Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What Are Your New Year's Eve Plans?

We have done this for years, have a cookout! So now we are planning our menu which does not change much. Hot dogs, hamburgers, baked beans, mac and cheese, spinach dip with Hawaiian Rolls, and some dessert and things. On New Year's Day we eat leftovers from the cookout. It will be at my youngest daughter's. What are your New Year's plans?

Sue

Comments (64)

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

We'll be home also. Scares me to share the roads with the once-a-year drunks. Since we really don't drink, especially since DH has been diagnosed Diabetic, going to bars isn't fun anyway. I'll make a plateful of munchies and fingerfoods then on NYD we'll have pork and sauerkraut. My DIL & all her family do the split peas, okra, greens and some kind of smoked ham hocks but ... Yuck. So we will go visit the grandkids for a while but won't be staying for dinner!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Alone (and happy. I'm ready for some quiet), tasty food, champagne, and burying money. The boy will be hanging out with other relatives. We've been having fun and will some more when he comes back, so no skin off my nose even a little bit.

:)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • User
    4 years ago

Enjoying contemplative peace and quiet hoping the new year will be less aggressive and stressful to all mankind.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • satine100
    4 years ago

I will be helping with the community new years eve party but hope to be home early. I don't mind helping but don't really enjoy the party itself.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked satine100
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I will be home alone. My husband is in Florida. I will be in bed by 7...watch TV before I fall asleep, but definitely that will be long before midnight. I have never cared about going out, and never on New Year's Eve. I will be snuggling with my cats...that is perfect for me.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked marilyn_c
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Winter, I met a woman who spends every NYE in meditation with her religious community, hoping for a more peaceful world.

We'll have friends over. We'll have some hors d'oeuvres and then a fondue (meat.) Dessert is a buffet of petits fours and pots de creme.

At midnight, Champagne is poured over a piece of gold into everyone's glass and all the faucets in the house are turned on for a few moments. And everyone wears new PJs.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

Zalco, that sounds like fun.

We've outgrown the late parties on New Years. For years, we went to the same local party at a downtown club with many of our friends. Drinks, dancing, and NO FOOD. We 'outgrew' watching football with a headache the next day ;0)

We will go out to dinner early, home early. Not likely up until midnight, although DH will wake to fireworks. I don't.

New Years Day we will have a prime rib here, just us, no guests for a change.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

We have been going to the club we belong to. It is close. This year they are just having the party in the club room instead of the banquet hall. Very casual. DJ, buffet and champagne at midnight. I highly doubt we will stay till midnight though. Before we moved we would go to the shrine. Evening gowns and tuxedos or suits. It's 22 miles away and with not knowing what the weather will bring we stay local now. New Years day dinner will be the Sunday after when all my gang can get together. Kielbasa with homemade kraut, country ribs, pierogies and coleslaw.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked functionthenlook
  • desertsteph
    4 years ago

home with my pup watching tv. don't go out on NYE anymore - it's been several decades since I've done that.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked desertsteph
  • User
    4 years ago

Zalco...throughout my many years I've lived all over this country and some places outside of it. I've always enjoyed getting up in the morning...greeting the day...no matter what it held for me. I never dodged a challenge. Felt honored to have been gifted with an inquisitive and very active mind. These days, I get out of bed in the morning and just shake my head at the world I see and hear around me today. Somewhere along the line in the last few years, IMO, we've [collectively] really made a mess of things. I'm just one small voice but maybe...with a little luck and earnest endeavor...my thoughts and hopes will echo to others. Maybe the old adage "lead by example" isn't dead yet.

Your NYE sounds absolutely delightful and if I still had my cherished old friends and husband...I can't think of a better way to spend the evening. Happy New Year! I'll make it 'til midnight in my quiet fashion but your evening sure sounds warm and enjoyable. ;-)

Would you kindly explain your ritual...running water, etc. I'm intrigued!

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I will be saying rabbit rabbit at midnight and right after midnight I will be saying Happy New year and clanging pots and pans. As others here do I will also be toasting the new year with champagne over a piece of gold. Of course I will bury some money as well.

What funny things we have as traditions though. I laugh at myself when I say these things.

Here's a link that tells some of the beliefs and the reasoning behind them.

https://blog.atlastravelweb.com/special-interests/festivals-2/new-years-traditions-and-superstitions/

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked yeonassky
  • Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

Just like every other night, I will be cuddled up on the sofa with my DH and our dog. We’ll watch Anderson, kiss at midnight and toast the new year in with apple cider.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Lukki Irish
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

At some point we, DH/me/the neighbors became "the old folks" of our neighborhood. We gather for games and nibbles. Everyone brings one sweet one savory. I need inspiration yet. The young folk will be off to their homes and parties by then. It's nice to be with people, not have to drive, and make some new memories.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    4 years ago

Going to an early New Years party (start time 6 PM), perfect for all us old folks. I'll be home by 9.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Gargamel
    4 years ago

I lived in The Netherlands for 14 years (because I met a Dutchman on a bus in Luxembourg and married him 35 years ago- lol.). We live in Canada now, but have some Dutch New Years Eve traditions. I always loved the way NYears Eve was family focused over there so ours have always been focused on home, friends and family. We invite our longtime friends (and sometimes neighbours/ relatives who aren’t doing anything) over for dinner. My husband will spend the day perfecting his “olliebol“ recipe and whip up a batch of oliiebollen. After dinner we bring out the Sjoelbak and play that, with drinks and dancing music. At 12:00 we set off fireworks (we live in a rural area) . if it’s nice out and not too cold, we’ll have a bonfire as well. I love New Years Eve!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Gargamel
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

We have a tradition of celebrating with good friends that live around the corner from us. We go out to a nice dinner, then back to one of our houses for dessert.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked eld6161
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

We usually stay home, but this year we are out of town. Were going to walk to a local brewery to have dinner and a beer. The plan was to walk back to our hotel after that, but last night we ran into a local we know and he invited us to a party being held at the loft studio of a local artist so are going to pop in there after dinner. The only requirement to get in is to wear a crazy wig, so I'll be on the hunt over the Next few days. I was thinking about buying a couple of baseball caps and attaching various colors of curly ribbon to them.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • chloebud
    4 years ago

We live close to Pasadena. One thing I've never understood is the appeal of spending NYE and all night on the Rose Parade route. Hoards of people cold and miserable for hours and hours...for a parade. Ugh.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked chloebud
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

Hmmm....we spent a NYE with friends in Pasadena one year within walking distance of the parade route. We just went out in the morning a bit before the start and found perfect viewing locations!! Might not have been as perfect for shorter folks/kids but it sure wasn't necessary to camp out all night.

And 'cold' is relative........might be chilly and miserable for California residents but to much of the rest of us, it was what we consider balmy!!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Gargamel
    4 years ago

It’s interesting what I don’t have a clue about. I had to look up the Rose Bowl Parade, because I had no clue what it really was. So on to wicked pedia I went and read a bit about the history of the parade. Then I looked for the winning float in 2016 -East Meets West. Wow! They only show pictures of when it’s sunny out though - not cold, wet and miserable -lol

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Gargamel
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    4 years ago

New Year's Eve will be spent at home, we will more than likely be in bed before midnight.
    Will have family over for New Year's Dinner which will be a very Southern New Year's Day Dinner.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

I'm working that night. And having PT before, or torture...now that they are zeroing in on my lower leg muscles. 15 or so minutes of torture while they massage it.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

I am sure, I am getting Happy New Years greetings way early... as I have a sister in Australia, and also a brother and sister in Germany... but my phone will be off, and I will be in bed before 11, I think.

Time will tell. ;)

Moni

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OklaMoni
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

If I fall asleep earlier, I set the alarm so we can get up and watch the ball come down with a glass of brandy. Then we say "rabbit rabbit happy new year!"

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Winter, What a beautiful statement, I never dodged a challenge. Felt honored to have been gifted with an inquisitive and very active mind. I believe firmly that our intentions and actions radiate out into the world. We only have power over our own actions, but those actions can ripple out beautifully. There is an Instagram account I follow called Tiny Kindnesses (@tinykindnesses) that chronicles and shares moments of generosity between people, often strangers. It is quite heart warming, and encouraging.

