Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aclb1

would this rug look good in my space?

AC LB
4 years ago

I’ve spent years looking for the perfect rug for my dining room. I stumbled across this rug at pottery barn and love it, but I’m not sure if the colors would work in my space. What do you think?

Comments (46)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Is it actually large enough? IMO not going to work with those drapes for sure , I think the rug you have works better with the drapes. I can’t tell about the wall color but just make sure that color is in the rug somewhere.

• User
    4 years ago

I think it's very pretty, and it seems to work well with all of your existing elements. I would caution you to SNIFF it before buying it, though. PB rugs had a notorious problem a few years back of stinking to high heaven (a migraine-inducing stench you could never get rid of), but hopefully they have remedied that issue by now. Still - smell it to be sure.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you ladies! Patricia I would be purchasing the 9x12. My current rug is an 8x10. I think the colors are more of a pinkish, gray, and ivory. My walls are latte. The other rug I was looking at looked great in online pics, and for the most part had 4 1/2 stars, but after reading a few of the bad reviews I decided not to purchase it. Here is a pic of the other rug I was considering.

• User
    4 years ago

Looks like you have two threads going about this rug. Best to keep one or the other active, but not both as it gets confusing.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I think color wise would definitely work. Recalling your previous thread, you were concerned with size and if the medallion being covered by table would bother you.

I think it's pretty similar to the one that you were considering -which I thought was terrific. ( I read though that a few reviews had some bad feedback on it.. I think if the overwhelming majority is favorable, it would be fine.). How do the 2 compare price-wise and does it matter?

And, don't feel bad about not deciding right away. I am toying with bringing back a thread I started over a year ago and for which I taken no action but NEED to. :)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I think it works very well.

• maureen214
    4 years ago

Color is always hard on a screen but I think it would work very well with what you have, including your drapes. I love that feeling of finding the “perfect “ thing when I have given up looking for it. Go for it!

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

I would also advise against current Pottery Barn rugs - not only the "aroma", but the shedding/pulling. We have a 6 month old wool one, the Adeline, and it already looks 10 years old. It replaced a 22+ year old one, also from PB, that held up much better.

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

I was just at a Pottery Barn store and the rugs are still stinky! I believe it is the synthetic dyes used, and it will NOT go away.

• reitz02
    4 years ago

I have 2 Adeline rugs and do not smell. Three wool PB rugs that shed!

• salonva
    4 years ago

Where's that uh oh emoji when we need it.

• lisaam
    4 years ago

Pretty, pretty-- I hope it passes your sniff and shed test.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would anyone be able to do a mock up for me? I’d love to see it before I purchase it. Given the two rug choices, which do you think would look better in my space?

• Jilly
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I was able to do this one, but not the PB one (can’t find another rug site that carries it) ....

This one below is still my favorite. ;-)

(I’m just teasing, I know you’re drawn to brighter colors.)

ETA: You probably saw this on the PB site, someone shared the rug in their dining room. Gives a bit of an idea ...

ETA again ... I was on another rug site (I’m looking for a bathroom rug) and this one made me think of your room, Ignore me, I just like playing around with rugs. :D

https://www.cb2.com/iman-natural-faded-rug/f18103

• Steph H
    4 years ago

I like the PB one, it’s gorgeous. I think it goes well with your style. I hope it doesn’t have the smell issue- I had no idea about that.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jinx, thank you so much for the mock-up!! I love your selection of rugs...especially the light blue one! Steph, thank you for giving me the encouragement I need to go forward with buying the pottery barn rug! Pottery barn rugs are always beautiful and worth the price! This one happens to be on sale!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Good choice. Rug odors do not bother me and I have never heard complaints about PB rug odor. But, each person is different.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Now if someone could help me convince my husband that we need a new rug!
  • PRO
    Home & Decor Hub
    4 years ago

Its Christmas time! Of course You need a rug , its a rug time and right moment!

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Home &decor, I like the way you think:).

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

If that is an issue......you might consider removing the current rug.....too small. Better no rug than that.

Then, I would change what is above the china cabinet. Would the cow fit there? It does not work in its current space. In that space where the cow currently lives, I'd put nothing or a long, narrow piece.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have tried to convince my husband to part with his beloved oppressively dark and heavy mirror... with no such luck! I’m still working on it! My goal is to replace the rug with a brighter bigger one that livens up the space, replace the end chairs with upholstered chairs, and to replace the mirror to a lighter one or a painting like Bessie the cow or something similar. My husband needs to be eased into the change, so I’m doubting it one step at a time:).

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

With no cost, Bessie can waddle over to the chest and plop herself in front of the mirror. See what reaction you get.

The mirror does not appear to be reflecting anything interesting and might be able to be utilized elsewhere. Can we see the other side of the dining room please?

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha! I will move Bessie today:). Here are more pics of the dining room. The last picture is a drawing of the lake we live on that was drawn and signed in 1903. It as just gifted to us on Christmas. I’m not sure if that would work hung vertically where Bessie currently is.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The only thing I’m not crazy about is it is one more brown thing in my room that lacks color.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Right.....you will find a place for that map. What a cool thing to have! I don't think it is long enough anyway.

You live in the finger lakes. I lived In Rochester for 2 years and have so many great memories from there!

I used Bessie in a staging I did over the summer. The house is in the country in Denver area. She is inexpensive and brightens up a room.

Bell Staging FINAL · More Info

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What a small world! Thank you so much for your input cdr! You always have such great ideas. I love Bessie and she definitely brightens any space she’s in! I love your work! Do you think the lake drawing would look good above my sliding doors?

