Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valal111

NEWBIE SEED PROJECT JANUARY 2020

val (MA z6)
4 years ago

If you are reading this thread and it's later than JANUARY 2020, this offer is expired (but look to see if there's one for the current month). Each month I will post a new thread if I have seeds to offer Houzz/GW members! (Generally the project is run late fall thru spring, but donations have been down, and I will offer seeds as long as I have them to give)

WELCOME to Gardenweb!

New to gardening? New to Houzz/GW? Just getting started or coming back to gardening again?

I have a number of packets of seeds to offer -- Each has a variety of AT LEAST 30+ Flower or Veggie seeds (often more!) thanks to the generous donations of several Houzz/GW gardeners. This offer is for US only and Houzz garden members. It is a ONE time offer for newbies.

TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE READ ALL of this post, Make sure you FOLLOW the rules, and read the thread for UPDATES.

If you dont follow each step, I will NOT respond to your message/post

1. Post your request HERE -- AND send me a Houzz message via Houzz private message. INCLUDE:

-- your Houzz name AND your REAL name, and address. Your Houzz name should be more than a cryptic # as your name

-- Tell me a little bit about you and your garden or soon-to-be garden. You do not have to post this publicly

--Specify If you want flowers OR veggie/herb seeds

2. Please enable your message capability so you can receive messages. (See post below that Leila was nice enough to compile re:TECH HELP -including setting up messaging). It's a good idea to set this up so you can communicate and trade with other Houzz users, and this requirement is so that you have a chance to practice messaging.

3. You must send 11 “forever” stamps; I will provide bubble mailer.

If you prefer, you can send $7 (east of mississippi -- West of Mississippi is $8) via paypal; my paypal email provided upon request. Tell me which you prefer in your message. When using paypal, use the "send to friends" option or add an extra 75 cents for fees they charge

The stamps/paypal you are sending pays for the postage to send your seeds to you, the bubble envelope I provide to send them in, and any extra help with extra supplies such as tape, ziploc seed baggies, etc. Additional donations are always appreciated!

PLEASE SEND YOUR STAMPS or Paypal PROMPTLY once you get my address -- so I receive within TWO WEEKS. Dont use your business or a friend's address. We've had problems in this respect. Any seeds that are lost will not be replaced. I do use tracking.

When you send your seeds, include a reminder as to whether you want flower or veggie/herb seeds.

4. The packet contents depends on what has been donated, but offers a wide variety of seeds for the cost! This project is to help get you started for a minimal cost. (You cant get more than 2-3 packs of seeds at the store or on line for this price),

This our our way to welcoming you to the GW/Houzz Garden Community! We look forward to getting to know you! We hope you will stick around and join in the trading and the chat and help build our community of gardeners into a larger base for sharing, learning, etc!

Dont be shy -- feel free to post and join the fun! Introduce yourself and ask questions if you need help!

Have fun and Happy Gardening!

If you’re new to the forums and haven’t read this post, you might find it helpful:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/3371179/attention-newbies-please-read?n=33

SEE THREAD BELOW for Tech Help

Comments (19)

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Technical Help for Newbies

PLEASE GO TO YOUR EDIT PROFILE PAGE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS LISTED CORRECTLY.

Then go to ADVANCED SETTINGS (<<--click here)

(located under “Account” on the left side of the “edit profile” page or at-

https://www.houzz.com/settingsAdvanced )

Scroll down to "Privacy settings"

and select the option of “ALLOW ANYONE TO MESSAGE ME” under "Who can message me".

click on "UPDATE" when you are done to store your settings.

==========================================

To add your growing zone:

Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS

Look for - Climate Zone for Garden Forums - and fill in your zone.

======================================================

To make/edit your wants list:

Go to ADVANCED SETTINGS

-Then click on the box under “My GardenWeb Trading List”

-Type/paste in your seeds in a vertical list

(much easier to read than a horizontal list with commas between).

==========================================================

To access these settings:

if you are currently logged in, click on your name anywhere on the

site, or the “Your Houzz” button at the top right of any page.

Then go to ===> Edit Profile ===> Advanced Settings (located under “Account”on the left)

also, this page can be accessed by going directly to the web address - https://www.houzz.com/settingsAdvanced

this is the page where you can edit your preferences, allow people to

email you, list your growing zone, and fill in your have/ want lists.

(THANKS LEILA for

putting this together!)

• Adam Dudd
    4 years ago

Hello! Im looking forward to getting a veggie garden started in my yard here in Texas! I’m excited to find this seed exchange. I’ll send a private message with more details. Thanks!

