusual rose auction, my first time. I had a great time and learned a lot! It serves as a fundraiser to help the CCRS preserve rare roses. Today was made up of 5 speakers who educated the audience on the roses up for auction. There were tons of old and new roses, the majority not in commerce anywhere here in the US. The list of speakers is here and included Ping Lim (hybridizer), Bob Martin (President of ARS), Gregg Lowery, and others, including John Bagnasco, pres of CCRS, super nice guy. If you remember Vintage Gardens, it was just lovely to hear Gregg talk because he shared some history of that time and what the Friends of Vintage Gardens is doing now as well as interesting anecdotes on roses. All the speakers had something I learned from. I highly enjoyed it!


After learning about the roses, we could do some silent bidding in person. Tomorrow, Sunday, is the live bidding. I knew I would not be back Sunday for the live bidding so I sent in my silent bid sheet earlier this week... but then my eyes got caught on some I hadn’t noticed before… then as I walked out I noticed some other over there that I missed before… so all in all, I am a little afraid of what happens if I am the high bidder on all of them! Ha!


They had great roses in every class, from OGRs to microminis. They had roses that had never been introduced in commerce before such as Bob Martin’s own creations and one I should have bid on, Twinkle Little Star (Dave Bangs) that truly just glowed. They had roses from Italy (Barni) and Japan (Suzuki) and Scotland (Cocker). I was very interested in some of the Ralph Moore roses that you can’t find anymore such as Tiny Flame… well the list was long and my garden is small so …

Here are some pics!


A portion of the roses up for auction


Ping Lim's Red Captain. I had not heard of Ping Lim's roses before today, but they were very charming. If I understood correctly, they will be more widely distributed here in the US soon but very popular in Japan now, I believe.


I swore "no more" to hybrid teas, favoring more bloom now in my rose adventures, but I couldnt resist bidding on this Suzuki rose Aozura



A Barni rose that seemed really popular based on how many bids it had.. Silvina Donvito

I was interested in how this looked because I've never taken a chance on ordering any Barni roses from RU but tempted many times


Ralph Moore's Tiny Flame! His roses always seemed such fun.



Hope this was interesting!

Comments (18)

  • 6 years ago

    Really great to hear the report and have photos! Thank you, Kathy.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for your lively, detailed report. I so wish I could have been there. Next year...

    Colleen

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, Kathy, for a great summation of what goes on during these auctions. I enjoyed seeing the photos of such rarities as the gorgeous Red Captain, and I look forward to Ping Lim's roses being more widely available. And Tiny Flame is really such a cutie. Diane

  • 6 years ago

    You're kidding--no, it is remarkable. Diane

  • 6 years ago

    Wow what a awesome way to spend a weekend! The roses look fantastic!

  • 6 years ago

    Kathyc thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the pics very much.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Green over here! Actually, thrilled you share these pics. Those are some handsome looking plants and the roster of speakers! Wowza! I'm a little jealous of you meeting J. Bagnasco as he bred one of my favourite roses, Tooth Fairy; a charmingly apt name for a charming rose. He has also bred others I'm interested in so maybe next year. : )) Good that you bid on many as I would only regret those I DIDN'T bid for as you never know what you might miss. Keep us updated on what you won.

    Roseseek, I agree! Genetics are amazing! Tiny Flame's flowers remind me of Red Cascade's.

    P.S. Kathy, as there are only two pics of Tiny Flame on HMF, perhaps you could add your full plant shot when you have time. It really shows the growth structure and possibilities of this rose.

  • 6 years ago

    Absolutely! Please, Kathy, that photo really does need to go on HMF. Thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    Kathy- thank you for sharing!! Wish I could have been there. Tiny flame is awesome!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    thanks everyone! I just found out I placed the winning bids on two roses!! what fun!

    Fair Molly, a sweet Ralph Moore rose, which is super exciting because that was the one near the top of my list! It's so charming!

    I also won Roseraie du Chatelet a floribunda that is very pretty! Does anyone grow this one?? Looks like Palatine might have had it a few years ago.

    I am a little bummed I did not win any of the "showy" others I bid on such as Striped Queen Elizabeth, Comtesse Cecile de Chabrillant, or Candice, but maybe another year... Grand total out of pocket is only $27?!? That hardly seems right for a fundraiser, I would have gladly given them some more!

    @roseseek and @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley, that is a great idea to add to HMF. I also have a few other pics of plants I took there I can add to help others. Vapor, so cool that you love Tooth Fairy, Bob Martin was saying that he has it in front of his house and all the kids that visit love it!
    @roseseek I did not know that about the parentage! So interesting!

    This was a really fun experience and I'm feeling so lucky to have been able to go!

  • 6 years ago

    Wonderful, Kathy! Congratulations! I'm delighted to see Striped Queen Elizabeth still around and kicking! That is a sport I discovered 29 years ago of a Ralph Moore striped seedling he gave me. His seedling was lighter colored and not as vigorous. This is darker pink and much stronger growing. He said when I shared it with him that perhaps being stronger, it might lead to something. So far, decades later, unfortunately, it hasn't.

  • 6 years ago

    Kathy--Roseraie du Chatelet is very pretty and apparently not now available in the US--good one! The charming Fair Molly tempted me too but I wasn't sure what the prices would be like and decided to make very high online bids for the two I wanted most--the Tantau red Admiral (I'm obsessed with the mostly unobtainable new Tantaus) and Foxy Lady which was cancelled from my Palatine order. My bill came to a mere $73. If I'd known the prices would be so reasonable I'd have bid on a lot more! Next year....

    Colleen

  • 6 years ago

    Colleen, I've been obsessed with Tantau roses for years, and Admiral and several other deep reds are on my "want" list. In case you haven't acquired one, send for Tantau's gorgeous free catalog. Go to their website and fill out a short order form. Tantau will send the catalog super fast. Diane

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much for sharing, Kathy—so many of us are just too far away to participate, so I really appreciate all the photos and details! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Diane--Thanks for the tip. I'll read it and weep. Colleen

  • 6 years ago

    After bidding on four roses in the silent auction and expecting none I got one! I don’t usually go after pink roses but Elizabeth Bowers was bred by Judith Singer in Tucson so it should be a good desert rose.

    Can’t wait to get it!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have to look up Elizabeth Bowers. It is amazing how this rose was named .

    All the roses look amazing. Congratulations on everyone's winning. This looks to be a great event.

    Kathy, i envy you going there. This sounds so exciting being there in person and experiencing everything first hand. Thank you !