Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_58471447

Rug help needed!

JS88
4 years ago

We recently moved into our new home and I’m having a terribly hard time choosing rug for our living room. It seems like such a big commitment! I would love some help with ideas (especially if you could include pictures.

Heres some additional info:

- Flooring, paint, and couches have to stay but we will be getting new lamps, sconces for each side of the fireplace, and new throw pillows.

- Walls are “anew gray” but are coming out a bit yellow in the picture. Couches are a neutral beige and cream.

- I’m open to neutral or rugs with color but I just want it to versitile so that we don’t end up sick of it in a year or so.

- We would need something in the range of 8x12.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Comments (16)

• JS88
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was hoping for since I have a hard time picturing things in the space. I’m liking the first one so I’ll try to look for something in that style.

Im still not sure about neutral vs color though... any ideas of a rug with color that might work?

Thanks again!!

• JS88 thanked A B
  • btydrvn
    4 years ago

I would suggest moving the couches closer to each other so one coffee table serves both couches if possible....this makes a much smaller rug work ...which will save a lot...your pictures don’t give a clear picture of the whole space...this makes it hard to be sure suggestions apply and relate to the whole space....

JS88 thanked btydrvn
  • JS88
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the input. We would love the couches to be closer together but this Is a step down living room and moving the couches closer together means they would be in front of the steps.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

Without seeing the rest of the room it's hard to suggest another color to add. I would keep the rug neutral and add the color in the art and accessories.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Cant imagine this room will ever work right with the couches so far apart...so the next option for a room you can use ...would be loveseats instead of couches...a better picture showing more of the room may offer other ideas...

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The furniture arrangement is awkward. So, there is no use in suggestions a rug until that if fixed.

So, could you please post photos of the other areas of the room, as well as surrounding rooms, so we get an idea of your style and any colors you are currently using. Thanks.

• JS88
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will try to get some better pictures this afternoon but here are a couple pictures of the room under construction. You can see on the opposite wall that there are 2 doorways and steps - which is what is causing the problem. If I move the couches closer together they will be directly in the way of the stairs. Any suggestions? New couches/loveseats is NOT an option for us.

The room is 21 inches long and 12 ft wide but about 2ft of the width is taken up by the fireplace on one side and about a ft and a half is taken up by the stairs on the other side.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

So, in effect, you have 8 1/2 feet of width to work with? 21 x 8 1/2?

Are the sofas the same or 2 different sizes?

What are the sizes?

• JS88
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Correct, it is essentially 8 1/2 feet to work with. To be clear though, the steps don’t perfectly line up with the fireplace on the other side - meaning there are some areas where there is a step on the one side but the fireplace hasn’t started yet on the opposite side so the width is more like 10 ft at those points. The couches could be moved closer together by about 2 ft each - and they fit width wise - but they are in front of the steps and it looked weird to me when I looked through those doorways. Does this make sense?

Id LOVE some ideas on how to improve this. Would adding ottomans and a large coffee table help by filling up that middle area?

The couch is 7.5 long and I think the loveseat is about 6 ft long.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

A sofa and love seat do not look good across from each other. I am sorry if you just purchased these.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Here is how I would set up your room. I don;'t know exactly where the steps are. This is using the love seat. The sofa will need to go in another room.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Some ideas of decor

• JS88
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the layout. The steps are more to the left, directly in the middle of the room with about 3 ft between them. The loveseat will still be in front of one of the steps. It would be shorter, of course, so if it was centered in the 8.5 width space, there would be 1 ft in front of the step and the loveseat. Is that ok?

• PRO
    Styldod
    4 years ago

@JS88 if you can share floor plan/ drawing with dimensions of your space i can create mock up with all your inputs, and its always perk to visualize your idea before implementing.