I hate my paint!

HU-874585772
last modified: December 1, 2019

I made an awful mistake with my paint choice for the new house. I picked SW Practical Beige, but it ended up having pinker tones than I anticipated when looking at samples! I hate it! And what makes it even worse is that the kitchen is a very nice light blue-gray (SW Light French Gray), when you walk through the kitchen and then go to the living room into the pink madness, it just really enhances those rosy tones! Most of the house was painted this color. We don't have flooring/trim/furniture yet, so I know it will look different when that's all done. So I'm wondering if I should have the painter re-do it with a cooler beige that will coordinate better with the blue tones in the kitchen - like SW Malabar. That will probably be at least $500-600 to re-do as much as he would need to. Or do I wait till the trim/floor is up and see how I like it (I just don't think it'll change enough, especially with that blueish kitchen color that will always enhance those pink tones). Or do I just try to tone it down with decorating (any ideas?). I really hate to be locked into decorating choices because of the paint.

I had a hard time getting the pink undertones to show up in the pictures. So these don't look as pink as it does in person (note, we don't have lights up yet, and it was an overcast day). It's pretty bad, right? I don't know what to do.

• jmm1837

Not a pro. I'd repaint in a heartbeat. A few hundred bucks to save years of regret? Priceless.

Lori A. Sawaya

I picked SW Practical Beige, but it ended up having pinker tones than I anticipated when looking at samples!

Paint colors don't actually have undertones. In your case, Practical Beige belongs to the yellow-red hue family and it has a healthy bump of Chroma (colorfulness). Between your description and the pictures, it looks like it's rendering true to its attributes in your space. Which means you must have a reasonably balanced (in terms of wavelengths source of light) and that's a good thing.

Because we know what we know about Practical Beige and its hue family and chroma, it's unlikely that other elements are going to influence it enough for it to not look so peachy-pink. Because, again, it is what it is.

I'd plan on a repaint and wait for the floors to be installed and maybe even some other fixed finishes like cabinetry. Because you need something to base the wall color selection on - if it's not a rug or furniture then fixed finishes like the floor will work.

I HATE THE PAINT! My loft is a Hot Mess

Also, don't forget to check craigslist and estate sales for barstools, art, accessories. You will get much better quality for reasonable prices. I am located in the NYC/NJ area and my son lives in LA. We buy everything from craigslist or ebay. When you install window treatments, install the rods at the terrace and the window in the living room at the same height. I would also change the silver blinds in the living room to bamboo or 2" wood blinds, both which you can find at Lowes or Pier 1. I, too, agree with Darzy on the color, as long as it's jut the wall behind the stairs, not the whole apartment. Any bright color will do.

I hate my counter tops!! What color do I paint my kitchen?!?

I agree with the previous post, paint the backsplash that same color as the other walls, leaving the only blue on the counter top. Since the countertop is a horizontal surface, and not a vertical one, and there is oak on the edge, it will not stand out as much. That being said, I would now take the same color in the countertop and use this as your accent color, think placemats, towels, and maybe something on the wall, especially over the dresser where the tree picture is. Put some type of picture with the same blue in that space instead. That way the blue is not standing on its own, but has some company in both areas, even patterned tablecloth which picks up that blue color. Hope this helps!

I hate satin paint in my bathrooms !! HELP

Go to BM Aura for bathrooms it has a matte finish and is for bathrooms. Tell hubby to relax

help my husband picked out paint colors and i hate it!

sorry about the duplicate post :( I was trying to figure out how to add additional pictures and didn't realize it duplicated. and my husband attempted yo surprise me with a renovation. he meant well I just think it's so dark I was wondering if I should just have it repainted with a different shade of toasted pine nut or keep it the same color all the way around?? it just looks boring. can the brick be printed over? I would love to get some focL point there like a teal of blue shade?
    JAN MOYER

Do OVER. It's the color of old lady panty hose in your space, in any space, because as Lori stated you see what it IS. WAH.. . I must ask......why beige at all considering the kitchen? Were you limited to a handful of colors by the builder?

