Software
Houzz Logo Print
austinkisses2008z8a

Shade tolerant clematis in Texas

6 years ago

You gave great advice in early fall with clematis suggestions and pictures. I ordered, planted by my rose arches, and they are growing wonderfully. I look forward to spring. I have a spot in back of my north facing garden that is backed by a 30' tall photinia hedge. I trim the photinias each year so no branching extends over the border bed but shade is still my nemesis. The bed carries an arch leading to a path that goes behind the photinias and I am determined to find a rose that will might work in this less than perfect spot. My current attempt is Climbing Pinkie and a Hybrid Musk that are both trying hard to perform. I have gotten sportic blooms from the roses this past year but as expected they have been slow to establish. Growth seemed to take off this fall-winter when they were blessed with more sun so maybe more blooms in 2020. I am hoping that a shade tolerant group 3 clematis exists to provide a little more excitement to the spot. All advice will be appreciated.

Thanks BR

Comments (24)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hello there =).

    I have a Warsaw Nike clematis growing on 3 hours of sunlight in zone 7b. It is in an area shaded by a tree on the south/east and house walls on west and north side. Slow to get going but together with iceberg I think I am going to manage to fill this terrible spot. Good luck with your project and please report back any roses/ clematises that you manage to grow successfully in shady spots.


    Another vote for Venosa Violacea. This one is growing under this giant oak tree and only gets some late afternoon sun.

    My Roses and clematis 2018 · More Info


    Austin thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    I'm planting Venosa Violacea and Bees Jubilee in shady spots in the spring. Bees Jubilee is a group 2 clem, but winter takes them all down to the ground when we have a true z5 winter. Most clems will do fine in partial shade.

    Asao, Group 2, grows in dappled shade. 1st pic is truer color. I prune to the ground.

    Gurnsey Cream is in a lot of shade.

    Hagley Hybrid Group 3, gets quite a bit of shade.

    Prince Charles, Group 2 probably, but I prune to the ground.

    Comtesse de Bouchaud Group 3. Best bloomer.





  • 6 years ago

    Ooh, another vote for Asao. It is stunning! Mine is in more sun than VV but not full sun for sure.



  • 6 years ago

    Flowers, what fantastic photos! You too, oursteelers!

  • 6 years ago

    Flowers your pictures are very inspirational. Are you gardening in an area under pine trees? I have a circular drive surrounded by pine trees and I have been wondering if I will be able to plant roses and clematis there.


    oursteelers your Asao looks beautiful. I have one but it hasn’t done much yet. I hope it looks like yours soon.

  • 6 years ago

    Dianela this should be a leap year for quite of my clematis, barring critter interference. Fingers crossed! The above pics are making me think I need a Bee’s Jubilee!

  • 6 years ago

    Such beautiful examples everyone. Thank you for responding. Your gardens are magazine worthy and inspiring. This will be my first serious attempt to grow clematis with my roses. After seeing pictured pairing from Texas gardeners like BenT on this site I am revisiting my old belief. When I was young in Houston I was always told that clematis and bearded iris did not work on the Gulf Coast. Dallas has a different climate than H so I started ordering remontant bearded iris as soon as my bags were unpacked. My bearded fast became overgrown and reward me 2 or 3 times a year. I am excited to find that another plant, always admired, just might be a new garden gift. My site is too shady for bearded and my roses never performed as that pink beauty pictured so the most shade tolerant must be my choice for this location.

  • 6 years ago

    Dianela that Iceberg and Warsaw Nike is a wonderful pairing to my designers eye. We expect the pinks and blues and they have always been my fav but the white and the Nike really caught my eye. I love white in my garden and the contrast with the burgundy red is so fine. I have 3 Iceberg bushes around the curve of that bed that have become leggy trying to reach the sun. In your opinion would Nike work at the base almost as a ground cover reaching into the leggy bushes. Remember part of year only about 4 hrs of morning sun and my icebergs have never had the blooms on them in mass as your climbing version. I would love to repeat your pairing in that spot as it is currently not too great and I have been searching for a solution. I am really loving all of you and the great info I am receiving from everyone. REcently retiring from Design I really needed a place to flex my creative muscle and gardening has always been my panacea for everything. The retirement and being 75 is my excuse for the lengthy posting. So sorry for that.

    XOXO to all

  • 6 years ago

    Oh, I hope you do that! I can’t wait to see

    pics!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hello there austinkisses =),

    I think Warsaw nike would work great growing through your iceberg bushes. I think it is known for being a vigorous grower so that should give you very good coverage on your bushes. I am also growing rouge cardinal clematis with lichfield angel so I seem to like the strong contrast. I wish I had more ideas to offer, but even tho I have planted over 30 different clematis they are still very unimpressive. I would highly recommend purchasing from Brushwood nursery, their plants have a very large root-ball.

    Here is my first year rouge cardinal. I am hoping it will expand from lichfield angel to Earth angel which is near by.

  • 6 years ago

    Silver Star Vinery is also excellent. Great plants. Most of my clematis are settling in.

  • 6 years ago

    I really like Donahues. They are small but healthy and crazy affordable

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you Sheila and oursteelers for those two clematis place recommendations. I did not know about them, I'll have to check them out.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Sheila and Dianela.

    Dianela, I do garden under a lot of pines. Less, now that we had some removed. They're tall pines, so I figure some sun makes it's way to the roses, and it's light shade, rather than deep shade.

  • 6 years ago

    I ordered my 3 clematis this September from Silver Star. I have nothing to compare them to but Debbie the owner is super nice and helpful. My plants have really taken off. She was the one with stock and I did not want to wait until Feb to plant. I just selected plants from your suggestions but all were out of stock from Bushwood and on list. It is cold here now but we will get some 60’s soon I’m sure, this is Texas after all and our temps are all over the place. Can I plant now on a warm day or is it better to wait. , we always get snow, 20’s, maybe teens at sometime during winter, but rarely last long.

  • 6 years ago

    Go ahead and plant, Austin. Silver Star sent larger plants than Donahues and Brushwood. I think Brushwood increased their plant size and price since I last ordered. I used to order from Joy Creek and they sent large plants, but they were often the wrong variety. That has been a while and hopefully is no longer an issue.

    Austin thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Austin, this info might help.

    https://www.hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis_shade.htm

    According to this vendor, there is a clematis (Silver Moon) that will thrive in only 2 hours of sunlight. I'm not familiar with it, and can't recommend this company as I've never ordered from them, but they do have good info for cold zones, which you don't need.

    Austin thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    hi Flowers =). I have ordered from hummingbird farm before and their clematises were smaller than the giant one gallons I am getting from brushwood, but healthy and doing great. I have been wanting to try Silver moon, but it sold out very fast. Now thanks to the Donahues I will be able to get it =). They also have Claire the lune which is supposed to do well in shade.

    https://melissaclarkphotography.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/clematis-for-the-shady-garden/

    Austin this is a wonderful time to plant those clems! Go for it =)

  • 6 years ago

    Dianela, thanks for that link. Good info. I am fortunate that I've never had to order clematises because Northland has a huge selection, but they don't ship.

    If I ever do need to order, I won't use Hummingbird. I refer to all of the above for information. Also this site: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemalphasearch.cfm but they're not a vendor.

  • 6 years ago

    That was a great article and the clems were just right except they were all for group 2 pruning and I was advised that group 3 was a better place for me to start in Dallas. I am investigating some of the other items y'all (Texan for you and should be in the dictionary as proper grammar) suggested... I prefer to go with splashy or with white-light, being in the back of my garden subtlety fades away; either extreme works. I read that W. Nike takes shade so I am waiting for Bushwood to get it back in stock. It was confusing however as some links listed it as a pruning #2 and others as pruning #3. As I mentioned, I was smitten with its color with Iceberg ... of course colors change in different soils and climates so we shall see.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Austin some clems can be pruned as either type 2 or 3. Some of the type 2 can be pruned like type 3s to delay blooming to later in the year. Types 2 tend to be spring bloomers and type 3s later bloomers. My warsaw Nike blooms in spring with my roses, and reblooms in the fall also after being pruned to the ground by a bunny we can’t keep out of the yard. I ordered several clematises from the donahues yesterday since brushwood was out of stock. I included those that are supposed to do well in shade. I am going to plant them under pine trees and see how they do. I’ll report my findings next year.

    Austin thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    Have to ask is that a stuffed toy or a young puppy in your identity picture??

    if you live in zone 7 you cannot imagine heat like we have in Dallas . Even I was shocked when I moved from Houston. Dallas does get freezes and some snow every year so this may be why some clematis work here. Actually, it seems they can perform all over Texas. So surprising for me. But for good results rather than just surviving the clematis must be carefully selected it seems... those babies have to be prepared for 100+ temps sometimes for an entire month. I have Ramona and it has bloomed in spite of me. I did not know much about them when I bought it locally. I expect it to do better now that I am gaining more knowledge. Thanks again for all the advice

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hi there Austinkisses. You are right, here in north alabama we don’t usually go over 100 degrees. We do spend all summer in the mid to high 90s and 90% humidity. I am not sure how humid Dallas is but the humidity here protects our blooms at the same time it gives us all that black spot :).

    My identity picture is my sphynx Rangiku when she was a baby. BTW I love the pup on your picture.






    She is 8 this year.


Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz