Software
Houzz Logo Print
krista_seattle

Ducher: Vase Life?

6 years ago

Does anyone who grows Ducher know whether or not it has any sort of vase life as a cut flower? I'm trying to make some decisions about my rose collection and am prioritizing vase life and ability to repeat. If anyone has a suggestion of something that will repeat enthusiastically, have a good vase life, stay compact (this is important), and tolerate an unusually hot and sunny exposure in Seattle, WA, I'd be happy to hear suggestions. Fragrance is an extra bonus.

Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    Which Ducher are do you mean? Here is a link to HMF, which lists several. It would be easier for people to comment if they knew which one on this list you are talking about -


    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/plants.php?searchNmTyp=5&searchNm=Ducher&rid=4175&sbSearch=SEARCH&tab=1

    K S 7a Yakima thanked jacqueline9CA
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I mean "Ducher" the found China/Tea, Earth Kind, white rose, nice bushy habit.

  • 6 years ago

    I had to get rid of my 'Tea-China 'Ducher' because It had defoliated so badly from powdery mildew. I replaced it with 'Westside Road Cream Tea' an angelic dream of a Tea rose.

    - is reliably fragrant and under the right conditions deeply, and richly fragrant .

    - has an average vase life for its class. .

    -produces masses of rose blossoms during each flush.

    - has rapid rebloom.

    - lots of attractive leaves

    - has a bushy growth habit.

    This wonderful rose is at the very front of my rose garden beside a 'Mlle Cecille Brunner' and a very fragrant pink 'Breath of Heaven' I live c. 7 miles east of San Francisco, Ca and this year W.R.C.T. produced a full flush of bloom in January.


    Lux.


    .

    K S 7a Yakima thanked HU-284226487
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Lux! Westside Road Cream Tea sounds divine! It is currently not available, but I am going to put this on my list for the future.


    I'm also toying with the idea of Souvenir de la Malmaison (although I had a band of this one and it died from an unknown fungal attack -- which I am taking as a bad sign, though Souvenir de Saint Anne's does well for me), Archduke Charles, or Snowbird. Snowbird seems like it would make the best cut flowers, but there are conflicting reports about how large it wants to be. Maybe I'll post a question about experiences with Snowbird in the PNW to see if anyone can enlighten me on this point.

  • 6 years ago

    Weird, i wrote 3 times with pics and it wont post.



    K S 7a Yakima thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    I'm sad that it erased your original post, but that picture is lovely. :)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Aha, post with one pic only. Weird :((

    Anyways, Ducher is a beautiful, beautiful rose. It is always in bloom and in my micro climate , Ducher is very clean and has ZERO BS.

    I dont know about vase life bec i always give my roses away.





    K S 7a Yakima thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for posting your pictures, Jin. Your Ducher is beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks , K S. I finally change from black thumb to a green one. It is very hard to take pics. This Ducher is very tall and wide. It does has a fragrance and it is sweet like a wine or so i was told since i could not describe it :)

    I just look up on HMF on members rating and as a cut flower it is excellent. It does has great ratings except on fragrance.

    I better post before it goes to cyber space.



    K S 7a Yakima thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    K S, SdlM is borderline here. It looks good by Fall, but loves Ingrid in So Calif so much better. It never seems that happy here.

    K S 7a Yakima thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    I agree with Lux about Westside Road Cream Tea. I only have a band planted in a pot, and it's one of the best white roses in my garden. It's simply stunning!


    Westside Road CT:





    Also, I know it's not an antique rose, but Bolero stays small and is, in my garden, a perfect white rose. I'm also in the Seattle area, and Bolero blooms NONSTOP...stays under 4 feet, does well in the rain, and stays VERY healthy.


    Bolero: (all the white roses in the first pic are Bolero...I have a hedge of them)






    K S 7a Yakima thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • 6 years ago

    I definitely need a bigger yard. :)

  • 6 years ago

    P.S. Rosylady, that bouquet of Bolero is lush! I love it.