Jan Moyer, I wanted a warm tone for the living room and staircase (it hs a large landing for a reading area). But still wanted a color that could go with anything. I used SW Grassland before but hated that the green limited my use of red in the space, so was trying to avoid that. The rest of the house was continued in just for continuity and because I was limited on number of colors to choose. Do you suggest something else?

BeverlyFLADeziner

Repaint there is no way to fix this and you will never like the current color. IMO your home could benefit from simply a more neutral paint color to be used throughout your home especially if your home has an open concept style.

JAN MOYER

You are in TWO palettes. VERY war,m and cool. Not going to work. A soft white, a very pale and warm gray - anything but what you have. Really. : )

If you want to use reds, very WARM colors in furnishings? Why the kitchen wall color ? What is the cabinetry in the kitchen? I think.................a big re think of your plans is in order.

What were the builder selections available to you?

That is my opinion too and honestly pink and blue belong in bedrooms for kids usually not in the main part of a house . Repaint and get someone to help you choose colors this time. It honestly will be worth every dime. French Gray can read blue very often in my experience . Unfortunately this problem arises many times with new builds you are forced to choose a color with no context all your stuff has an effect on color including the floors your furniture for starters.

Haka Inc.

in your locale when choosing paint do not give an example of how it will look in reality on the wall?

• Cheryl Smith

I totally understand. I would repaint. We bought a home a couple years ago that was painted all the same pinky beige color. It was too hard to get the pink out of my mind even though it was okay in some lighting. I chose to paint it a color from our last house that I knew I liked and went well with my furniture rather than trying out a new color. My husband painted everything. Our master bath is still that color because I know I want to remodel it. But it's been 2 years... that may never happen. In the mean time it's there to remind me how bad it was before everything was painted.

• Lisa

Cheryl: I too painted my new house in colors from my old house that I liked. Problem was that the new house had a different orientation so the walls didn't look anything like I remembered. I changed the temperature of the lighting in the new house and it helped a lot. I didn't repaint; getting older helps me accept things I wouldn't have accepted in my younger self.

I'm going to repaint. Thanks everyone for confirming that choice, my husband said he could live with the color the way it is, and I felt alone in this decision.

Off whites are very safe and I agree they'd look really good. I'm just not a fan of them. It's going to have to have a shade to it for me to like it. I was at the house while they were painting, and didn't have a problem with the beige at all. It was still wet at the time though.

I thought about using a previous color that I loved. I've had SW Bittersweet Stem and SW Nomadic Dessert in my last house and absolutely loved those. Practical Beige is very similar to both of those. I really wanted to play it safe with what we knew, but somehow ended up taking a chance on P.B. I think it's just the way the light hits the walls. We don't have grass yet, it's brown outside and that might be "pinking" it up too. I'm too afraid to go back to those previous colors though, since P.B. is so similar! They're too dark anyway for so much space.

I'm leaning towards Kilim Beige or Malabar. The Kilim Beige is lighter and really nice, it's one of their best sellers. But Malabar has a cooler tone in comparison and might match a little more with the French Gray in the adjoining room. It possibly could come off a little greenish-yellow though. I'm going to Sherwin Williams tonight to get a sample.

• Cheryl Smith

Even though I chose a color from my previous home to paint my current, it does look different. People that come and see my new house for the first time comment about liking the "colors" I chose. Except for the bedrooms it's all the same color. The shadows and natural light in the different rooms does make them look like a totally different color. It is valspar "smoked oyster". I used "kilm beige" in one bedroom and "nomadic desert" in another. I like them the "nomadic desert" best. They both were new colors for me. If I had painted the bedrooms first I may have chosen to do the whole house nomadic desert. But not only the natural light a room gets but the lights you use in a room can totally change those colors. Not the best picture but it shows how lighting affects the color. These rooms are both painted smoked oyster. Our sunroom with a lot of light and the living room with natural light only from other rooms

• Lisa

Both Malabar and Kilim Beige have more red than Practical Beige. Malabar is considered a yellow color and Kilim Beige and Practical Beige are considered orange colors. You may want to look at the color wheel for cooler beiges. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family#/family/neutral

• Cheryl Smith

New picture of same walls

JAN MOYER

Do you want to get stuck doing this a third time? I fear you may. This is a different home than the last. You didn't answer the kitchen wall paint question, either? Or did I miss that?

