Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Favorite Fancy Edges 2019

shive
4 years ago

Post your favorite fancy edges here: toothy, fringy, gold and gaudy, or popcorn. The next and last category will be Spots and Streaks.

Absolute Ripper

Bubblegum Delicious - I love the puffy popcorn edge on this one.

Judy's Jewel

Debra

Comments (47)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Debra, so many lovely blooms! Harder to pick favorites but Dearest Valentine, Spacecoast Night Vision and Judy’s Jewels are at the top. I love the color on Dearest Valentine and S. Night Vision. I’m still on the fence about adding toothy ones here, the only one I have is Buzz Saw.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Another favorite edged daylily is Here Lies Butch, it didn’t bloom last season, no photo.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Debra, I really like Dearest Valentine, Spacecoast Night Vision. SNV has great contrast. Sherry, I really like Sea Dragon. Again, great contrast.

I don't have many in this category.

Barracuda Bay is as fancy as it gets for edging for me.

Spiritual Corridor seems to fit the category.

These seem to be the only two that really fit the category. Two others are close, but don't quite make it. They are Jolyene Nichole and my first seedling.

Brad

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Uh Oh. This is the category I've been most dreading and also looking forward to at the same time. I LOVE edges. I'll post some of mine later, but more then likely there won't be a single daylily with an edge that someone posts that I wouldn't like in my garden.......I'm thinking that one of the problems with some of the more elaborate edges is that they can't close tightly enough just before opening, which then allows thrips and moisture into the bud resulting in blotching of the petals once opened. It's just a theory for now however. I still keep trying new ones - even though I'm full up in my little garden..............Maryl

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

A few to start with. Some of these pictures were taken before last year, but they best illustrate the peak of ruffles/fat/teeth etc. of that particular daylily.

Orchids and Gold (w/Sour Puss behind):

When Royals Dream:

Priceless: (my favorite combination - pink with yellow edge)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Maryl, those are all gorgeous!

Brad, I like Spiritual Corridor. Why don’t you show us your seedling again?

Sherry

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Now we're talking. This is my favorite category and all the posted ones are superb.

As you might imagine, I found it difficult to limit myself to just 10. So I picked the ones with the best pictures or the ones that are not very common.

I'll start with one of my favorites of the season--The Dentist. This is its second year to bloom and it performed well. It blooms later when most of the others are winding down or are gone.

Sihir came from Canada a couple of years ago and we are glad we got it. We love the fact that it is bitone with an eye and a nice edge.

Carnosaur is new this year and it did not disappoint.

Hip Hop Music remains a favorite with its double edge and eye. Its pollen is going everywhere.

Love All Serve All is very vigorous with good color.

More to come . . .

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Nan, I love Sihir, loved it when you posted it this past season.

Sherry

4 years ago

I don't believe Maynard Max is in wide distribution. It was hybridized by Greg Lough, a friend of ours from Darlington, Indiana.

Raggedy Man is one of our favorites. (Can you tell why Bob likes it?) It's a late bloomer that is quite fertile.

Weasel Teeth is another that is not in wide distribution.

Wickedly Wild and Wonderful does not live up to its published stats, but most from the south don't here. It does, however, survive and bloom every year. We don't have another one like it.

My last one is Laurelwood's Ankle Biter. I love this one. It's a small flower and it is being used in hopes of getting small-flowered toothy daylilies.

That's my 10, but I probably could have posted 30.

Nancy

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

I guess I have a few of these. I realized this going through my images . Oddly I like them but they don't hold my attention like the oddball ones. It is not a trait I actively seek out and most are not huge edges

Here is Stumbling Stone

This is Hanson's Trivia Pursuit.

This one is Alan Lane Agin

This was probably my very first fancy edged daylily . Here is Forestlake Raggamuffin

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

A few more but these although they have some edges dont have those huge floppy edges

This was a seedling I bought from a canadian hybridizer .

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

My last 2 images.

The above image is Lotus Position

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Signet, I like Glass Bead Game, such a nice color.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Nan: Laurelwood's Ankle Biter sure gets my attention. Not only is it pink with a yellow edge but it's a smaller flowered daylily. That's pretty unique. Another one that's interesting not just for color though is the Dentist. So many of the edgy ones are southern and bred to bloom early in the year. I'd like to see a bunch of rufflely ones that bloom late in the season.........Sherry: I always like Sweet Isabella. So pretty.....Signet: I don't know who John is but he gave you a nice seedling that's for sure...........Brad: Spiritual Corridor has called to me before. It's a really nice one..............Maryl

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Deb, what a great collection of white teeth and ruffled daylilies you have! I am particularly bedazzled by Betty Bush. Wow, it is like sparkling diamonds on a glamorous pink gown! LOVE! Your photography of it is outstanding. I think I am in love with all of yours that are posted above.

Sherry, Sea Dragon and Sweet Isabella are beautiful! I think that is one of the nicest pic of Lotus Position showing its edge that I have seen so far.

Brad, great clump of Spiritual Corridor.

Maryl, you have the best pics of When Royals Dream! I am so glad that you posted it again. Do you grow it in the shade? THe color and edge on your flower are amazing!

Nancy, you have the prettiest colored daylilies! Great colors on the Dentist, Maynard Max, Carnosaur, and Hip Hop Music. Those are my favorites from your pics.

Signet, I like your second group the best. Glass Bead Game, Playing with Sharks, Tennsyon, and John's Seedling are so beautiful.

Largest edge daylily for me is Quoting Hemingway. Though beautiful when it is good, its blooms tend to be splotchy. As it is a new plant, I hope it will improve next year.

Heaven's Majesty

Spacecoast Better Late

True Calling, posted before in the Eyed and Edged category is posted here because of its extraordinary multicolored ruffes edge.

Fangs and Claws

Some toothy seedlings of mine.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

WOW Karen. You have quite the selection of ruffles. I was really interested in Spacecoast Better Late because, for a change, it blooms later in the season. I noticed when trying to buy it that it seemed to be listed as "display" by quite a few vendors which usually means to me that the variety can lack vigor. Also, in my area, the Thrips are usually gone later in the early summer and that can mean less blotchiness. So how have you found yours to be?....................... When Royals Dream has that same issue - blotchiness. As to your question about it, since it blooms earlier I have had it out in our cooler late spring sun (under 95) until around 3PM and it did pretty well. Last year it didn't bloom, so can't report on long term stablility of the colors. It is a beauty in person though.............Your yellow seedling is dazzling. So many dismiss yellow, but I love it. Hope to see more of it next year..............Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Pretty seedlings Karen, I especially like the white with yellow edge.

Quoting Hemingway is lovely! It looks as though the edge is greenish, is that so???

so many beauties in this post, love them all : )

Sherry

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Maryl and Sherry, thank you kindly for liking my seedlings.

Maryl, I rarely had a splotchy problem with Spacecoast Better Late. Eventhough the name and the hybridizer said that SBL is a late blooming daylily, it is not the case for me. It starts blooming for me in July which is midseason. This year, it produces the best (bigger) edge for me than previous years. Being more established is a big factor in producing bigger edges. It is not a fast increaser, you are right but I would not say it lacks vigor. It produces consistent and nice blooms every year.

Sherry, I was so disappointed with Quoting Hemingway's splotchiness that I did not pay much attention to the edge or the flowers. The flower looks stunning in pics but it did not blow me away in person. I am sorry to say but I was not excited by its blooms. I will pay more attention to it next year and let you know.

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

does anyone else get frustrated with cell phones. I was in the middle of posting here and had to stop to deal with some things on text messaging . I come back and my post is gone . My fault for not submitting it I guess but I wasn't finished . Now I have to start over again . UGH! so frustrating

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Karen, good to know about Quoting Hemmingway, that is on my wish list. Although I have many that started out splotchy and were much better the following year. So many many beautiful edges!

Debra, I love Betty, and Dearest Valentine of course. Sherry, Sweet Isabella is beautiful, it is coming here next year. Spiritual Corridor is lovel5, and all those buds! Maryl, those are some major ruffles, I especially like the look of Priceless. Nan, you have a lot of nice ones, but something about that last one, L. Ankle Biter, really grabs my attention. Is it always so...tidy? The ruffles just look very neat and perfectly placed. Forestlake Ragamuffin is such a lovely color. Karen, True Calling is beautiful, but I love your seedlings!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Here are a couple more pinks to add to the mix. I love Pink Aloha, of which I've posted many pictures, but a couple of years ago I tried another two pink Buntyns to see if they could equal or better Pink Aloha. Heavy Weight Champion had a catalog picture with the fat just dripping over the hybridizers fingers. How could I pass that one up? It never reached that proportion in Oklahoma (they were in Florida), but it did pretty good:

Heavy Weight Champion:

The other pink was similar to Pink Aloha. It didn't prove as hardy unfortunately but was pretty while it was here:

Gone Fishing:

Maryl

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Oh I love this category!! I really really really like all those posted!!! I could not begin to separate and divide favorites. I have lots of these and every time one blooms I think it is my favorite until the next edged one blooms and that one becomes my favorite! Let me find some of my favorites!!

Stippled Stardust

Colby Coventry

more to come

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

Being that I live so far north in a cold zone, daylilies with elaborate edges don't open well here so I tend to just enjoy them in your photos. I do have a few but they aren't as extravagantly edged as so many shown here. I had Wonder of it All years ago and gave it away because blooms were a big, wadded up ball of sogginess because of the cool nights and mornings. It was a shame because the few that opened were gloriously beautiful. I have a few that have stayed because they are good little children.

KITTY BANNERMAN

HEAVEN ADORNED

FRANK'S STAR OF BETHLEHEM

LOTUS POSITION

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

SHORES OF TIME

BODACIOUS BITE

SPACECOAST FRANCIS BUSBY (new this year)

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Bluegrass Music (I also have Gilded by Grace and Here Lies Butch which are similar)

Arrowhead Princess

Gasping for Breath

I concur with Karen’s assessment of this plant

Last two on next post

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

A noid but what a plant!!!

Heartbeat of Heaven

That’s my ten. I have so many of these-it was hard to cull and pick!

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH

MOLDOVAN SEEDLING

MARQUE MOON

4 years ago

Bob said I should post some seedling pictures under his name but he doesn't remember his password. So I will post his under my name.

Chomp X Mitch Lynd--one of the toothiest in the seedlings beds

Chomp X Ruffled Strawberry Parfait--a late bloomer

Forestlake Laura Lee Harding X Bass Gibson

Horsing Around X Shabby Chic

Oklahoma Sand Burr X Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding

More to come . . .

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Lilykate and Celeste, so many more beauties! These are all so lovely. I’m going to have to do some serious thinking about what I’m keeping here, I NEED more fancy edges here!

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Glad Bob wanted to post his seedlings, such nice results!

Sherry

4 years ago

Raggedy Man X (Horns X Sea of Cinders)

The next two are siblings--Ruffled Strawberry Parfait X (Horns X Sea of Cinders)--both appear to be late bloomers.

Ruffled Strawberry Parfait X Sonoran Desert Rose

One of our favorites--Happy Holidays to You X Sea of Cinders

Susan Ruoff X Wolverine

Those are Bob's 10.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Kate: Although I generally don't like white base/eyed daylilies, I must say that Colby Coventry is gorgeous. ......Celeste: You do indeed have some nice edges. Kitty Bannerman is pale pink with a nice piecrust edge. So girlie girl. Anabelle's Blush also takes a fetching picture. I've had no luck here with Shores of Time after several attempts but it always is such a pretty one.........Great seedlings Nan. I hope you don't mind me calling you Nan so as not to be confused with our other Nancy. We had a wonderful family friend named Nan so the name is always written by me with affection...............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Wow, what a great bunch. I only posted 2, so Nancy, since you and Bob have so many feel free to take my 8!

Karen, Spacecoast Better Late and your 4th seedling are so very nice.

Maryl, Gone Fishing is my favorite of yours.

Celeste, Frank's Star of Bethlehem and Shores of Time are very pretty.

Kate, Heartbeat of Heaven is so nice!

Brad

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Kate, LOVE that big purple ruffle edge on Colby Coventry! That is just so gorgeous!

Celeste, i like your last group the best. ANNABELLE'S BLUSH is a stunner. Marquee Moon and Moldovan seedling are lovely too.

Nancy, so glad that you posted your DH's toothy seedlings. My favorites are the coral pink from Oklahoma Sand Burr X Lady Stephanie Victoria Redding, orange ones from Horns seedlings, and the gorgeous red from Happy Holidays to You X Sea of Cinders. I also like the bicolor of Susan Ruoff X Wolverine. Just fantastic toothies!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Since it's slowed down a bit here, I'll add my last ones:

Dixie Sunrise. It rebloomed last year and this year. Remarkable for my garden.

