Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corey_snyder

Contractor put in tiles poorly. Can it be fixed?

Corey Snyder
4 years ago

My tile guy laid tile this past week and I started really looking at it and noticing issues. It’s not been grouted yet. A couple questions:

• is it possible to pop off and fix individual wall tiles cleanly and replace with strait ones? They’re part of a 12x12 sheet.

• is it possible to pull up sheets of the mosaic floor 2” octagons without damaging the $1200 Wedi shower pan? The 2 outside rows have more than twice the gaps as the inner rows.

• will these gaps show more/less when the grout is put in?

• if the answer is they can’t be fixed and will be noticeable, what do I do? What are my options?

Comments (14)

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Way more issues with the wall tiles than just the ones with pencil marks. The walls are a tear down and start over. And not with 'tile guy'. He needs to be run off the job & start over with someone who knows the trade.

You can probably save the floor by popping off some of the hex tiles and hand setting them.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Buying seconds quality tile and a “tile guy”, with no waterproofing. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I have to agree, it does look bad. Dont let him finish. Apparently, thats as good as he can do. It is a tear off and a redo. However a bigger issue, is if that is a shower, what type of waterproofing did he do underneath those tiles?

• Corey Snyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ci_lantro Why do you say the walls are that bad? If you're talking about the overall angle, that's my camera being sideways, not the walls being completely jacked. Here's the overall bathroom so far.

• Corey Snyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@cat_ky Curious why you say it's a tear out. In total there are like 4 or 5 crooked wall tiles. And 1 row & a few random crooked hexagon pieces.

• Corey Snyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's all WEDI waterproofing underneath with the WEDI shower pan.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

What's under the Wedi? Hopefully not more Greenboard?

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

The very firsts p icture you posted has many crooked tiles, the corners dont line up and the grout lines are not uniform.

• User
    4 years ago

You forgot the grout lines filled with the setting materials...but the corners are horrendous.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

OMG. That looks awful. Hope you have not paid for this.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

I’m a homeowner who has done 4 bathroom re-builds and has been on this forum for a while. This discussion thread is kinda confusing to me.

One person said it’s a tear out and do-over. Another person was talking about the walls. Another person accused the homeowner of buying seconds (which I have done, with my tile pro’s blessing, and she made them look like a million bucks). Another said there’s no waterproofing (how can you determine that from the OP’s original photos?)

I do agree that it’s bad that the corners/grout lines don’t line up in the corners. But your far-away pictures give a more complete perspective.

I hope real tile pros will weigh in and respond to your posting of in-progress waterproofing photos. The pros on here are always asking for those in-progress photos; good on you for taking them.

It’s so difficult, as a homeowner, to decide where to pick your battles. If the waterproofing is rock-solid, I might be inclined to except it and choose a very light grout that can mask those kinds of errors. On the other hand if the waterproofing is in question, or you know/have pictures that it was done wrong, it’s a re-do,

• Corey Snyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@HU-527663426 Thank you for your response. I felt that many of the people on here are just fear mongering and making things out to be a bigger deal than they are. Based on the photos and what I've seen of the waterproofing, it seems sound. The pan is a single piece and the walls are WEDI board with plenty of caulk over nail holes and seams.

• Corey Snyder
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@MongoCT thank you for your well written response and thorough response. We chose a light/grey grout for the subway tile and a pretty dark grout for the floor. At this point I think we're going to just proceed with things on on the floor tile, and fix 6 wall tiles and call it a day. I just need this bathroom to be done and don't have time to fire this guy and start from scratch.