If you want a toasty toned home,.........the kitchen color is perhaps the REAL issue.

What is the cabinet color/stain in that kitchen?

Thanks Lisa, that's a good idea, I'll check that out!

Jan, I didn't see your question earlier. I don't plan to use red tones in the kitchen. I mentioned having an issue with Grassland and not being able to use red because that was my dining room color and I couldn't use red tablecloths in there.

Countertops are Azule Celeste granite (see photo- purposely picked something with a balance of gray/beige so that I'm not locked into one tone for the lifetime of my kitchen), cabinets are a dark umber, nickel hardware. Floor is a very light neutral tile. Dining room is an extension of the kitchen. At least at this point, the French Gray comes off more gray than blue in our home, the pictures make it look more blue than it looks in person. The kitchen opens to the living room via a 44" entryway, so it is not an open plan, but enough that it can't be a shock to go from one room to another. I was allowed to pick 2 colors for the whole house, everything else I had to pay $100 per color.

I wanted toasty, that's a good word for it. Going for cozy. I don't regret the kitchen color. I love that. I am certain that I just need to find a beige that is cool enough to still feel cozy, but not clash too much with the kitchen gray. Some sort of greige, though I haven't really seen one that I like. Fireplace is Stonecraft Laurel Cavern Ledgestone (photo), purposely picked a beige/gray mix so that I can change my paint color easier through the years. My fireplace isn't up yet, so I have no idea if my stone will be evenly mixed like this or if it will lean more gray or beige.

and go with cool or warm.

Twilight Gray, Anew Gray, Alpaca, or Gossamer Veil are now contending.

We have decided on SW shiitake.

Lori A. Sawaya

Shitake is a good one because:

Hue - It's less yellow-red (YR) and more yellow (Y) therefore less likely to look like old lady panty hose (Jan kills me)

Value and LRV - It's a smidge lighter and brighter

Chroma - It's less colorful, more gray and therefore more neutral

And Shitake is actually warmer from a psychological color temperature, compared to a bunch of other colors in the Munsell Color Atlas point of view.

HU-874585772 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Jan kills me too!

JAN MOYER

We of a certain generation, REMEMBER panty hose. Control top. FLESH in tone. It makes me shake over my coffee................: (

You had a run in one leg? Mom wouldn't drive you to the store? Answer? TWO pair, and you cut the bad leg off, and paired it with another that had a run.. Double shudder as you yank on the second control top. It's half the reason I loathe pink toned beige. I need no trips down memory lane lol as we struggled into that contraption in a steamy locker post swim and gym class..............the HORRORS stay with you. "Taupe.." It shouldn't even be in a dictionary, let alone in a can of paint!

Flo Mangan

OMG! What a descriptive scene to see first thing in the morning! I personally am happy when anyone moves away from gray! But now,Jan, you are hilarious and I will never look at any beige again and not see pantyhose and you! Lol

Lori A. Sawaya

and you cut the bad leg off,

ROTFL! I'm dead.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Jan needs her own TV show.

Lori A. Sawaya

I'd make room on my DVR for her.

JAN MOYER

Just promise me I can get rich and famous. Actually.... rich ? I'm good with just that!!

JAN MOYER

FLO? That was just as hilarious:) I hope Lori

recovered.....

Pantyhose make a very good tourniquet!! Tie really easily.......

• ngcurt

This is WAY off topic but I can’t resist...I cut the legs off pantyhose and used them to tie ice packs to (18 year old) boys’ faces when they had their wisdom teeth out. You can imagine how that went over, but it worked:)