Software
Houzz Logo Print
anncgavin

My family room - art, rug, lamps, other furniture.

6 years ago

I posted a similar request in 2017. Since then I purchased a new piece of art for above my new sofa and a new leather chair. Don’t love the art but I was trying (maybe too hard) to pull in the navy in my rug. What do you think? Other suggestions were to replace the ottoman with a round coffee table, replace the lamps with smaller ones or with a standing light, cover up all but the perimeter of the rug with a neutral one and replace the solid pillows with patterned ones. The room is very narrow and the TV is in the long wall, so the space is challenging to pull together.

Comments (36)

  • 6 years ago

    IMO I'd put the TV on the wall where the art and lamps are now, then have a console under it. I'd move the love seat to face the new TV location with it's back to the kitchen and maybe a sofa table behind the love seat. I'd get a round ottoman for in front of the love seat. I'm thinking your recliner, though it looks really comfortable is a bit big in scale to your space. I love your rug. The new art has very different coloring than the rug and clashes. BTW, I love your kitchen, cabinetry is real fine and that you brought it into the TV space also. Your fireplace and mantle is very nice too. It would be nice to have a couple more seats in the area, but depends on your needs.

    Ann thanked Juli
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hi Juli, my TV is permanently mounted above the TV and I love it there. I used to have the configuration you suggested, but the room is too narrow, the chair on the side of the TV faced away from it and the sofa impeded the traffic flow. We have to walk along the fireplace wall to get to the beds/baths. :( I appreciated your honesty about my artwork. I was trying to pull the navy blue out of the rug. The chair may look larger in the photo. It's actually scaled down and works well in the space. I agree that a round ottoman or round coffee table would look much better. Thank you!

  • 6 years ago

    How is the room used? Does more than one person usually watch TV?

    Ann thanked hollybar
  • 6 years ago

    My husband and I (empty nesters) watch TV and relax every evening in this room.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like the room and it seems to work.

    But I might trade out some extras.....a heavier looking end table for the recliner and a heavier looking floor lamp or if you keep the pharmacy lamp, lower it to cast light within the height of the recliner back; I think it should be lighting what you are reading.....the table looks like it could fall over and the lamp looks too light and tall. Also consider lampshades in a color to brighten the room and relate to the lovely rug.

    Consider removing the sofa table and lamps behind the sofa, and try an end table, small, between wall and sofa with a fun lamp and a simple floor lamp on end of sofa by entryway into room....end tables should be no higher than arms of sofa, or at least one inch higher or lower than arms. Maybe steel and stone and rather modern looking? Or a pair of pretty floor lamps with colored shades on either end of sofa and a round cocktail table in front of the sofa.....or possibly a waterfall lucite cocktail table? These are just ideas as I think the room looks basic and functional, but could use more stuff.

    Tall mirrors or art work above the cabinets on either side of the fireplace will reflect your open windows and bring in the outside trees.....

    A living plant/tree behind the recliner; if tree set on floor, if plant hang or set on tall plant stand.

    Add candle sticks and candles or hurricane and candle on either end of mantel.

    A softer looking piece of art, possibly more traditional? But if you existing art is your fave, then raise it a bit above the sofa; usually 5-12 space between top of sofa and bottom of art......center of art generally should be 64-66 inches from floor. Horizontal landscape possibly if you want a more traditional look?
    I added these pictures as examples of adding stuff to your room......the way the art is stacked on either side of the mirror could be done over the cabinets by the fireplace. The small items on the fireplace mantel is also another example of adding stuff....the small glass and brass cocktail tables are easily moved. The flowers on console could be the plant behind the recliner.

    Traditional Living Room · More Info


    Again tall mirrors, small pillows, small art work on mantle and small but heavy metal end table by chair.

    Traditional Living Room · More Info


    Matching floor lamps on either side of sofa when end tables would be too big.

    Easy-going Elegance for an Irvington Family · More Info

    Also each room has an accent color that is used throughout the room which would work in your room too.....orange is sprinkled through out the room in small doses in each room....you might choose any color in the rug and go with it.....be it cherry, coral, aqua, navy etc....but use it in small doses as seen in the pictures above.....sorry this is a novel, but just what I imagine the room could be with more 'stuff'.

    Ann thanked Susan Davis
  • 6 years ago

    Wow, thank you, Susan - wonderful suggestions. I could remove the sofa table but the sofa would be very far from the chair if I did. I like the idea of a side table for the sofa and buying a lamp and a floor lamp on the other side. Agreed that a heavier side table would look better next to the recliner and love the idea of a plant behind the recliner! I'm including photos of the walls on either side of the fireplace. Do you think there's room for mirrors? Also, here's a [potential replacement for the art above the sofa. I'ts 34" x 44" (Crate & Barrel) What do you think?





  • 6 years ago

    Ok can the art be turned horizontally? Either the one you now have or the pottery barn piece? Modern art doesn’t need a direction does it? Lol.
    Can the pharmacy lamp go by the sofa on the entrance side? Lower the lamp/ light part low to the sofa.
    Consider clustering the pottery pieces on the cabinets? They will relate to one another and have more impact.You might want to buy more and then tick in your photos in similar frames? Wood black blue white silver brass. Similar metal.
    Not sure about you s once height? Maybe matching small round mirrors stacked aka one of the pictures I posted.
    These are all ideas that come to mind. I strongly suggest you do only one wall at a time and go slowly. I also think the sofa wall should be first; lots o choices there! Listen to your mind and heart when it feels right. It will evolve .... plus Houzzers have great ideas!

    Ann thanked Susan Davis
  • 6 years ago

    Susan Davis, you're awesome. I have a traditional print I'm having re-framed that's horizontal (has a lot of orange and blues). When I get it back, I'll see if it works there! Love your ideas and I'll work on one wall at a time. Love the idea of round small mirrors and clustering the pottery. What did you mean to say - "Not sure about you s once height? The ceiling is 8 ft. Thank so much!!!!

  • 6 years ago

    I kept the rug because it's dark, hides dirt and would be expensive to replace (and I've always liked it). But even in traditional rooms on Houzz, etc. I no longer see dark patterned rugs. Should I consider replacing it with a neutral rug?

  • 6 years ago

    Felizlady, thank you. Yes, I lay down on the sofa or sit at the far end. My accent colors in my LR/DR/FR is orange and navy. I live the combo!

  • 6 years ago

    I moved this picture above the sofa, changed the pillow and changed the lamps (these are my bedroom lamps). You’ll likely still advise me to change out the lamps for floor lamps but in the meantime, are these better? The framed picture is hung 10” above the Sofa table but it looks a little high to me. Thoughts on what I’ve done so far?

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @Ann - I like this latest art selection as it brings in the colors in your rug. However, I might bring back the original lamps and see how they relate to the art now that you've change it. It may bring some more color to the wall. Have you thought about hanging drapery panels on the sliders. Not covering the windows at all, but hanging outside with just the leading edge along the window. I have the same configuration in my FR and have drapes on the sliders. It is an opportunity to dress the windows and add another element to the space. I agree with needing a more substantial table by the recliner and some sort of coffee table/ottoman in the center if it can fit.

  • 6 years ago

    following

  • 6 years ago

    I like the new art and the lighter-toned lamps. Design Girl had me looking at the windows, and I am agreeing that drapery panels just flanking them could be beautiful...maybe in the light orange color from the rug. I, too, love the combination of navy blue and orange.

    Ann thanked felizlady
  • 6 years ago

    This photo shows the new art (old art repurposed) and the original lamps. Keep them or get floor lamps? I would like to add drapes back into the room. I had them for years but removed them when I moved my rug from my LR to FR. Once my grandkids are bigger, I’ll add a round coffee table in front of the sofa. For now, I need it for a play area. I’ll keep my eye out for a heavier table next to the armchair and a side table for the Sofa. I gave up looking after I bought the Sofa as I couldn’t find one that I liked. There’s a heat vent that I can’t cover up. Thanks for all your comments!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Ann - I like those lamps better than the glass ones as they pull more color up onto the wall. I like this throw but like the other plaid one as well. I think you're doing great here. I love the built in's and TV above. The lighting on the bookshelves flanking the fireplace is very pretty. You have chosen a lovely English arm loveseat/sofa and the rug gives the room personality. Maybe two pillows on the sofa. Finding furniture you like and that fits the space can be a challenge. I too have a narrow family room (are we twins). Mine is 11/1/2 feet to the edge of the hearth and 12 1/2 ft to the actual fireplace box. However, my sofa is on the wall opposite the TV (where your sliders are). I think drapes would add some interest and understand waiting to get a coffee table until the littles aren't little anymore. I MIGHT put one small side table between the sofa and the wall where the doors are but I'm not sure. You wouldn't need a lamp on it (as the two behind the sofa work well), but maybe a place to rest a drink. The only other way I could see this room working is if you actually had two loveseats/sofas facing each other with a table in between but then your husband would most likely loose his beloved chair (and you just bought it). Keep up the good work.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Design Girl - I’ve got you beat! My room is 10 1/2 feet to the hearth! Before my kitchen remodel, I had my old sofa on the opposite side of the room. Unfortunately. That creates a very narrow walkway to the other end of the house (bathrooms & bedrooms). The pocket door to the foyer and back hallway is hidden in the photo above. I’ll reveal the site line to my toilet when I post my other bathroom. 😀 I agree I could use a side table next to sofa. I also considered a L table that could hang over the sofa since I’m right handed and am mostly in a vertical position on the sofa. BTW, is the art a little too high? It looks a bit to me.

  • 6 years ago

    following

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Ann - I guess you do have me beat by a foot. Funny though. I think the art looks fine, maybe a smidge too high. How far off the console table is it? I like the original lamps and the art work looks very nice with the rug. That's funny that you're mostly vertical on the couch. After all the running around with the bathroom, you should be vertical. They have some cute little side tables at Ballard Designs, but you could probably get something at Homegoods as well. That way you can try it out and if it's not right, just return it. A plant behind the chair was another good idea, but fake plants are dust catchers. I think I'd rather see some drapes. The room looks good.

    Ann thanked Design Girl
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I meant to say that I am almost always HORIZONTAL on the sofa!!!! This was my “lawn chair” the last two weeks. Here’s a photo of my sickly looking real plant that I keep on my doorstep in the summer. Does it add anything? I’ll plan ahead for drapes. I’m biased toward neutrals for longevity. I’ll keep my eye out for a side table!


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Ann - HAHA - Love the fancy lawn chair. A good place to be when not feeling your best. The plant does look a bit sickly. I can't keep things alive at all. Plants and I don't get along. I think neutral drapes would look best. Perhaps you can find some plain ones with a color you like along the leading edge - navy, or gray to compliment your rug. You may even be able to get plain ones and sew on your own tape if you're handy. That way they would still be neutral, but the decorative edge would add a pop of color.

  • 6 years ago

    The art is 10 1/2” above the sofa table. Maybe lower to 9?

    I agree I need more pillows on the sofa. I removed the navy ones after I changed the art. The long one I had custom made fir the living room and decided I wanted a plainer one.

    Here’s a side table that could work. It would bring in the brass from the light fixtures.
    https://www.ballarddesigns.com/clare-side-table/544194?SourceCode=BDSBT1&cm_vc=Popular Searches

    This is more fun than packing.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Ann - Looks like a great size and nice and open, but travertine is very porous, so I don't think it would be the best for drinks, etc. Something similar with a different top would work great. I HATE packing and I have to pack for my husband too.

    Ann thanked Design Girl
  • 6 years ago

    .

  • 6 years ago

    ..

  • 6 years ago

    You lowered your Pharmacy lamp! I like it; do you?

    It looks like you are using orange and navy/black for accent colors.....maybe bring in a metal in wrought iron as it is more quiet than the brass? And consider using black or gold frames for your personal pictures on either side of the fireplace.

    Check out fireplace mantel decor on Houzz to get design ideas for the fireplace area. Formal with equal on either side, or asymmetrical with same weight on each side but done in non matching ways.....you decide.

    Not sure about your sconce height, which I love the sconces; as they are a given, then definitely go with gold in the room for your metal. Consider frames in shades and textures of gold to pull in the sconce color, and try out brass/gold lamps with orange shades togive the room more punch....I have learned for me, that is I proceed too carefully I end up with a boring dull room, which was not what I wanted when I began......haha.....so keep up the gold metal lighting and frames and maybe a gold sparkly only one small pillow?

    If you do not want a cocktail table now, then invest in a pair of the very popular fabric cubes in Orange navy print, maybe or just orange tweed and see what you think....be bold first and then if you hate it, save the receipts and return what you abhor.....keep going, it is looking great......and I would lower the painting an inch or two behind the sofa just to see if it look more settled or not settle at all......love what you are doing....sofa looks so comfy.

    Ann thanked Susan Davis
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Susan. Yes, I like the pharmacy lamp lower....it's supposed to be that way but for some reason, my husband keeps moving it higher!!! I'll lower the picture as you suggested and address the other items you mentioned. It would be easy to find black frames. Unfortunately, the sconce boxes were there when I bought the house. The sconces are Thomas O'Brien and I love them. I also have a brass chandelier and brass/black pendants in my kitchen...the whole area is open now. I had some brass lamps but they looked Early American/too traditional to me so I gave them away. My cabinet hardware is oil-rubbed bronze so I could bring that in to. I have a large square ottoman that matches the house (a regret). I moved it (mostly) out of the photo because it's homely. The sofa is a Sheryl. When I sat in it at the store, I had to have that model. I'm posting photos of my adjoining rooms so so you can get a feel for the finishes. Thank you, again. I'm leaving on vacation then my husband has knee surgery, but once I have some new ideas, I'll post more photos. Thanks again!

  • 6 years ago

    These are the adjoining rooms for reference.

  • 6 years ago

    Really really lovely! Good job!
    Might I ask where is Hubs having his knee done? I had
    One. Done a few years ago. It turned out great!

  • 6 years ago

    Susan Davis - Thank you. Everything has been done in the last 5 years. Once we opened up the rooms, all the furniture had to be replaced. My husband is going to Tria in Minneapolis. They do the surgery at the clinic and we’ll stay overnight at a hotel. How is your husband’s knee doing?

  • 6 years ago

    Lovely home!! Have you thought of 2 small coffee table height tables instead of the ottoman or large table? Something you could move to where you use it and still have room for play area. And could still show off the beautiful rug.

    Ann thanked eageree
  • 6 years ago

    eageree - I hadn't thought of it but it's a good idea. A designer once told me I should have a big round one to try to tie in the chair that's far away from the sofa. You idea would give me more flexibility!

  • 6 years ago

    Love following your projects. Enjoy the beach and tropical drinks. Rest up - you will need it. I've been through 2 knee replacements with my husband.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, eageree - I have three posts going now! Not sure I'll be able to rest up much in Mexico as were' taking my son and family - 4 YO grandson and 16 MO grandaughter. Wer'e hoping to give the a break as the work full-time. But it'll be fun. I'm not sure what to expect as a caregiver for my husband. I think a lot depends on how much pain there is and no one knows that until after the surgery. He's having his other knee done in November!

  • 6 years ago

    Some words of wisdom that an Irish mother of twin teenage girls once shared with me - this too shall pass. At least with the second knee you'll know what to expect. I could write a book about the first week post op. You will have your Houzz posts for distraction. Looked closely at your wall paper - is that maps? How cool! Have you searched for it? Or something similar.