• jay06
    4 years ago

I don't think it would make sense to put the map above your sliding door. Particularly with older maps, people like to look closely at them and note landmarks. It's part of the attraction of having a map displayed.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks AC LB. Very kind of you.

No, I would not hang it above the doors. You already have one high sign, and as jay said, people want to look at it.

Keep looking. It might be something that sits on a table....flat. What is the size of the framed map?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I also would rethink the rug.....looking in your ideabook, I think it is too traditional for you.

If Bessie works in the dining room, I'd pull in some more blues in there. Is the dining room table used everyday or is it more for guests?

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well it’s funny you mention that! I mistook the rug for a different pottery barn rug I saw in the store. When I went to purchase it, I noticed it was a final sale item. I’m not willing to buy it without seeing it in person. So I’m back to square one. I am somewhat relieved because as you said it was a little too traditional. I will keep searching. In the meantime, I might buy the hillsby rug to see if it would look good in my space. The online pictures look great... I just hope it looks as good in person! I can always return it if I’m not happy with it. I’ve included pictures others have posted on the reviews.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a dining that mostly gets used when I have guests.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

*dining room

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I think that rug is too busy with the drapes and still leans a little formal.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Before you sell your vision to your husband, you might want to get a clear vision for yourself. You live on lake and have some farm/lake/rustic stuff going on. You also want some color, which can work with that.

But, in your ideabook, you have this (which I love, but is modern.

Living Room · More Info

and this (love the simplicity and unusual colors) but is yet again another direction.

Bold, Bright and Beautiful · More Info

Now, I can see the 2 of the above working while still incorporating a touch of rustic. Example, Bessie would work with these. But, not the huge clock in the family room.

So, can you say what direction is your goal?

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cdr, I truly appreciate your advice and time!! I added that pic to my idea book because I loved the painting. I guess my style is transitional. I tend to lean more traditional/conservative with some pieces such as furniture, but I don’t mind fun splashes of colorful modern artwork that I can switch out when I grow tired of it. I hope that makes sense. I love the pottery barn look.

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

He was ready to purchase the rug today, but I panicked when I noticed it was a final sale item. I guess it was a blessing in disguise. I’ve taken a long time deciding on the rug because it’s a purchase that I will live with for the next 10-15 years. I’m hesitant to buy a synthetic rug because I’m not sure if it’ll look cheap and wonder how long it’ll last.

• Theresa Janssen
    4 years ago

yes yes yes to the pottery barn rug. and, absolutely love the pic of the lake. wondering if u have a different room it could go to where there is more color.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

"I tend to lean more traditional/conservative with some pieces such as furniture, but I don’t mind fun splashes of colorful modern artwork that I can switch out when I grow tired of it. I hope that makes sense. I love the pottery barn look."

This is what you said, and actually this is the way I encourage my clients to think (unless they have unlimited funds to change out more permanent items every few years.

1) So, hearing this, you should not buy the coral rug, unless you want a coral theme for 15 years. Instead, buy a textured rug (or you can live with or no rug at all (and spend the $ elsewhere).

2) I would choose a piece of modern art for the buffet and go from there

3) You say you like modern art, but I see none, with the exception of Bessie that is more contemporary that actually modern. But, at least not traditional

4) Stay away from too many word signs. I already see 2. That trend has sort of come and gone Just being honest with you. It begins to look like a Hobby Lobby store.

5) The hug clock thing has also come and gone. It also looks very traditional.

6) Overall, you have too many large dominant things on your walls.

7) Start with the dining room and make that fantastic and move from there.

8) Table near the stairs is overloaded and the checkered theme looks like something you should move away from. I would eliminate that table altogether.

9) Once you choose art, I would put something more colorful in the center of the table.

10) If you do want a runner, that can be looked at, but I'd get something that fits the length of the table.......does not run over the ends. Consider something unique.

Here are some photos I pulled right off PB. Notice they all have dark tables and neutral rugs with a pop of color. Traditional and modern mixed. Can change the art at any time and have a totally different look. Cannot do that with that coral rug. You are locked for 15 years.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

........and you don't have to have a rug. Less is more.

Awbrey Butte Renewal · More Info

Transitional & Eco-Friendly Cottage · More Info

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

Great suggestion on doing a textured rug rather than a color! We have a similarly dark rectangular table and chairs and put a seagrass rug on the floor. Take a look at some of the photos on Laurel Bern's site and you'll get an idea - we love the fresher look it brings. Ours is a Safavieh natural basketweave/beige binding and was less than $200 for an 8x10 (our table is 42" x 72").

• AC LB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cdr, thank you so much for sharing your talents so generously! I agree that I need to move on from the word wall art trend! I’d love to replace my home sign with wall art... just looking for the right piece to replace it with. I will focus on completing my dining room first then move on to tackling my living room. I will update this thread as I make progress!
    I ha e considered a natural rug in the past, but have felt it would just add to the brown monotone color of my space, but I guess if I add colorful art it would solve that problem. Thank you again for your help !
    Michelle, I’d love to see a picture of your rug with your dining table! Thank you for sharing:).

• tgb1
    4 years ago

Just have to comment that I so appreciate when CDR is involved in a dilemma.

Her advice and reasoning is always excellent imo....

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thank you and good luck!

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

@AC LB here are a couple of photos of our seagrass rug. Hard to get a good pic during the day since there are windows and the slider causing a lot of backlighting