I am so sorry you do not have your dear husband or special friends with you. I pray you feel their love and comfort.

As for our traditions, I think turning on the faucets represents an out with the old, in with the new idea. Maybe water stood in pipes in the old days?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

We have a couple of neighbourhood friends who are in a local band. One is the drummer (in real life he is a chiropractor) and the other is the lead singer (in real life she is a property manager) and they are playing at the local pub. Se we're going there with a bunch of neighbourhood friends. We'll be home by midnight.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked blfenton
  • Michele
    4 years ago

By the time NYE rolls around we’re wiped. Thanksgiving, my husband’s and our three children’s birthdays, then Christmas. )

We eat a simple dinner, I have an after dinner coffee so I can stay awake. We listen to records. Have a little bubbly and just relax. This year it will be “rabbit, rabbit, happy new year!” at midnight I also will be adding the burying the money tradition into the mix I just read about it and mentioned it to my husband. We never heard of it before.

As is our custom, I cook a big meal on New Year’s Day so I’m taking it easy on the 31st.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michele
  • User
    4 years ago

As for our traditions, I think turning on the faucets represents an
    out with the old, in with the new idea. Maybe water stood in pipes in
    the old days?

Thank you, Zalco. I rather like that and its symbolism. The water where I live is rather questionable potable wise. Maybe...if I adopt your custom it'll improve. It certainly can't hurt. :-) It sits in very old and I suspect...dirty pipes. It needs a little jostling. Plus...I think Mother Nature has the same thing in mind. A chilly/icy downpour is forecast for NYE. It'll be a night to sincerely appreciate dry, warm, snugly spots.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    4 years ago

Nothing special in the evening or on New year's day. Planning to lunch with some friends from high school on Dec 31, an early New Year's celebration for us old ladies

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

We don't go out either. We will watch TV. Have some Asti because I can't drink champagne. Hopefully remember to rabbit rabbit ! And happy new year. And of course I will have buried my money. I might need to make a list lol.

I will have friends over earlier for our New Years eve meal. Ham, black eye peas and Cabbage. I have a corned beef brisket to cook for New Years day.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

Phoggie I am so sorry for your loss. What a terrible time it must be for you.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • pudgeder
    4 years ago

Having Christmas with our family. (finally)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked pudgeder
  • jemdandy
    4 years ago

We will be going to a friend's house. He has a video theater set up in his basement. Its a professional 3 gun projector and 10 ft screen with a good sound system. He has installed seats from a movie theater that closed. The night begins with plenty of different types of pizza, salad, popcorn, and sodas.

It is also a fund raiser. Attendees make volunteer donations, and the proceeds will be sent to our religious organization. We'll watch a couple of movies, and then switch to the "ball drop" in New York". There is an intermission between movies at which time some of those with young children (and others) may choose to leave. The first movie is "how to train your dragon". Throughout the year, this event normally attracts 30 to 40 people; more is expected on New Year's Eve.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked jemdandy
  • Susan Tencza
    4 years ago

For the first time I have a hair appointment tomorrow . . .going to get glammed up! Dinner is in the Wine Cellar of Angus barn (2 rooms 1 seats 22 the other 24) Multi course fine dining and wine, but we are in the early seating (5:30) then on to a friends house for Live Music and dancing to Midnight with some friends of my hubby -- They might have a bit of a shock as the music will be good but the crowd is a very mixed bag. Food and wine flow freely there. This year for the first time I am not making food for the party, I sent over a ton of paper products, some wine and soda. The hostess walked out with 2 huge boxes of stuff including extra plastic champagne glasses (20 of them). the crowd ranges from 30 to 70 in numbers and ages LOL!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Susan Tencza
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Hubs has been gone a week and a half, visiting his family. He'll be home New Year's Eve. I've been lurking this thread trying to think of cool ideas to make his return special. He doesn't like sparkling wine . . . but I'm getting him some good cognac. Gonna make lobster tails for dinner. Not sure what else will be fun. Would like to watch something uplifting on TV. We'll exchange gifts but I'm not enamored of my selections this year. We go a flat screen so everything else pales in comparison . . .

I've had some epic New Year's, but as I get older, being with loved ones means the most to me. So I'll be with my most loved, but I hope some time in the future I can grow the circle a little larger once again . . .

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked l pinkmountain
  • happy2b…gw
    4 years ago

So far NYE is going to be very low key. DH and I are at our riverhouse. Husband is replacing the ceiling in one of the bedrooms, and I will assist as needed and engage in some other activities to keep me busy. Besides the usual organizing, I have a few craft projects I would like to work on. It would be great if I read the book that I have renewed at the library 2x. In the evening, we plan to grill a couple of ribeyes, watch TV, bury the money, and see the ball drop in NYC if we are awake.

Sue, a cookout sounds fun. I enjoy learning of everyone's plans.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked happy2b…gw
  • bcskye
    4 years ago

Plan on doing the same thing my late husband and I did every year for 42 years, stay at home. We were married on December 29, 1973 and on the first New Years Eve we decided we would stay home every year and bring it in with a kiss, a mutual "I love you" and, of course a bit of wine. This year it will be my furkid, Zara, and. I and we probably will go to bed early.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bcskye
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

Hugs to you Bcskye!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Phoggie and bcskye, hugs to both of you.

Decided to make a lasagna tonight. Just pulled 2 loaves of Italian bread out of the oven. Nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread. And I've already gotten the mess all cleaned up. Just waiting for the bread to cool enough to cut. Gotta make sure it's edible, you know! LOL!!!

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Late lunch, early dinner with a group of friends, then going to shoot pool and play Keno. Of course a few cocktails will be in there as well. We will be home by 7-8pm. Asleep by 10pm. Perfect afternoon and evening.

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

We always attempt to stay up and drink champagne. I forgot to get some but I have some unopened Prosecco and I don't mind substituting. Then we sleepily blink at the idiots out in the freezing weather in NYC, glad that we aren't one of them. We try to listen to whatever music is going on, look at each other and say "who are they?". Usually wind up channel surfing to see if there's anything going on that we want to look at, (not) then we crash like we've been out partying all night.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

A quick zip through Times Square. Helps to wear double 'depends'

kill some time re-fueling street snacks... whale sashimi

Back flips and dancing ...till sunrise

Water taxi to ConeyIsland for a brisk dip. Need that fresh wake-up.

The best snack

Liar...we did that years ago in youth... with nutty friends.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    4 years ago

Was invited to a party with fellow musicians, but it's cold and blowing snow tonight. I didn't want to drive clear over there and up a winding steep hill to the house. The salt trucks have been going up and down the highway.

So, I'll probably watch the ball drop on TV like I always do. Need to remember to plug in the crock pot with the pork loin and sauerkraut before I go to bed. It will be done in time for my lunch tomorrow. I like when the meat is falling apart.

Happy New Year to everyone, be safe and see you next year!

ETA: I didn't stay up to watch the ball drop, first time in many years. Went to bed with a crossword puzzle around 11:34pm., heard a couple of guns go off in the area at midnight.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

LOL, sleevendog. Here, we're doing nothing, just like always. I owned a bar/grille for many years with my ex-husband, and I've had all the New Year's Eve party one person needs for a life time.

I just tell everyone that mentions it that New Year's Eve is for amateurs, LOL. Mother is having her nightly glass of wine and we're watching the news, she'll be in bed by midnight and as soon as the news is over I'm turning the TV off.

Annie

• Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

One person did the countdown to midnight at work tonight. I brought in a couple leftover dishes from our Christmas dinner on Monday. I left some trifle for my son to eat before he drove back home but he didn't eat it. It's good but I have too many sweets in the house right now. I'm glad I took the rest of it to work.

I shopped, cooked and baked all afternoon and night on Sunday and then got up and finished cooking and cleaning before our dinner. My back and neck were hurting so bad since Sunday night that I'm seriously thinking of having next year's dinner at a restaurant. Been going to PT for over a month now and all the back and neck pain I got rid of are back. ) :

• Susan Tencza
    4 years ago

• Susan Tencza
    4 years ago

• Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

Susan, WOW, just beautiful. Now I'm kind of sad I didn't celebrate in a big way. Good for You.

4 years ago

Susan, what a gorgeous table! You and your sweetheart look perfectly festive- surely a night to remember.