Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_66533782

help to make more modern

6 years ago

I have a traditional house that i try to make as contemporary / modern as possible. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to update and modernize this fireplace from paint to tile.


Comments (18)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I see nothing in your photo that says “modern”. I do have an idea, though. Remove the mantel, keep the white tiles and do a simple, wood surround.

    I think this look is so cool.




    noreen k thanked JudyG Designs
  • 6 years ago

    Get the paneling strips off, plaster the bricks with something that can withstand the heat, replace the top with a slick wooden one or perhaps even a black painted one, replace the floortiles with modern ones after your own taste.



    Or even with new tiles:



    noreen k thanked treesstandingtall
  • 6 years ago

    I love both of these ideas. I want to start with the least expensive options first - I will definitely pull the paneling strips off - that is a great idea. DO you think it would be a good idea for me to paint it all a semi gloss black? And maybe paint the bricks some other color - white or grey or something?

  • 6 years ago

    You could do a more modern tile over the brick, or simplify the mantel woodwork. But honestly, I think replacing the mirror with a piece of modern artwork would go away, and then you could put a contemporary chair on the left corner.



    noreen k thanked acm
  • 6 years ago

    I think you are right - the mirror (which i do love) - needs to go somewhere else. And i like the more modern chair in the corner. I need to keep making small touches to keep moving in the modern direction.

  • 6 years ago

    noreen, of course you can paint it semi gloss black. Would be interesting! I'm not so sure about the modern look, if you just paint over the bricks, but if you like it, it's just fine. For a more modern look, I'd prefer it plastered, but you can probably paint it yourself and need someone else for the plastering. Painting it white or grey is both fine. Grey would make it more masculine.

  • 6 years ago

    All of your accessories in the photo are very traditional. Instead of changing the fireplace that matches the style of your home, just change the art and accessories to be more streamlined, simple, and modern. Some juxtaposition is nice in a space.

    noreen k thanked calidesign
  • 6 years ago

    i think that is a really good point. i am not a good decorator at all i just know what i like when i see it. I didn't even realize (an everyone said it) that my accessories are not modern). I think for now, i will just get rid of the trim on the face of the fireplace and repaint it either black or white. And find a different place for the mirror.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Consider a couple of wall hung Besta Cabinets from IKEA with bronze doors

    Paint the tile around the hearth black

    NO MIRROR

    Select wall canvas for your art and perhaps metal/ceramic decor over the fireplace

    Stop buying small stuff




    noreen k thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago

    wow, this is awesome. i will do this for sure. it is a great and inexpensive fix . Thank you.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    My pleasure. Good luck

    noreen k thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago

    I love however it is you do the images like that. Here is what i have done so far. I painted the brick black and I took off all that trim on the surround (except the center star) and repainted it BM White Dove. I think it looks better, but still needs some help. Or maybe its just that i have gotten to used to the really beautiful pics on Houzz!!!


  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The fire surround looks great, get ride of everything next to the mirror, and on the floor in front and in the corner, EXCEPT for the vase. Go buy some fluid looking berry stems, greens for the holiday, ....and ditch the sticks.

    Lose that mirror for some ART.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Now that the brick is painted black, I think you need to replace the fireplace screen. For a more modern look, consider a flat screen with andirons or a glass door. The screen needs to contrast with the black bricks somewhat. I don't know what other finishes will work in your room, but here are how a few things might look:



    Simple wrought iron screen with wrought iron andiron sculptures in front of screen



    Simple screen in a dark bronze color with contemporary andirons inside fireplace. These can also be placed outside like the first example.



    Fireplace door in a cast bronze finish.


    Of course, there is also the first example I showed with the ultra contemporary chrome fireplace door.


    Creating these mockups took some doing because the original picture was rather skewed and the screen and other items were still on the hearth. So removing that stuff is a bit painstaking and I don't usually do it. If you really want to get some good ideas, read the instructions for submitting photos to our Free Fireplace Design Service and I will be able to create some excellent mockups for you to see which I can also post here.


    Greg Tillotson

    Hansen Wholesale


  • 6 years ago

    following

  • 6 years ago

    Greg - thank you. The contrast really is what is needed now. I actually thought perhaps i should have gone with a very dark grey instead of the black - this would have given me a bit of contrast too. These pics are a really good idea, thank you. i could even consider painting my existing screen with a metallic paint for contrast too.

  • 6 years ago

    following

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner