Software
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea_girl

Can't "Like" Problem and Alternatives

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I think some new Houzz developer is playing with their codes again and caused the "Like" option not working on the mobile version. However, if you really want to "Like" some posts, the alternative is using the "Like" option on a desktop/laptop version. Hopefully they will fix it soon. Helen

Comments (45)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I also have found that there is now no means of editing or correcting a post.

    AH! That's back!

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago

    I noticed the like problem yesterday.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Laptop with Windows 10 and Like button also not working for me.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Testing editing 1.

    Testing editing 2.

    Jerijen, I tried editing through browsers on both my phone and computer, and it works for me. Do you still have problems editing posts? Helen

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    FrozeBudd, which browser do you use with Windows 10? If it's not Chrome browser, please try with Chrome browser and let me know if you still have the same problem with using "Like". Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Desk top, Mac, Chrome doesn't work for me.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago

    Bay Area -- No. It works fine today.

    A couple of days ago, when I NEEDED it, the Edit function was gone.


    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    flower, which OS (Windows, Mac, others) is on your desktop?

    Jerijen, it's good to hear that it's working now for you. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    OS X El Capitan

    version 10 . 11 . 6


    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks flower. Hopefully, they will fix this problem soon, and it will work for you. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    I posted the problem on Houzz Instagram so hopefully they will ask their developers to fix it soon https://www.instagram.com/houzz/ . Helen


  • 6 years ago

    No "like" on either Chrome or Firefox. I can rarely ever edit on my phone and can NEVER type on it ... only on my laptop. That's why I use voice recognition on my phone and edit the nonsense it transcribes later on my laptop.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Vaporvac, thanks for update. I believe the not working "Like" button only happens the last few days. However, I'm guessing the not be able to type on a phone (using Chrome browser) problem has been with you for a while?

    Just curious, is your phone an iPhone, Android or other?

    I use browsers to access Houzz either on an iPhone or a mac laptop and not their app. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Yes. The "like: botton issue is just the past few days. I have an Android phone and it's a Chrome browser. I don't use Houzz's app. Every once in a while I can edit on my phone after hitting submit and once I could even type, but it's 99% non-functional. Well, I can edit if I close out of VR and erase and type. It will duplicate what I type about 4x, then I can erase what's not necessary going through a couple more weird steps. Not worth it so I just wait until I am back at a computer if it's a long post. You'd have to be here to see it in action! I really don't know who they're hiring on this site.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Vaporvac, I agree that for your case, using a computer is less hassle. Helen

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I am having this issue on desktop (Chrome/macOS). It worked one time after like a dozen tries but still broken for the most aprt.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Dar Sunset Zone 18
  • 6 years ago

    Dar, thank you for sharing the info. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Oddly enough, I have had no problem liking posts on my iPhone. Go figure. Lisa

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    The issue nicely resolved itself on my phone, but not my laptop. Maybe they're working on it.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Vaporvac, that's very good to hear. Thank you for the update. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Doesnt work on my phone or ipad :/

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    Still not working for me either. :-(

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 6 years ago

    I think for the majority of us, the "Like" button still doesn't work on mobile devices (phone/tablets). Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Well, I spoke too soon. It stopped working. :-( I guess it's so disappointing because often I'll just like a post and I don't have time to comment on it or just want to let the poster know I've read it and appreciated their time.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    In case any of you have noticed, I haven't been posting much recently; in part it's just because I'm kind of fed up with Houzz. I can't "like" posts either; I'm using our home computer,but the thing that really irked me was the fact that I discovered that Houzz apparently "leaked" my e-mail address to spammers. What happened was that our computer broke down,and when it was fixed I had to re-instate myself on this forum. In the course of doing this, the security system informed me that there had been these 2 breaches on the part of this site. But still, Houzz insisted that I invent a fancy new password, with all these picky little requirements (stuff like: "the password must contain at least one number, one capital letter,such-and-so many digits, etc, etc etc) ,in order to make it "secure". In other words, thay make me jump through all these hoops,but it's just a sham and a scam,since they themselves leak the password anyway. Also, someone mentioned in a post that, if you post a photo, that photo then becomes the property of Houzz. If this is true, even if I do sometime get a camera, I certainly won't go through the hassle of figuring how to post photos! I enjoy this little "virtual community" that has been made here on this forum,but this Houzz stuff is too irritating and is making me lose motivation.

  • 6 years ago

    Hey there, If you are having problems with functionality on the site, please contact our support team through http://help.houzz.com so they will be aware of any issues that come up. Be sure to include your browser and version information in your message.


    To troubleshoot in the meantime, please make sure that your browser is up to date. If it is not, update and see if the problem recurs for you. If you have it in your current browser, try a different browser, to see if the problem is isolated to only one browser type. Also check whether you have the same issue on gardenweb.com and houzz.com urls - sometimes there can be a strange issue on one but not the other.


    @User There's a lot here that I want to be sure to clarify for you. Last January, we notified all users of a security incident on the site (no passwords were compromised) but we advised changing passwords to everyone out of an abundance of caution. For a few folks, when we could tell that their password was particularly insecure, we forced a password reset to help them better secure their account. Houzz does not leak any passwords. That is incorrect. As far as photos go, you do not give up your ownership of your photo when you upload it to Houzz, however you do grant Houzz a license to use it, otherwise we could not store it or display it on the site, so there wouldn't be much point in uploading it if we couldn't show it to anyone else. Hope that makes sense!


    If there are other questions, please shoot us a message through the link above. Thanks!

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Emily Hurley
  • 6 years ago

    My post editing abilities are gone too!
    That's frustrating!

    Steven

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
  • 6 years ago

    I still can't like and I use a laptop. Nothing else is amiss, though. Diane

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • 6 years ago

    I agree, vaporvac. I'm certainly not going to argue with Emily's comments to me, but I don't feel at all convinced or mollified. I think I did change my password when the warning came out,but can't be sure. I do know that ,when my computer was back up after it's break-down, that our security system stated that there had been leaks, and this site was responsible; furthermore,I began recieving the spam WAY before that password warning from Houzz came up,and since the spam I recieve is stuff about how I can supposedly earn big bucks whilst staying at home on the computer,it does seem logical that this site is somehow behind it. I don't participate in any other "social forum" thingie-I do have a Facebook account, but rarely use it to post anything myself; it's just for staying more in touch with cousins, etc. I'm NOT saying that anyone is lying, etc-I'm just saying that there has been some kind of confusion and I don't think that I'm entirely to blame,and I don't much like fiddling around with this stuff. If the Houzz people can't make it safe and simple,it isn't really worth bothering with. It's just a forum.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Spot on, vaporvac, especially about the "pro forma" responses. Diane

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Some positive news. Houzz on Instagram responded today that Houzz is working on the issue. Helen


  • 6 years ago

    Hey there, It's true! Our team has identified the issue and are working on a fix as we speak. Thanks for your patience. I know it can be frustrating.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Emily Hurley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you, Emily. Any chance you guys could work on the phone erasing issue? Many of us can't type on our phones, both iphone and android. It erases everything typed. One can use voice Recognition, but any edits are also erased so many (of my) posts are practically unreadable.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Emily :) Helen

  • 6 years ago

    I just tested, and the Like button is working again now on my iPhone. I used the default browser on my iPhone (Safari). Thanks Emily and the Houzz’s team for fixing the problem. Others can test and see if it is fixed for them. Helen

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Hi Emily, since you are here I wonder if you can mention this to the Dev team to make the page more user friendly.

    On mobile devices, if I click on a thumbnail of an image or click on Like to see the list of people who liked a post, I will see an overlay that shows the bigger size image or list of Liked users. However, when I close those, the page is refreshed and I was scrolled up to the beginning of the page. This is very inconvenient for a long page with many posts. For example, I open a thumbnail of an image, then got scrolled to the beginning of the page, then I have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to click on another thumbnail.

    There are many ways to fix this problem. One of the ways is using Ajax so the page position stays the same, no page refreshed. Your Dev team can use whatever method that they think will work best. Thanks Emily. Helen

  • 6 years ago

    Mentioning that Helen thank you. That happens to me too and its really annoying. It seems to happen just on my phone.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    The Like button has just now come back for me, in the past hour. I'm on ipad usually, but also have Windows 10 desktop.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked suzanne_in_virginia 8a
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Yea !! It is working :))

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    I'm adding to this comment thread because I cannot start a new thread for some reason! I also cannot use the search function (I wanted to search for comments about a particular rose I'm thinking of purchasing). Has anyone else had these issues?

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked threeboxerlover DEZ7a
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    threeboxer, I current don't have that problem. Are you on your phone or computer? If one doesn't work, have you tried that with the other one and see if you have the same problem?

    System Info:

    - Mobile (phone/iPad) or computer

    - OS (Window, Mac, others)

    - Use browser or Houzz app to access the page

    Helen

  • 6 years ago

    well, i said that really quickly that Like button works [yesterday ] but this morning i could not used it and to make things worst i was typing a comment and i realized the Submit button is not there. So, i could not post anything. Did anyone experience this ??

    The whole morning and afternoon was malfunctioning until now. The Likes is working again and i see Submit button in green but words now is erasing off or if i correct it it disappears again and again unless i leave the site and redo everything again then i got frustrated and didn't bother.


    i wont be surprised if i got cut off again :{{


    jin

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Helen! I was on my computer, now I’m on my IPad and it is working here.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked threeboxerlover DEZ7a
  • 6 years ago

    Had the same thing happened with the submit button last night but when I refreshed it started again.

    bayarea_girl_z10a_ca thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley