Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_546951756

Redesigning Closet Space - Murphy Door Option

6 years ago

We are redoing our closet space since the current set up is an inefficient use of the space. We are considering installing a murphy door vs a regular door for additional storage/shelving - does anyone have any experience or pros/cons with murphy doors as additional closet space?

Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago

    It seems like a Murphy door might be a little heavy for frequent use? What would you store on it?

  • 6 years ago

    Supposedly the doors can handle 200-300 lbs, but I am worried that opening and closing it every day might become cumbersome. I'd store folded clothes and bags. Maybe some shoes.

  • 6 years ago

    I was not familiar with the term Murphy door so I had to go check out the info. You would need a fairly substantially deep closet for that type of door to work. Most newer closets don't have enough depth for that solution. My suggestion for newer closets is a storage rack of the back of a solid door that fits in the door jamb space. Most closets could use a rack about 4 inches deep possibly up to 6 inches. As the rack gets deeper, the placement and measurements are more important to keep from interfering with the use of the closet. That is a great place for shoes, accessories, purses, or other such items. For most situations, the Murphy door hardware would be unnecessary expense unless the space was specifically built to take advantage of the setup

    Missus S thanked Lyndee Lee
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Maybe give us a bit more info and pictures of your closet .

  • 6 years ago

    We installed a murphy door on a deep closet that doesn't get used a lot. It's a storage closet in our family room. I don't think I would use it on a closet that gets constant use.

    Missus S thanked justlol
  • 6 years ago

    @justlol thanks for the input! Why do you say that? Because the door is quite heavy, or perhaps something else?

  • 6 years ago

    The shelves are quite narrow, only 6-1/2" deep. We have framed pictures on the shelves, so we have to be careful and open it slowly so that we don't knock everything over. It has a latch at the bottom of the door, so it has a little resistance when you go to pull it open. If you pull too hard, the pictures will fall over. That probably wouldn't be an issue if you're not putting breakable items on the shelving. We actually really like the door.

    Missus S thanked justlol
  • 6 years ago

    There are so many ways to improve a closets function...posting a picture will allow other suggested options

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your input! I know there are a lot of ways to design a closet and improve storage. I've done a lot of research on different layouts and storage options already - there's tons of information online. There's less info on people's experiences with murphy doors specifically though, so that's why I posed the question.

  • 3 years ago

    @Missus S What did you end up doing?