Mia Bella of Gascone:

This was a pleasant surprise as it's also a later bloomer:

Sweetest Name I Know:

Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Maryl, all three of these are beautiful. I'm not really into toothy ones, but I like fancy ones like these and others I've noted above.

Brad

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Maryl, I always love the Dixie Sunrise pictures-sooo pretty!! And you have lots more edge on Sweetest Name I Know than I have on mine. That is some ruffled edge you have going!

Kate

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Those gorgeous edges are just so majestic! The flowers are so elegant like they belong in a royal garden. Maryl, you will love the new intros from Floyd Cove! They have some with very large edge.

• shive
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All of these edged beauties are wonderful. It's much to difficult to name favorites since I like them all so well. I will mention Laurelwoods Ankle Biter since it's one I hadn't heard much about before Hoosier Nan posted it this year. I love the looks of it but wish it were a large rather than small flowered variety. I've gotten rid of most of my minis and smaller blooms and have even cut down on 5 inchers.

Debra

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Maryl, is the substance of all the daylilies that you posted above any good in terms of nice form and color until the late afternoon? I have been disappointed with so many new daylilies with beautiful faces but turn rather ugly by 1PM.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Depends on the temperature. I've found (and I think Debra will concur) that there are about 3 temperature levels that daylilies respond to: Under 90, 90-95 and over 95. We can already have temperatures over 95 during peak daylily bloom, so my climate is a hard one on color and substance. For instance I can't think of any pink that I've had with a fluffy/ruffly edge that doesn't/didn't pale somewhat from their start up color when the temperature climbs. They can still be beautiful though (think Pink Aloha). To show you how some of them can surprise you I'll show you two pics of one of my pink daylilies: Audrey Elaine Mccullough. The first time a bloom encountered our high heat (93 degrees 7PM) this is what it looked like. It was new and hadn't been told that this was unacceptable:

I gave her a severe talking to and all these many years later this is how she consistantly looks during the hot weather in the late PM:

Audrey Elaine Mccullough is now part of my permanent collection. It's basically trial and error, although more hybridizers now seem to be concerned with a daylily being sunfast so perhaps there's hope in the future for less error............Maryl

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Thanks for responding to my questions, Maryl! From your experience, I gather that for some daylilies, the substance for sunfast and heatfast does improve with the plant being more established. AEM looks fantastic! Much appreciated for the recommendation. How about Mia Bella of Gascone and Sweetest Name I Know, do they do as well?

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Got some time so thought I would post a few. Born to Run is really splotchy some years, but when it is not, it is beautiful

Enduring Freedom, not as much ruffle as many, but such a good daylily

flamboyant Diva

Parrots of the Caribbean

Ruffles have Ripples

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Those are all pretty Nancy. The color on Flamboyant Diva is one of my new favorites. A lavender mauve. Especially fetching with the white edge...........Karen: Mia Bella of Gascone does fade some as the temperature climbs. This is it when it first opened on a cool day:

Mia Bella of Gascone:

There's that darned blotchiness I hate. But it did clear up as it bloomed later and later. But also as it bloomed later the heat showed up and the color faded to what I posted further up the line. Still pretty to me as a lighter red then the blotchiness was. If it hadn't had a good bud count I might have ended up with just the blotchy deep red ones. A fair trade off If you have to have one.........Sweetest Name I know is colorfast and sunfast (sunfast to me = color PLUS substance as opposed to just color). I put it in full sun until about 5PM during our high heat days and it looked pretty darned good. If you don't get over 95 much, it should do exceptionally well. It's just those over 95 degree days that are a real bear for some daylilies to deal with. The only purple I've had that could take it and still look reasonable is Mary's Baby. Why I love that one so..............Maryl

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

I agree with Maryl about the sun fast qualities of Sweetest Name I Know. Mine is in full western sun, no shade. Temps are often high 90s and this lily maintains its color and substance better than any I have. Here it is after one such day.

Maryl‘s photo shows more edge and ruffles that I have not seen on mine.

• KarenPA_6b
    4 years ago

Nancy, all of yours have very nice edge but my favorite is Enduring Freedom. It has a captivating quality to it.

Thanks Maryl and Kate for your opinions on the above daylilies. I did not know that Sweetest Name I Know is an Emmerich daylily.