• Judy Stubblefield
    4 years ago

Hi! I am planning to try hydroponic gardening this year. I have done traditional backyard gardening for years but now that I'm retired and travel more I thought tower gardens (both indoor and outdoor) might work better for me. I would love to have strawberries in my tower along with all types of herbs and mixed greens for salads (lettuce varieties, spinach, arugula). I look forward to sharing my experiences and appreciate the opportunity to get started with this newbie seed project.

• Kaitlin Harrington Putman
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi I'm brand new to gardening and would love to have some seeds to help get a garden started. My husband and myself want to know where more of our food comes from and grow our own herbs fruit and vegetables. I'm also messaging you!

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    4 years ago

Val - I mailed you a package of seeds. Please let me know when they arrive. Thanks.

• adrian8231
    4 years ago

Hello, I'd love to get herb/veggie seeds for my little land I have in my backyard and start planting as soon as the weather is good for planting

• Javon Steffen
    4 years ago

Hi, I have a home with some land for the first time. And I'm loving trying various trees, shrubs, veggies, herbs. This is my first time trying anything from seed doing the winter sowing technique. I would love to start off small and this seems like a great way to try some veggies/herbs.

• User
    4 years ago

Hello! I'm so excited to find this community! I tried gardening about 7 years ago, but due to health problems, didn't have much success.

This year I will have 4 4x10' raised beds, and I'm so excited (and a little overwhelmed!). I currently do not have any seeds to get started with, and I was hoping to connect with others in order to share seeds (once I have some available). I'm very interested in open pollinated varieties so that I can save the seeds and share with others!

• Curtis Atkisson
    4 years ago

Hey! My name is Curtis and I recently moved from CA to VT and finally have a tiny bit of land to plant on (.5 acre). I'm excited to take my hobby gardening and transition it to the majority of my food production in the unforgiving climate of VT!

• Kenneth Britt
    4 years ago

Hello, from Alaska. With the long winter, Im looking forward to having some fresh vegetables. Id be much appreciatitve to recieve some seeds. I'll be messaging you with info requested. Thank you.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nicole: You messaged me, but must post here and set up your messaging please.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kenneth, please message me your information via private message per the above post requests. Thank you!

• Colleen Vanderlinden
    4 years ago

Hello! I am so grateful to find this. I would love flower seeds. A couple of years ago we moved into a new house and garden in zone 4 Michigan (from Zone 6) and while I've been growing vegetables, i'd really like to have more flowers this year.

• Melissa Birlem
    4 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm excited to have happened across this forum. As a child, I spent countless hours in the garden with my grandfather. I can remember the excitement on his face every time I asked if I could come help. One of my favorite memories is picking snap peas when my grandpa looked over asking if my basket was full. I had been doing the "2 for me, 1 for the basket" gig so I just giggled. My grandpa had the biggest grin on his face and we spent the better part of that evening just laughing in the garden. That was the last gardening season we had together. Next week - Valentine's Day - marks 27 years since my grandfather passed. I feel closest to him in the garden and cannot wait to get back in the dirt.

We recently moved to Tennessee (zone 7a) and now have the space to create the food forest I have always dreamed of. Our "garden" will encompass the better part of 3/4 acre in our front yard. I intend to use permaculture principles as well as hugelkulture(sp?) to develop a low-maintenance food source. If anyone has any tips on permaculture I am looking for as much knowledge as possible. My grandfather's garden was much smaller than what I am planning and he used traditional gardening practices.

The goal is to be self-sufficient in at least 80% of our produce and eventually grains. We travel too much to raise our own proteins so I intend to grow enough produce to swap with others. That being said, free and/or cheap seeds will help make this dream a reality.

Question - For herbs, what are your opinions on planting them in the food forest versus having an herb garden close to the kitchen? This is one piece I haven't been able to fully decide. On one hand I see the benefits of keeping them in the forest (pollination, pest control, nutrients, etc) but I also like the idea of having them closer to the kitchen.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Happy planting,

Melissa

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi melissa,

I think where you plant your herbs is totally (IMHO) your choice. I do plant some herbs esp'lly basil in a keg planters on my deck because it's so convenient, but I'll be planting more in a veggie garden area that we've just set up this past fall. You can do either or both. I would think the pollinators will find your herbs even if they are not within your 'forest'; mine do, but in full disclosure, I have alot of flowers around my deck too! Maybe you can try both if and see which works best for you...if you are so inclined!

I got your private message and wil reply

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Guess I better create a February Newbie post!

• Melissa Birlem
    4 years ago

Val, thank you for your response. I think I'll try both locations and see what works best. I'll get an envelope out to you tomorrow.

• val (MA z6)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have responded to everyone above. If you have not heard from me, I did not get a Private Message from you.

Kenneth Britt, no message from you -- ?