Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charmar77

area carpet advice

Char Martin
4 years ago

i am wanting to get 2 area carpets. one for the dining and one for the living room. i have been looking online. i need advice. i want something that has enough color under table that it will hide any stains that could happen. here are some photos of some ideas. i am open to suggestions.

Comments (32)

• kodiac23
    4 years ago

Your first picture is way too dark IMO. I love bevs last choice.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Buy rugs that co-ordinate or contrast, but not 2 of the same rug. I would also avoid shouty & obvious wide/multiple borders in the sofa area, because they are often hard to position in spaces like yours. Notice how BeverlyFLADeziner choices, all soft or no border rugs, unify the living space/furniture and you don't particularly notice where the rug starts or ends? That allows the eye to travel,amplifying the sense of space and flow. Plus she enhanced the colour palette. Darn, she is good!

In a dining area, it is usually easier to place a rug that has more obvious geometry like the ones you pictured. Happy Thanksgiving!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Thank you Hollybar for your thoughtful comments, and thanks for noticing the minimal borders. That can be important in a room that needs every inch of space.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

The DR darker rug makes chair legs somewhat hidden, and less busy... in open space I think that's a good thing.

• njmomma
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Following

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

its interesting to here you say they dont need to be the same. so maybe i can keep the one i have in the living area. Do you have suggestions of what would work with this area carpet? the dining and living area are one big area

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If a good blend with chair, this might be more versatile [for art and pillows]

Klimt Tree Of Life Pillow Cover Birds Teal Blue Toss Pillows Handmade Wool 18x18 · More Info

Loloi Avanti AV-01 Rug, Teal, 7'6"x9'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/loloi-avanti-av-01-rug-teal-76x96-prvw-vr~41399498

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

here is a picture that gives you a better idea of color tones

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

just curious if you all feel like the area carpet in the living room works?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

These various rugs might work with your existing area rug.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Your living room rug looks a hair too small. If it's 4' longer and 4' wider than the dining table, it could go there. It's kinda boring, though.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

From here your chair seems less teal and more emerald/hunter/forest green..?

KAS Eternity 1093 Ivory/Blue Orbit, Area Rug, 8'x10'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/kas-eternity-1093-ivory-blue-orbit-area-rug-8x106-prvw-vr~86779150

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Bashian Greenwich Hg365 Ivory | Rug Studio · More Info

CL936A Rug from Classic by Safavieh | PlushRugs.com · More Info

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

would this one look good in dining room?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks groveraxle. what do you rhink of pairing it with this one in the living area. i love the 2 carpets you posted. But i dont shop on houzz. im from Canada.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Your living room looks great and I love that you added the green chair into the mix.

Love this rug with your living room rug:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwinvO_huI_mAhUUpLMKHW89AT4YABBIGgJxbg&sig=AOD64_1dmeEEMKyAJqkBWGTaZvmie1Jlpg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj-pOnhuI_mAhURd98KHTrDCH8QwzwI3gM&adurl=

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Beverly, would you tell me how you cut and pasted Char’s living room photo?

I used to be able to do it, but not any more. My right click doesn’t let me copy and save. Thanks...

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i would love to see how it looks in the dining room!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

JudyG, you can't right click and save photos anymore. You have to do a screenshot. It's a huge pain in the patootie.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Here's JudyG's rug with your current one:

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>in my amateur eye
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i found this carpet. the photo isnt great. But its a high quality wool rug that is used but in perfect condition. 9 x 11.9 . It looks like the colors could possibly work with my livingroom carpet

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

That looks like a nice rug. If it doesn't look good with the current living room rug, you could always get a plain rug in one of the colors from this rug. I could see it paired with a plain jute or sisal or a gray shag.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>i havent bought it yet. we are going to look at it tonight. is there ant way you can cut and paste it under the table with the photo i have of the two areas? i would love to see them together.
  • Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thoughts?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I like the new rug very much and it's a perfect size. I don't think the old rug goes very well with it though. It's a little too cool. Something in a warmer tone would look better.

NAT623B Rug from Natura by Safavieh | PlushRugs.com · More Info

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

do you think this rug would look good with it? She bought it at the same place . or would a solid look better?

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

we have decided on these carpets.

• Char Martin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

almost finished?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Char -- the photo that highlights the blue art and blue pillows, I am drawn in! The mountain I think has the green of your chair.... nice, natural, warm.