FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

bayarea_girl

Can't "Like" Problem and Alternatives

bayarea_girl_z9ca
last modified: January 8, 2020

I think some new Houzz developer is playing with their codes again and caused the "Like" option not working on the mobile version. However, if you really want to "Like" some posts, the alternative is using the "Like" option on a desktop/laptop version. Hopefully they will fix it soon. Helen

• jerijen

I also have found that there is now no means of editing or correcting a post.

AH! That's back!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked jerijen
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

I noticed the like problem yesterday.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

Would like to install a gas fireplace insert but have been told it can't be done

I can come up with a solution, sure...but not within the confines of reusing the existing fireplace. The two open sides of the fire box restrict the solutions possible. Tearing out the existing hood, flue and hearth will allow the rebuild to incorporate your goals. I apologize for the bad news...but sometimes what we have to work with proves unworkable.

Feels like the room is missing something but I can't figure out what

First of all, I love the print curtains and the white chairs and coffee table. I agree with another poster that you should place the TV on the dark console table and move it to the center of the back wall and then add bookshelves on each side. I too believe you should have the chairs facing the TV in its new location. The prints, which you originally had on the back wall, could go on the left wall (opposite the windows) and join other photos in forming a gallery display. I would suggest you move the white coffee table to a place in front of a window and add a lamp and some green, leafy plants to bring life, color, and air into the room.

Can't Paint The Walls? No Problem.

Great as usual Nicole! I'm glad you posted about alternative ways to introduce color; I think people often overlook these methods. Thumbs up!

found a vanity O liked buy need a cheaper alternative

I just verified on my phone that the Houzz app does not show the "More Info" button, so people on mobile devices can't make use of that feature. How annoying is that? Thanks, suzanne, for posting the link. Hope the OP comes back to see it.
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4

Laptop with Windows 10 and Like button also not working for me.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

Testing editing 1.

Testing editing 2.

Jerijen, I tried editing through browsers on both my phone and computer, and it works for me. Do you still have problems editing posts? Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

FrozeBudd, which browser do you use with Windows 10? If it's not Chrome browser, please try with Chrome browser and let me know if you still have the same problem with using "Like". Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Desk top, Mac, Chrome doesn't work for me.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • jerijen

Bay Area -- No. It works fine today.

A couple of days ago, when I NEEDED it, the Edit function was gone.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked jerijen
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

flower, which OS (Windows, Mac, others) is on your desktop?

Jerijen, it's good to hear that it's working now for you. Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

OS X El Capitan

version 10 . 11 . 6

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Thanks flower. Hopefully, they will fix this problem soon, and it will work for you. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

I posted the problem on Houzz Instagram so hopefully they will ask their developers to fix it soon https://www.instagram.com/houzz/ . Helen

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

No "like" on either Chrome or Firefox. I can rarely ever edit on my phone and can NEVER type on it ... only on my laptop. That's why I use voice recognition on my phone and edit the nonsense it transcribes later on my laptop.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

Vaporvac, thanks for update. I believe the not working "Like" button only happens the last few days. However, I'm guessing the not be able to type on a phone (using Chrome browser) problem has been with you for a while?

Just curious, is your phone an iPhone, Android or other?

I use browsers to access Houzz either on an iPhone or a mac laptop and not their app. Helen

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Yes. The "like: botton issue is just the past few days. I have an Android phone and it's a Chrome browser. I don't use Houzz's app. Every once in a while I can edit on my phone after hitting submit and once I could even type, but it's 99% non-functional. Well, I can edit if I close out of VR and erase and type. It will duplicate what I type about 4x, then I can erase what's not necessary going through a couple more weird steps. Not worth it so I just wait until I am back at a computer if it's a long post. You'd have to be here to see it in action! I really don't know who they're hiring on this site.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Vaporvac, I agree that for your case, using a computer is less hassle. Helen

• Dar

I am having this issue on desktop (Chrome/macOS). It worked one time after like a dozen tries but still broken for the most aprt.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Dar
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

Dar, thank you for sharing the info. Helen

• Lisa Adams

Oddly enough, I have had no problem liking posts on my iPhone. Go figure. Lisa

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Lisa Adams
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

The issue nicely resolved itself on my phone, but not my laptop. Maybe they're working on it.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Vaporvac, that's very good to hear. Thank you for the update. Helen

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Doesnt work on my phone or ipad :/

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Still not working for me either. :-(

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

I think for the majority of us, the "Like" button still doesn't work on mobile devices (phone/tablets). Helen

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Well, I spoke too soon. It stopped working. :-( I guess it's so disappointing because often I'll just like a post and I don't have time to comment on it or just want to let the poster know I've read it and appreciated their time.

• bart_2015

In case any of you have noticed, I haven't been posting much recently; in part it's just because I'm kind of fed up with Houzz. I can't "like" posts either; I'm using our home computer,but the thing that really irked me was the fact that I discovered that Houzz apparently "leaked" my e-mail address to spammers. What happened was that our computer broke down,and when it was fixed I had to re-instate myself on this forum. In the course of doing this, the security system informed me that there had been these 2 breaches on the part of this site. But still, Houzz insisted that I invent a fancy new password, with all these picky little requirements (stuff like: "the password must contain at least one number, one capital letter,such-and-so many digits, etc, etc etc) ,in order to make it "secure". In other words, thay make me jump through all these hoops,but it's just a sham and a scam,since they themselves leak the password anyway. Also, someone mentioned in a post that, if you post a photo, that photo then becomes the property of Houzz. If this is true, even if I do sometime get a camera, I certainly won't go through the hassle of figuring how to post photos! I enjoy this little "virtual community" that has been made here on this forum,but this Houzz stuff is too irritating and is making me lose motivation.

• Emily H

Hey there, If you are having problems with functionality on the site, please contact our support team through http://help.houzz.com so they will be aware of any issues that come up. Be sure to include your browser and version information in your message.

To troubleshoot in the meantime, please make sure that your browser is up to date. If it is not, update and see if the problem recurs for you. If you have it in your current browser, try a different browser, to see if the problem is isolated to only one browser type. Also check whether you have the same issue on gardenweb.com and houzz.com urls - sometimes there can be a strange issue on one but not the other.

@bart_2015 There's a lot here that I want to be sure to clarify for you. Last January, we notified all users of a security incident on the site (no passwords were compromised) but we advised changing passwords to everyone out of an abundance of caution. For a few folks, when we could tell that their password was particularly insecure, we forced a password reset to help them better secure their account. Houzz does not leak any passwords. That is incorrect. As far as photos go, you do not give up your ownership of your photo when you upload it to Houzz, however you do grant Houzz a license to use it, otherwise we could not store it or display it on the site, so there wouldn't be much point in uploading it if we couldn't show it to anyone else. Hope that makes sense!

If there are other questions, please shoot us a message through the link above. Thanks!

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Emily H
  • MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet

My post editing abilities are gone too!
    That's frustrating!

Steven

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1,029 feet
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I still can't like and I use a laptop. Nothing else is amiss, though. Diane

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Emily, thanks for checking in. I think the frustration comes from those of us who have done as you ask and received pro-forma responses that solved nothing. It's been well over a year since I can type on my phone or edit on my phone. The "like" button comes and goes which make s it even more annoying. This site is lucky anyone remains.

• bart_2015

I agree, vaporvac. I'm certainly not going to argue with Emily's comments to me, but I don't feel at all convinced or mollified. I think I did change my password when the warning came out,but can't be sure. I do know that ,when my computer was back up after it's break-down, that our security system stated that there had been leaks, and this site was responsible; furthermore,I began recieving the spam WAY before that password warning from Houzz came up,and since the spam I recieve is stuff about how I can supposedly earn big bucks whilst staying at home on the computer,it does seem logical that this site is somehow behind it. I don't participate in any other "social forum" thingie-I do have a Facebook account, but rarely use it to post anything myself; it's just for staying more in touch with cousins, etc. I'm NOT saying that anyone is lying, etc-I'm just saying that there has been some kind of confusion and I don't think that I'm entirely to blame,and I don't much like fiddling around with this stuff. If the Houzz people can't make it safe and simple,it isn't really worth bothering with. It's just a forum.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked bart_2015
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Spot on, vaporvac, especially about the "pro forma" responses. Diane

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Some positive news. Houzz on Instagram responded today that Houzz is working on the issue. Helen

• Emily H

Hey there, It's true! Our team has identified the issue and are working on a fix as we speak. Thanks for your patience. I know it can be frustrating.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Emily H
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thank you, Emily. Any chance you guys could work on the phone erasing issue? Many of us can't type on our phones, both iphone and android. It erases everything typed. One can use voice Recognition, but any edits are also erased so many (of my) posts are practically unreadable.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Thank you Emily :) Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

I just tested, and the Like button is working again now on my iPhone. I used the default browser on my iPhone (Safari). Thanks Emily and the Houzz’s team for fixing the problem. Others can test and see if it is fixed for them. Helen

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Hi Emily, since you are here I wonder if you can mention this to the Dev team to make the page more user friendly.

On mobile devices, if I click on a thumbnail of an image or click on Like to see the list of people who liked a post, I will see an overlay that shows the bigger size image or list of Liked users. However, when I close those, the page is refreshed and I was scrolled up to the beginning of the page. This is very inconvenient for a long page with many posts. For example, I open a thumbnail of an image, then got scrolled to the beginning of the page, then I have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to click on another thumbnail.

There are many ways to fix this problem. One of the ways is using Ajax so the page position stays the same, no page refreshed. Your Dev team can use whatever method that they think will work best. Thanks Emily. Helen

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Mentioning that Helen thank you. That happens to me too and its really annoying. It seems to happen just on my phone.

• suzanne_in_virginia 7b

The Like button has just now come back for me, in the past hour. I'm on ipad usually, but also have Windows 10 desktop.

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked suzanne_in_virginia 7b
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Yea !! It is working :))

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • threeboxerlover DEZ7a

I'm adding to this comment thread because I cannot start a new thread for some reason! I also cannot use the search function (I wanted to search for comments about a particular rose I'm thinking of purchasing). Has anyone else had these issues?

bayarea_girl_z9ca thanked threeboxerlover DEZ7a
  • bayarea_girl_z9ca

threeboxer, I current don't have that problem. Are you on your phone or computer? If one doesn't work, have you tried that with the other one and see if you have the same problem?

System Info:

- Mobile (phone/iPad) or computer

- OS (Window, Mac, others)

- Use browser or Houzz app to access the page

Helen

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

well, i said that really quickly that Like button works [yesterday ] but this morning i could not used it and to make things worst i was typing a comment and i realized the Submit button is not there. So, i could not post anything. Did anyone experience this ??

The whole morning and afternoon was malfunctioning until now. The Likes is working again and i see Submit button in green but words now is erasing off or if i correct it it disappears again and again unless i leave the site and redo everything again then i got frustrated and didn't bother.

i wont be surprised if i got cut off again :{{

jin

• threeboxerlover DEZ7a

Thanks Helen! I was on my computer, now I’m on my IPad and it is working here.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Had the same thing happened with the submit button last night but when I refreshed it started again.