Software
Houzz Logo Print
slints

Fireplace makeover?

6 years ago

We have just did a makeover on our living room and want to know what I should do with the fireplace. I’m thinking about painting it white to match the white below the chair rail. I was also going to add a hearth to cover the marble on the floor. Someone said what about the dark brown to match the beam and crown molding. My wife thought to paint it white but having the top mantle part stained a dark or paint it brown. Or do I just leave it the way it is. I included a couple other pictures to see the color of the whole room.

Thanks!!!

Comments (22)

  • 6 years ago

    I'm not normally one to vote for painting, but in this case the wood doesn't really tie into anything in your redecorated room. I think it would look good painted white to match below the chair rail. The top could be stained or painted to match the crown molding and beam (I can't tell how they are finished in the pic).

  • 6 years ago

    I don't think the white would look good next to the tiles. I'd leave it or stain it to match the beam.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    before you paint the oak, is there any chance you could redo the tile surround and the hearth?

    if you just painted it white and kept your tile, it would resemble something like this:


    just a few examples,,,,since you have black in your room, maybe do some black marble on the surround and a solid black granite or marble hearth (with the mantle painted white)




    I especially like the black because of the black crown and black beam you have in the room. those stand out a lot because nothing else of black in the room ties into it. if you did the black marble surround w/the white mantle, I think it would help blend your decor.

    painting it a darker gray or even black, and doing a marble surround





    couple of photo shops to give you an idea




  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I like Beth’s suggestion to paint the surround a dark color matching or similar to your crown. Also, either pull your furniture onto the rug or get a bigger rug. Your coffee table is too small a scale for the scale of your furniture. So perhaps add another similar table or replace with big one.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Btw, easier to paint but do prep the wood for a good lasting job. Painting surround is much easier than replacing stone/tile.

  • 6 years ago

    I was thinking about something like this. The crown is a dark brown not black. Some of the furniture is chalk paint black. But if I want to replace the tile I will have to take off the some of the wood to get to it. They actually covered it a little bit with the adding of the hearth, then they painted the tile.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    My point exactly. Getting that tile out could open another can of worms. If you do a raised hearth you need a nonflammable hearth top. A dark slab of stone would work nicely. Just make sure to measure carefully to ensure you have enough vertical height under the bottom of the firebox and check codes for proper distances where you need nonflammable materials.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    You have warm and cool tones in the same space which is throwing things off. Your curtains, wall color, rug and furniture are cool, while your floors and fireplace are warm. I'd paint the mantle all white and change out the marble/tile surround. I wouldn't bother with a hearth, but just change the tan marble, to something more in the cool tones like a carrara marble or porcelain carrara look tile. I also think that when budget allows, I'd stain and refinish the floor to get rid of the orange color.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    One more thing. If you keep the screen, get fire proof spray black paint and eliminate the brass. But make it all uniform black.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Here's an option to consider. There is just too much small stuff scattered throughout for such a large area. Time to purge.


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Here is idea for handling drapery panels. Slide panels to far right and far left.

  • 6 years ago

    Depends on how much you want to change it. I've seen some modern use of metal as a border below the mantle, which does look great when the wood's painted a dark grey or slate: example


    If not, I'd say to try and match the paint to your beams and go with a white tile.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the tips. Not sure yet of what to do. But the brass turning black was always in he plans. Glad to see you all agree. If there are any other ideas let me know. I do have to do something with the tile. I hate it! Lol

  • 6 years ago

    Thomas. Do you have any pictures of metal being used. I like the idea but have no idea how it would look or how to do it.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    This appears to be a gas fireplace. I'm not sure you can really add a hearth like your picture without raising the physical firebox. You don't want to cover up the vents in the bottom. They are there for a reason.

    Even if it's a wood burning, it doesn't look like there is enough room underneath the firebox area to build a hearth without it looking oddly small.


  • 6 years ago

    FINALLY DONE
    Here is what ended up doing. My wife and kids love it. Thanks for the help.

  • 6 years ago

    Forgot attached pictures. Here it is

  • 6 years ago

    did you end up painting the tiles?

    looks great! nice job on the mantle too.

    down the road when you can, inset a piece of carrara or black marble into the wood, and redo the surround to match.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @Scott L - That looks SO GOOD. It's amazing what a coat of white paint does for honey oak. Love the updated tile color and painted inset as well. Great job.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I know I'm a bit late on this, but I thought I'd put in some additional mockups. I would add a custom made free standing frame screen with a fine woven mesh curtain to hide the entire fireplace. Throw in some andirons and you have a very appealing traditional look. You can open the mesh when you have the fire on.


    Here's how it might look with your mantel painted in the 3 options you are considering:



    Option #1: Painted or stained dark with a free standing screen and andirons in Antique Silver



    Option #2: Painted white with a free standing screen, shown without andirons



    Option #3: Painted white with a brown top and free standing screen


    These mockups are provided by: Hansen Wholesale. For those looking for ideas for fireplace screens and doors, try our Free Fireplace Design Service



  • 6 years ago

    Hansen,,,it's already done. look up a few comments

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County