Software
Houzz Logo Print
dgilseth

NEED WINDOW TREATMENT SUGGESTION

6 years ago

This window is in the living room. I had garland up for Christmas and liked how it softened the bareness. This is a 50's ranch style home - rustic. Not interested in anything frilly. I was thinking maybe wooden shutters? But I dont know how that would work stacked close to the front door. Would appreciate any and all ideas from this creative group!


Comments (15)

  • 6 years ago

    sheer panels that have an open weave linen texture. like below, but I'd suggest off-white.



    dgilseth thanked User
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Drapes and not just panels but actual drapes that can close and still look good. I do at least 2.5 x the width of the rod. I would use solar shades on the window to block heat and UV rays and keep the view and close the drapes at night if you need privacy. Wooden shutters will block the view and IMO not be a good choice for the space.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Patricia, what do you mean, "2.5 x the width of the rod?" Also, would you hang from crown moulding or lower? How far past the end of the window?


  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    decoenthusiaste -- I wouldn't put the rod all the way up against the ceiling like that. maybe just a personal preference? is that what designers really recommend?

  • 6 years ago

    Looks to be typical 8' ceilings. The higher you mount the rod the better the illusion of more space because the eye is drawn up. If there were 5' of space between the window and ceiling I would not advise taking them to the ceiling, but this is not the case here. When they're open, the rod is drawing a pretty severe line where it is mounted. It stops the eye and communicates that the dark line is the top of the room, and the drapes do the same when closed. It is just a designer trick to visually enlarge the space.

    dgilseth thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm thinking plantation shutters with vertical dividers to break up the long expanse of a window, or a roman shades mounted high to increase the perceived height.



    Basically, your room would look great if you make it just like this picture.




  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Maybe pick up the rust color used in your toss pillows.


    dgilseth thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 6 years ago

    Ooo! I like the plantation shutters. Would you put a valance above them for a little more color? Or would that inhibit the ability to open them?

  • 6 years ago

    Hi @dgilseth ! Glad you like them.


    I would not put a valance above them. They look great on there own. Less is more in this case. It gives the windows architectural interest without being too busy. I've gotten shutters with installation through Home Depot in the past. They will probably cost about $600-$800 for that window. You can also try to find them online and get the correct size.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you so much. I really appreciate your suggestions.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    GO UP! UP! Yes, mount the drapery rods as HIGH as you can. You'll be happier with the overall look.

    Or perhaps, Roman Shades?

    Roman Shades · More Info


    dgilseth thanked Gordon's Window Decor
  • 6 years ago

    Most people might be opposed but what about verticals? There are so many fabric and faux designs available.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I mean you decide how wide you want the rod and then multiply that by 2.5 and that is how wide the drapes need to be so that tells you how many panels you need and of course you need the same # on both sides . As for where to hang the rod if you are buying ready made drapes the length of them will decide that. I think there won’t be big issue with stack back next to the door as long as you don’t go too heavy for the fabric

    dgilseth thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting